ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Does your Clio start first time?

106 GTi
... all of the time?

Apart from an inital blip not long after delivery where it turned over and did nothing mine used to.

But now form cold starts over night etc, it starts but then dies straight away sometimes, second time it is fine.

Normal or a problem? Any ideas, done a few searchs, imobilliser, so will watch the light next time I do a cold start? Seen some threads on Aircon on and cars not starting?

Cheers

Rich

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Have to say mine didn't start first time for a few weeks but i changed the battery in the key which seemed to fix it no problem...do you swop your keys alot or use the same one all the time?

Nez

White Megane R26 F1 230
Its happen a couple of times to me, but not often. I've just put it down to not keeping the key turned for long enough.

Could it be your battery?

106 GTi
Dubai182 said:
Have to say mine didn't start first time for a few weeks but i changed the battery in the key which seemed to fix it no problem...do you swop your keys alot or use the same one all the time?

Use the same key, will give that a try.

Will also do a battery test on the car battery aswell, though it turns over and runs for a mo and then dies.

M2 Competition
Mine does the same mate, 52 cup.

Will turn over and then not start first time, but second time its fine.

black/gold 182
mine is on a 04 plate and has started first time every time, and has no knocks or bangs when driving :race:

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
My 172 was never a good starter , sometimes took a second try to get it going , even if i had been on a run and just pulled up at a petrol station it would sometimes refuse first time .

The battery never seemed to hold a full charge for long , i tested it numerous times it was always pretty low .

Not had the same problem on my 182 so far ( touch wood ) but imo the batteries are slightly under powered , usually only 420 amps as standard .

Clio 197
Haha..Rich, you're joking right? :S

http://www.forumphoto.co.uk/gallery/video/182nonstart.wmv

Many reasons possible:

1) This time of year, it's pretty warm in during the daytime. Overnight, temperature cools. The breather in your fuel tank can be blocked (mine is). You may have a slight negative pressure in your fuel system after it all cools down. Trying to start the engine might require some persuasion from the fuel-pump.

OR

2) Temparature sensors aren't that accurate. Starting the car whilst it's halfway between hot and cold can mean the ECU gets it wrong (i think) - see my video above.

OR

3) It's french, enough said.

sorry.. I've run out of ideas now. :D

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Rich said:
Use the same key, will give that a try.

Will also do a battery test on the car battery aswell, though it turns over and runs for a mo and then dies.

Sounds like something other than the battery if it runs then dies imo .

Audi TT 3.2 V6
my 1.2 starts first time everytime, apart from the time i left the interior light on for 2days without using the car lol. was as dead as a dodo

Astra SRi T
yea starts first time, only prob with mine is that annoyiny staling sometimes wen u slow down and put ur foot down on the clutch!! arghhhhh

106 GTi
Oms said:
Haha..Rich, you're joking right? :S

Forgot about you video Oms, mine had been fine until the last week.

Revels106 said:
I think its choking with all the wax/polish thats seaping through into the engine! ;)

I was worried it may be that!

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
I've just checked out the video . The multimeter was showing 12.4v , exactly what my 172 used to show which according to the haynes manual is p*ss poor .

According to the haynes manual it says .

Good = 12.7volts
Normal = 12.6volts
Poor 12.5 volts

Clio 197
MRBILLYUK said:
I've just checked out the video . The multimeter was showing 12.4v , exactly what my 172 used to show which according to the haynes manual is p*ss poor .

According to the haynes manual it says .

Good = 12.7volts
Normal = 12.6volts
Poor 12.5 volts

I had (however) been trying to start it for the previous 10 minutes. That must have killed it!

Black Gold 182
last week i had a couple of occasions when it didnt turn over first time.

i thought it was strange as it was absolutely fine over winter. put it down to hot weather.

i only use mine a few times a week.

No more clio's for me!
99.9% of the time its first time for me. But now and again it dies. Gets a little rough sometimes if i haven't used it for 48hours or so. The g/f's 206 gti is the same.

My seems to have started doing this too - again, only recently.

It will turn over a couple of times, sound like it's going to start, so you let go of the key, then it dies. Try again and it's fine.

Either that or it turns over a few times, you think it's going to start so you let go of the key, it sounds like its about to die, but just manages to start.

I'll try using my other key too. See if it makes a difference.

Had my 06 plate 1.2 8v for three weeks and one morning it wouldnt fire without givin it some throttle , but it would start-idle-drive like it should when warm.

booked it in at befield's reno and they said it was faulty sensor on the throttle body so they replace the body and has started every time since

TOUCH WOOD

Mine takes a bit of starting sometimes when the engine is hot but when its cold in the morning it starts first time.

Clio 1.6 16v Dynamique +
First time every time for me too (so far) ~Touches wood~.

I 'always' make sure she has reached 'normal' running temp and give her a bit of a run (5-10 miles once warm) before bringing her home too.

Mine starts fine unless it been on track as it deosn't like restarting that much there sometimes a slight delay for it to fire up.

BMW 330D
i use my car eveyrday and every now and then it will start first then just cut out after a couple of secs. Other than that it runs as sweet as a nut.

172 FF
Mines a bit funny sometimes, some mornings it take 2 times to start mostly on damp days. also when warm it sometimes takes 2 goes. it went back to renault about 7 times they could never figure it out they had less idea than i did. so i think it might be french thing.

HBB

G81 M3 Touring & A35
Summer months first time runs then dies second time its fine. Is due a service tho.

RenaultSport Clio 172 Mk2
Always starts first time cold, but if I've got a lot of short stops to make on a journey (like shops, garage, etc) it can every now and again struggle to start when fully warm. Seems to turn over with nothing happening. Usually a quick ignition turn off/turn on and give some gas gets it going.

Is this a common occurance or is it an indicator of a future problem?

Last edited:
  HyperAlloy Combat Chassis
The last few weeks mine has taken a couple of goes to get started in the morning, never used to do this. Runs really really rough for about a minute after start, sounds terrible. Think I'll mention it next time it has to go in.

My 1.2 never gave me any problems, it even sat for a couple of months and still started first time.

Common problem I think Rich, been discussed on the Renaultsport forum many times including very recently. A few have taken them in under warranty and had no luck (unsurprisingly), I think someone had a temperature sensor changed too.

My 1.2 16V did it fairly often, but my Cup has only done it twice. Always started second time so have never worried about it too much.

106 GTi
Second time it is fine to here Chris. Odd one and common it seems. Was a few days after collection it turned over and did nothing (when warm).

Cheers for the responses.

Kully - been using it more of late so it cant be that ;)

Rich said:
Second time it is fine to here Chris. Odd one and common it seems. Was a few days after collection it turned over and did nothing (when warm).

Cheers for the responses.

Kully - been using it more of late so it cant be that ;)

you've confused it now ?
probably need a real good run ...................to clear