ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does this seem fishy?

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  2012 Renault Clio
I'm selling a MacBook on gumtree. Had an email come through for it and I thought all was well till I received the last message. Seems odd to me.

IMG_9087.PNG
IMG_9088.PNG
IMG_9089.PNG
Basically what do you guys think and could any damage be done if I handed over the reqeuested info if Kate Williams isn't legit.

Thanks.

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  2012 Renault Clio
My thoughts exactly. There has been no mention of her address, or say a Christmas deadline to justify the £40 postage

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  2012 Renault Clio
I get that. Just the whole last email seems a bit odd. I've just asked where she is based as I would prefer cash on collection/delivery.

If no harm can be done with me giving her the info then I would wait for it to appear in my bank and then happily post.

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  2012 Renault Clio
It is the only way to do a transfer....but...that last email sounds like all the dodgy ones ive ever received lol

Exactly what I thought. Reading online it seems Force was right in saying all they could do is set up a direct debit which I wouldn't have authorised so the bank would have to return it to me.

ADS_V6

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
11   0   0
  Seat Leon
Do not give your details out
That screams out a scam imo
The last email is worded oddly
Anyone could be Kate Williams
I'd ask for a number too speak too her or him.

Reactions: Gus
Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  BMW M4; S1000 RR
Yes that does sound fishy. But if it's a scam, the scam will not be to get your account name and number, that's pretty easy to get anyway.

It'll go something like this:

"My bank said that your details do not match, can I pay by different means"

etc etc

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  2012 Renault Clio
I'd give my details and if they send the money, then send the item. If they don't send the money, don't send the item. Easy peasy.

Does seem this would be a decent route. It just screamed scam to see too but I guess if they can't do anything with the info then it's worth the punt. They are based in London and the ad was on gumtree in Manchester and Sheffield.

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  2014 Clio 200t edc
I was selling a MacBook on gumtree the other day. And someone asked if they could pay by Paypal. I said I'd rather keep it to local buyers so he then said about bank transfer. But that's when it went weird. He wanted it posted out right away and would send me proof of the payment leaving his bank. When I said I wanted to post it when I had cleared funds in my account the chat got shut down by gumtree due to buyer being a fraudulent account.
Seems dodgy to me.

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  2012 Renault Clio
I haven't handed over details yet. Gave them my number 15 mins ago and have not had anything. Obviously I would insist funds had cleared first before it was sent. I first received a message on Friday. I replied on Saturday then got a reply today asking if I still had it. The ad has been up for 5 days now so if you were to search MacBook for the whole of the uk it would be 15-20 pages back in the search. But maybe not if they searched on Friday. It stinks but if no harm can be done and the funds clear I would be silly not to sell I guess.

Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  172 Cup
Yes very fishy, Gumtree was full of scammers when I tried to sell a car on there a while ago, don't use it anymore.

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  BMW M4; S1000 RR
I was selling a MacBook on gumtree the other day. And someone asked if they could pay by Paypal. I said I'd rather keep it to local buyers so he then said about bank transfer. But that's when it went weird. He wanted it posted out right away and would send me proof of the payment leaving his bank. When I said I wanted to post it when I had cleared funds in my account the chat got shut down by gumtree due to buyer being a fraudulent account.
Seems dodgy to me.

Yeah that's about as clever as these scams get. If you give someone bank account number and sort code they can send you money- if they send you the money, it's yours and they can't get it back. If they don't send you the money- you don't give them the goods/services.

Simples.

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  2012 Renault Clio
Update. They have gone completely quiet since I asked them to ring me so most definitely a scam. Didn't give them any details.

Thanks guys and keep an eye out if you're using Gumtree.

oVerboost.

South West
ClioSport Area Rep
Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  Clio 182 LY
As has been said, I'd of said it's a scam. I never use gumtree anymore to sell (or buy, too often full of idiots and badly written adverts). You did the right thing though calling their bluff, either that or they're waiting for the King/Queen scammer to arrive to put on their best British accent and phone you.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of you may remember Clarkson putting his account number and sort code in his column in the Mail, claiming nobody could do anything with it.

Then his account was used to make a sizeable charitable donation. They could have kept the money for themselves but they didn't.

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  BMW M4; S1000 RR
Some of you may remember Clarkson putting his account number and sort code in his column in the Mail, claiming nobody could do anything with it.

Then his account was used to make a sizeable charitable donation. They could have kept the money for themselves but they didn't.

You can't authorise payments with just an account number and sort code, so the bank will have been at fault for letting it happen if it's as straight forward as you make out.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
got dodgy written all over it. I sell on gumtree but they come to my door with the cash. Never involve bank details as there is no regulation or real protection on scumtree. Who buys a high value item second hand without even seeing it or checking. If you sell them a duff macbook the got no real comeback without going to the small claims court, which would be a hassle. Sell it to someone local that's happy with its condition or ebay it.

Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  Clio 197
got dodgy written all over it. I sell on gumtree but they come to my door with the cash. Never involve bank details as there is no regulation or real protection on scumtree. Who buys a high value item second hand without even seeing it or checking. If you sell them a duff macbook the got no real comeback without going to the small claims court, which would be a hassle. Sell it to someone local that's happy with its condition or ebay it.
When I sold mine, it was still covered in cellophane and the guy wanted to make sure there was actually a laptop in there. I was only too happy to oblige and make sure he was ok with it all, especially with the amount of money changing hands. Gumtree is easier as you don't have to deal with the headache of postage. These days you can never be too careful though

Dom_capper

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  2012 Renault Clio
I actually sold a MacBook a few weeks ago on gumtree within a couple of hours. Guy drove down, checked it out and dealt with cash. That was my ideal situation with this but it seems it's too close to Christmas.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Clio 197,with megan'
Do not accept payment into PayPal,as they pay in by Credit card, receive the goods, then claim via their Credit card company, then PayPal will claim back from you, so you have lost your goods, and have to pay PayPal as well, and this is how it was explained to me.

Rich..

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
5   0   0
  Golf
Tbh listing a MacBook on there you might as well of titled it 'please scam me'