ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dog Kennel reborn (HMS Derv Destroyer is a legend)

DaveDreads

aka Philomena Cunk aka Barry Shitpeas
ClioSport Club Member
It's not as bad as it used to be, all the carpet in the back got binned a few years ago and metal is alot easier to clean, plus this dog doesn't shed hair as much as the last.

Clio
Dog hair is the worst man . It's ruined 2 dynamique interiors and 2 182 interiors in my Clio over the last 14 years

Dr HMS Derv Destroyer

ClioSport Club Member
  MK1DTi/vivaro/corsa
It's not that bad to get out, few special tools and a bloody powerful Hoover makes light work. Considering dreads has his dog in there nearly every day, it's nowhere near as bad as some of the dog wagons I've had to Valet

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
Yes you seen that right , it's not filthy anymore
giphy.gif

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Then he put a full Hazmat suit on to drive it onto the rollers. lol
It was f*cking bad though, Zorlac shed hair like no dog i've even known, if you opened the window at speed it would swirl round the cabin like a hair tornado.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
It ran good before, then a day of CSF track action killed off the gearbox, then in the following months parts started to slowly die, like the water pump, Ryan also said the clutch release bearing was a few miles away from going ping.

It will be staying clean this time though, Ryan will kill me if I let it get shitted up again.

Filters

Wales - South
ClioSport Area Rep
It ran good before, then a day of CSF track action killed off the gearbox, then in the following months parts started to slowly die, like the water pump, Ryan also said the clutch release bearing was a few miles away from going ping.

It will be staying clean this time though, Ryan will kill me if I let it get shitted up again.

I remember well mate. It sounded pretty rough on the Sunday so can only imagine how bad it eventually got. Although saying that, mines sounding just as bad as it did too.

What's the plans for it now then?

Probably best if you keep it clean, less work for Guy to do infuture 😂

davo172

ClioSport Club Member
  TCR'd 172
I also have a photo of what it used to be like from a rolling road met some years ago where the man putting the cars on the rollers refused to get onto Dave’s because he had asthma 😂

Flol remember that well it was quality ! His face when to opened the door to get in and big cloud of dog hair wafted out ! thought he was goin to have a blackout Lol

Clio
Lovely car ! Used exactly like . The dog and the kid treat it like s**t.
I spend my spare time on euro car parts on e bay fixing it

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Few more little problems sorted today at Ryan's garage, engine light came on the other day when he took it out for another shakedown, Ryan plugged his diagnostics in and it said brake pedal switch, air con compressor something or other (which is odd because the air con went in the bin years ago), and intermittent reading on Lambda 1, we were worried it needed a new Lambda, but it turned out to be a dodgy earth in the engine bay, quick scrub with a wire brush and bolted back on nice and tight, no more engine light, no more fault codes, also it now spits and gurgles on the over run which sounds f*cking incredible! (not sure how long the cat will last though) lol

I can't wait to get this thing back on the street, it's so much faster than before.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Got it back yesterday with a fresh mot and re-taxed it after it's been sorn'd all winter, so good to back in my fast little toy, Ryan followed me home in his 200bhp Astra Diesel but he had no chance of keeping up when I opened it up a bit, neither did some fam in his Golf GTD when the lights turned green on the DC, naughty I know but I couldn't help it.

There is an intermittent engine light that comes and goes, but it passed emissions no problem so we don't think it's a Lambda, it's more likely to be a dodgy earth as a few of them are a little corroded despite cleaning them up, but it was running on fumes and 7 quids worth of fuel from a jerry can didn't even turn the fuel light off or move the needle, so another 10 quids worth was put in and after a few minutes idling the engine light went away and didn't come back on the drive home, so maybe it was struggling a little with no fuel.

I think i'm going to carry on using the Passat to take the dog out until the weather improves, don't really want it getting caked in filth again, I will update this thread with some proper photos this week, just need to find a good location and i'll get the DSLR out and do it properly.

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
First proper drive out today, after using the near silent Mazda and Passat all winter i'd forgotten how much the Clio feels and sounds like an angry old shed loosely held together with hopes, dreams, zip ties and gaffa tape (the last two are actually true), but i'd also forgotten how totally raw it is and how connected to the road you feel, for a 15 year old cheap French hatchback, it still feels like an event every time you stamp on the throttle.

So here it is, the Dog Kennel reborn!

172 010a BW.jpg

172 001a.jpg

172 004a.jpg

172 008a.jpg

172 018.jpg

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers lads i'm really happy with it, I think the biggest improvement (other than it works now) is the headlight restoration Ryan did, it's amazing how just having clear headlights can transform how an old car looks.

I think i'm going to start looking after it a bit better now it's had so much work done to it, for years it's just been a fast old tatty Clio covered in dirt on the outside and mud and dog hair on the inside, but it's become apparent that with a little effort and a bit of body work and paint restoration the old bucket could actually hold it's own in a CSF line up, obviously it's never going to be perfect because when it comes down to it i'd rather spend money on maintenance and performance upgrades, but with it being almost 16 years old it needs a bit more looking after if I want to last.

Hopefully if I land a new job this week it won't be long before I can carry on with upgrading and modifying my little toy, plans in the pipeline are PMS top mounts and strut brace, Whiteline ARB, Cooksport springs as it's been running Eibach Prolines for 10 years so I think it's time for a change, plus it could do with being a little lower.

At the moment it has a Powerflex exhaust hanger which is pretty much solid and sends massive amounts of vibration through the boot and the resonating trim could send even the deaf insane, on the one hand it makes it sound like an old Touring car which on track sounds awesome, but when you just want to go down the shops it's get old very quickly, so I might source a genuine Renault hanger but even the oem ones wear out almost instantly, so I might just makes my own.

There's also a handful of other jobs and repairs that need doing, but that's true of most old cars, so no doubt they'll all get done in due course.

Long term plans are to retire it to weekend blasts and track days with fixed buckets, a better steering wheel and a full cage, but that will have to wait until i've got another daily, hopefully a WRX SL Wagon with PPP, but seeing as they're £4k and rising it might take a while to save that up, so for the foreseeable future it's back to being a daily, although the Passat is on dog duties until the weather improves and Erik stops being caked in mud every time he goes near a field.

Barring irreparable chassis damage, the dog kennel will be with me for as long as i'm able to drive, because if you truly love a car like a member of the family, why get rid of it.

Last edited:

DaveDreads

ClioSport Club Member
Did any one spot the Rover 90?
Mate there are so many crazy cars that come and go in that yard it's mental, i've seen old V8 Jags, old BL trucks, various classics, there's currently a Capri 2.8i rolling shell, a Land Rover Lightweight, an MX5 drift car, a couple of off road prep'd Suzuki Vitara's with lift kits and winches, then there's all the mad f*ckers that show up to get their projects worked on, when I picked the Clio up on Saturday there was a young lad in there with his Austin Metro having some welding done, then some mad bugger showed up with a lifted matte black Defender that looked like Mad Max's work truck, then there's the constant stream of crazy arse biker club/gang members getting their cars and bikes sorted.

Then there's Ryan's fleet which consists of his MG ZR track slag, the Valver shell we put a 172 widetrack on which may or may not get finished, his Frankenderv 1*2 with a turbo'd diesel engine, his brothers Valver.....have I missed anything out?

Last edited: