ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does your Clio start first time?

ant

yep.
mine can be a b**ch to start when its warmed up, cold starts are usually ok unless the aircon is on for some reason?

ant

yep.
AND WHOSE IS THAT VIDEO?

you're meant to wait for the immobiliser light to go out before turning the key!! no wonder it wont start.

Mustang, S13, AX GT
Always 1st time, but my friends old clio didn't start. he read the instructions and it told him to wait for the light with the box and a zig-zag line through it (like a heart rate monitor) to go off then start it. I always do that on mine and it works a treat so far :)

Kneel said:
Always 1st time, but my friends old clio didn't start. he read the instructions and it told him to wait for the light with the box and a zig-zag line through it (like a heart rate monitor) to go off then start it. I always do that on mine and it works a treat so far :)

diesel by any chance

Clio Cup
There have been a few times when mine did not start but then came back to it a few hours later and it started.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Whe mine's warm it can occasionally start then fail on me, has happened a bit more recently because I assume the engine's staying warm for longer periods of time after I park her up.

Nothing I'm concerned about though, although I am pleased that my erratic idling has sorted itself out since the pinking sensor was replaced.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
dannyboy172 said:
99.9% of the time its first time for me. But now and again it dies. Gets a little rough sometimes if i haven't used it for 48hours or so. The g/f's 206 gti is the same.

Same

Citroen DS3 DSport
My car started 1st time this morning but unfortunately I'd left something at home so I had to immediately stop the engine again. On the 2nd start it would not fire up easily at all, had to keep the ignition cranked for a good 10 seconds until it coughed into life. I feared it wasn't going to start.

al

ST on the way...
It needs using more, a LOT more! ;)

Rich said:
... all of the time?

Apart from an inital blip not long after delivery where it turned over and did nothing mine used to.

But now form cold starts over night etc, it starts but then dies straight away sometimes, second time it is fine.

Normal or a problem? Any ideas, done a few searchs, imobilliser, so will watch the light next time I do a cold start? Seen some threads on Aircon on and cars not starting?

Cheers

Rich

Bora TDI - (ex172)
did have a similar problem with my old Corrado. It turned out to be a loose ignition barrel. You'd turn the key, it would start, rev and then die immediately.

Diagnosed it by driving along one day and wiggling the key in the ignition at the same time. The car cut out completely. The ignition barrel was loose and causing the immobilisor to kick in somehow.

Not sure its the same problem as yours, but just thought I'd add my 2 pence worth in case you think it could be something more sinister than a battery.

BMW M135i
First time everytime so far with the the 1.2 and 1.6, although the 1.6 does need a bit more cranking to get it to start than the old 1.2 did. Its only about half a sec but it makes all the difference, just put it down to the engine having more internal weight to get spinning.

Scirocco GT 210
In getting on for 2 years of ownership it's only ever failed to start first time twice, with it starting with no fuss second time on both occasions.

Starts first time, usually the instant I turn the key, but sometimes it does struggle a little - but starts.

al

ST on the way...
bmh.01 said:
First time everytime so far with the the 1.2 and 1.6, although the 1.6 does need a bit more cranking to get it to start than the old 1.2 did. Its only about half a sec but it makes all the difference, just put it down to the engine having more internal weight to get spinning.

Ditto (apart from the 1.2 bit) ^^

Especially difficult after a front wheel arch wash :S

Scirocco GT 210
Oh and I don't know if this has been mentioned already (haven't been bothered to read the entire thread), but putting your foot on the clutch as you start helps (when cold), because that way, the engine doesn't have to turn over the cold gearbox oil.

Cold mornings mine doesnt seem to like starting first time (05 plate,182)-starts, runs rough and the revs die and cuts out, second time always fine though. Renault hey-dont you just love them!!

Renaultsport Clio 182
For what it's worth, I have a 182 and sometimes in the morning when I insert the key and give it a full turn, it will fire but wont start. Second time round it's fine.

I seem to have to insert the key, start the electrics (half turn), and then go to ignite. This 2-step action seems to work. It's only recently started to happen. In the past I was able to turn the key in one action and it would fire up fine.

I put it down to turning the key too fast so the immobiliser is still on perhaps? But I thought the key fob disables the immobiliser? I don't know.

Steve2004 said:
but putting your foot on the clutch as you start helps (when cold), because that way, the engine doesn't have to turn over the cold gearbox oil.

Also means if you've accidentally left it in gear you don't end up jumping into the wall / car / whatever infront / behind you.:rasp:

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2
Steve2004 said:
Oh and I don't know if this has been mentioned already (haven't been bothered to read the entire thread), but putting your foot on the clutch as you start helps (when cold), because that way, the engine doesn't have to turn over the cold gearbox oil.
Since someone mentioned this on here a while back, I've had the habit of doing this ever since. Even in other cars. I think it also makes life easier on the clutch as well as the engine.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Jeffer said:
I seem to have to insert the key, start the electrics (half turn), and then go to ignite. This 2-step action seems to work. It's only recently started to happen. In the past I was able to turn the key in one action and it would fire up fine.

I was under the impression that you're meant to leave it half way to let the injectors kick in.

Clio 182
Mine had a bit of a phase of not always starting first time but it seems to have got better lately :S

RenaultSport clio 17
Kneel said:

have owned my 03 172 for a couple of months now and had no problems till today, where it started but sat at 2000 revs and the accelerator would'nt work, also the zig zag box you describe, eps and service lights came on??? started normal after turning it off and on again! is this a problem or intermittent fault? and it's certainly not a diesel:S

Renaultsport Clio 182
Jeffer said:
For what it's worth, I have a 182 and sometimes in the morning when I insert the key and give it a full turn, it will fire but wont start. Second time round it's fine.

I put it down to turning the key too fast so the immobiliser is still on perhaps? But I thought the key fob disables the immobiliser? I don't know.

Actually, I was wrong. This morning, I half-turned the key, and let all the warning lights go out before going to ignite. It went to tick over and immediately died even with the key still fully turnd. It's as if the immobiliser is still active and it was stopping the engine igniting.

It's not the case that it starts up and then dies, it just doesnt even start. But it always works properly second time round.

Come to think of it, this has only happened since I changed to my other key (my dealer told me I should swap keys every two months or else the key will stop working because of the security codes or something every time i blip the fob - apparantly you have to rotate the keys). I'll go back to my other key and see if this makes a difference.

How is the immobiliser disabled? Wirelessly via the fob or via the key in the ignition?