ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does the mileage make a big difference when looking for a track toy?

passat cc
I'm seeing quite a few £12-£1600 172 clio sports out there for sale and am thinking of getting one for a track car.

Some are at 80K ish miles and a lot are 100 - 120K or up to 140K miles on the clock.

Is mileage a big thing to be concerned about or as long as it has been serviced regularly, should I be overly concerned?

I'm thinking an 80K mileage car or 140K mileage car are both as likely to go bang when on full revs around a track.

What should I be most wary of when looking for the right car to buy?

HFB

turbo 182
Providing it's been well serviced regular oil changes etc I don't see a problem

My engine was on 90000 before I went boost and forged, it never used a drop of oil or water

Dave LM

ClioSport Club Member
  PH1 172
My PH1 was at 130K when I sold it on, having done 7 trackdays in it last year including 20 laps of the 'Ring. When I bought that car (with about 120K), I was looking out for good servicing with regular quality oil changes and flush treatments ideally.
My car used next to no oil, and ran/pulled really well.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
The biggest problem I found when looking for the same thing was the cheaper ones which all have high miles are normally a bag of s**t, which is quite annoying when you have to travel so far to see them. I ended up paying more than I wanted but got one in better condition but still with high miles, if people have looked after the basic things like brakes and kept it in generally good condition its more likely that they have looked after other bits, least thats how my brain works...

Cub.

ClioSport Moderator
As said, buy on condition not mileage.

If it's been well maintained and serviced, and it drives well then buy it. Obviously with more miles I'd check for receipts for replacement of perishables (I.e. Most suspension bushes etc) but that falls under the 'well maintained' comment.

Mine is on 108k and there isn't any mechanical part of it I haven't replaced. So technically, it's like a 20k mile car.

Clio 172 cup
I bought mine on 113k a couple of years ago, we use ours for hill climbs and sprints and it's still going very strong. Another vote here for looking at maintenance over mileage.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Mines on 105 and goes well. I'm picky tbh, but I do and always will like mileage cars. But for a toy, condition first

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
@Sir_Dave would disagree
IMG_1586.jpg

Bought on 170k/5 years old, sold on 187k 2 years later. Sold a 50k mile £7k Trophy to buy it, drove exactly the same.

Was bought solely as a second/track car, so took ALOT of abuse. However, it was maintained impeccably and its only break down was linked to a fault with a new part, not the car (PAS line ruptured after PMS aircon delete fitted). Shouldnt have sold it, but i thought i needed the money. Now replaced with a highly tinkered with MCS, on 100k. It produced a solid 175bhp on 180k, with only an airbox/BTB catback & 90 ron map.

So yeah, my preference is to buy a cheaper car (with higher mileage/in need of work), then pour money into it maintenance wise, then i know parts have been replaced properly, not by some halfwit. Far better idea than buying someone elses "minter" as more often than not, their standards are lower than mine.

172 Cup
Mines on 119k as a track car and it's as strong as an ox! Mwm looked after it for previous owner and said it was a good one (bought it on 110k)

BIFCAIDS

ClioSport Club Member
  340i M-Sport & 182
We managed to find a 2005 182 with 68k on the clock that had full Renault service history, snapped the lads arm off. But I was looking for condition over milage it just happended to be low mileage and in decent condition Win Win.