ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does your 172 Cup have an RS Inlet from factory?

Gibbo205

ClioSport Club Member
  Ftype SVR & E46 M3
Hi there

So some believe the 172 Cup came from factory with lower RS inlets, yet my 52 plate car does not have one, its an original car, never modified and I am the second owner, so its 100% original.

Couple of pictures of my lower inlet:

thumbnail_IMG_6304.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6302.jpg

So I am guessing the earlier 172 Cups are a bit of a gamble, I've looked through various project threads and it seems that 52 plate cars, some have an RS inlet, some do not, but the 03 and newer cars all mostly seem to have RS inlets.

It would be good if owners and past owners of 172 cups could comment with the year of their car and if it has an RS inlet or not.

So my car:

172 cup: Original standard car, no mods
Year first registered: September 2002 (52 plate)
RS Inlet: NO

P.S. I have now ordered a lower RS inlet for my car from ebay. :)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
As per your other thread, these are more common on 182s, I’m not sure it matters if it comes with one or not tbh??

You still need to get the upper one matched to it anyway tbh and the RS one isn’t perfect either, I had to grind mine out on my track car so you’re better off just getting your current ones ported properly. I would expect near to 0 changes from changing your lower inlet for as RS one.

Gibbo205

ClioSport Club Member
  Ftype SVR & E46 M3
As per your other thread, these are more common on 182s, I’m not sure it matter if it comes with one or not tbh??

You still need to get the upper one matched to it anyway tbh and the RS one isn’t perfect either, I had to grind mine out on my track car so you’re better off just getting your current ones ported properly. I wouldn’t expect near to 0 changes from changing your lower inlet for as RS one.

When you say matched, is it just the openings they match up?

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Is that something a competent mechanic can do with hand tools. :)

I used a dremmel but I wouldn’t call myself competent lol. I matched mine to the gaskets I think actually did them ages ago. Just did it as I happened to have the stuff off anyway! Took a fair bit off, got the garage nice and messy with small shards of metal everywhere! Worst case if you mess it up they aren’t expensive to replace and being that you have a cup the lower inlet is easy to remove due to the lack of AC.

Gibbo205

ClioSport Club Member
  Ftype SVR & E46 M3
I used a dremmel but I wouldn’t call myself competent lol. I matched mine to the gaskets I think actually did them ages ago. Just did it as I happened to have the stuff off anyway! Took a fair bit off, got the garage nice and messy with small shards of metal everywhere! Worst case if you mess it up they aren’t expensive to replace and being that you have a cup the lower inlet is easy to remove due to the lack of AC.

OK cool, I shall give garage the lower RS inlet and ask them to match it to the head and upper. :)

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Only 182 came with RS lower inlet

Although my 53 plate 172 that’s completely standard had 1 on. Might have just been an upgrade/engine swap or something weird

Megane R26
2/3 Cups I had came with Rs lower inlets. I'm sure one was definitely original engine but can't be sure!

monaco 172
Only 182 came with RS lower inlet

Although my 53 plate 172 that’s completely standard had 1 on. Might have just been an upgrade/engine swap or something weird
My 03 172 has got an rs inlet and judging by how standard the car was when I got it i have no reason to believe somebody would have put an rs lower inlet on it and not even added an aftermarket exhaust or springs etc