ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dog box pro's & con's?.

Clio 172
Right after a season of chasing everyone else in my class running fancy gearboxes and diff's I'm looking into getting a full dog gear kit and gripper diff fitted to my ph 1.

Has anyone got any experience running one of these gearboxes and what are the pro's & con's of running one?.
Any help greatly appreciated.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
Pro's: Clutchless gearshifts, more power to the wheels, better ratio's

Cons: expensive when they go wrong, harder to use, make the mistake of selcting 1st instead of 3rd when coming down the box and its going in weather you like it or not = byebye engine.

Buy a sequential :)

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
I had a Quaife Dog box the other year and it was very very strong and very reliable if used properly. It was the face dog type and not the involute which i think helps. I personaly found the involute type was an utter pig to use too. As for going into the wrong gear and blowing the engine..... it is possible but not quite that easy unless your heavy handed and the 'box is a s**tter to begin with.

My advise would be to buy a second hand unit for your first season using one. As strong as they are, it is very easy to damage one when not 100% used to how they work and heated moments won't help.

Sequentials are definatly the best bet if you can be arsed with the high maintainance and recon costs for those tiny seconds saved in each gearchange.

Clio 172
Thanks for replies guys. I'm running in A2 class so sequential is out as I need to keep the standard gear pattern, I'm looking at the gripper gear kit and have been quoted £3k al in for a fully built box with their kit and diff fitted so it's not too expensive.
If the gain in performance is not that much then I may just get the box rebuilt with standard gears and gripper diff.

I need to do something though as I'm about 5 secs slower than the class leader on every round, traction being the main problem, my driving being the rest!!.

Disco 3 &4 1993 mini
i reckon your should get the gripper diff or lsd first then see if you need the dog after

alien green rs133
dog box owes ali 3 engines :p
if it were me i would a jc5/jc1 hybrid, the 1.4 16v box has a lovely set of ratio's and the jc5 has stronger bearings, if you use a dci jc5, 128? the diff ratio is lovely.

Clio 172
Resurrecting this thread as new season is fast approaching, Gripper definitely do a gearkit Fred.

I like the idea of using hybrid gears from other boxes to get better ratio's but can anyone tell me what other boxes fit the 172 such as the JC5 128 found in the dci and does anyone know where to find out the standard ratios for clio boxes.

Hello Gordon, yes we do offer a rebuild service @ £200.00
+ new parts required.
We do a dog engagement gear kit @ £1500.00
We offer 3 final drive ratios 14/60 13/59 and 12/63, we would
need to know what final drive you are using now and what
top speed you want.
Driveshafts should be ok.
Price for Lsd is £750.00 and final drive is £450.00
post and packing £30.00
--
Best regards Tom Seal

Lotus Elise
A gearbox and diff isn't going to find you 5 secs mate. Spend your £££ on tuition.

You will be surprised tbh. If you a losing 0.3 of a second on each gear change than it soon adds up.

Clio 172
A gearbox and diff isn't going to find you 5 secs mate. Spend your £££ on tuition.

It will if its Hillclimbs and sprints your doing!. All the diff'd cars in my class are on average 3-5 secs faster than me on the tighter circuits/hills. Speaking to other competitors that have switched to an LSD it say it make's a huge difference. The idea behind possibly fitting a box with closer/lower ratios is to increase the acceleration and improve the take off. In the old crossflow fiesta's we used to fit a 950cc box with an RS turbo diff and with a competition spec crossflow they used to out accelerate the 3dr cossie's of the time, Mind you they topped out early on MPH front.

Trackdays i couldn't care less about a few seconds as its just for fun anyway!.

Stripped yozza'd cup
You will be surprised tbh. If you a losing 0.3 of a second on each gear change than it soon adds up.

Is everyone else on the grid running a dogbox then?

I can certainly see the diff making a substantial difference, but I'm not sure I'd be spending my money the dog box too.

As somebody else mentioned earlier, LSD and hybrid box would be my choice.

gez 172

ClioSport Club Member
  Defender 110
can someone give me more info on the dci jc5 gearbox please? Interested in this.

172 Cup/123d/405Mi16
Dave Mac Propshafts.
Was in there yesterday collecting gearboxes and we had a chat about these straight cut gear kits.
It was a project from a few years ago that got put on the back burner, but they've finished the drawings they needed to refine the kit for production and I'm hoping they'll sell me one later this year. Should be good for between 3 and 5 bhp at the wheels + usual benefits for competition use.