ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Domes Clio resurrection

Well, Home safe with my new toy.

So, about this latest purchase.

I'd viewed this on Monday but it was tonight before I could get it picked up. For the first time in a while I was excited about getting a car! (I was terrified bringing my Locost home in sub zero temperatures in February but that's another story)

The folk I've bought it from have had it for 12 years and it has a full service history. it was his wifes car but he used to enjoy it when he could ;)

It's standard apart from a stainless exhaust fitted because the guy couldn't get a hold of a standard 182 exhaust for sensible money.

It is due a service now and also the dreaded timing belt and dephaser pulley.

Paperwork was filled in, a set of jump leads were applied and the petrol station (200m from his house) was visited. I left it running as the battery was flat. I had the Locosts battery with me but thought I'd see how I got on with the one in it.

Bonus squashed beetle shot, my girlfriends lovely (cough) TT transported us there

IMG-20161028-WA0003.jpg

I got some bald bloke to fill it up for me, I'm far more attractive than that ;)

So, off straight onto the A1 in a car that hadn't moved since June, with a shonky battery, possible starting issue and unknown electrical maladies. Oh and no MOT (but it is booked in for one)

I took it easy for the first 20 miles or so. Every application of the brakes had clouds of dust appearing in the headlights of my girlfriends car behind me. The initial throttle response was a bit lumpy, I couldn't get the cruise control to work and the thermostat is goosed as it's not heating up.

To reinforce the Frenchness of it every now and again every warning light on the dash would come on. Luckily the engine kept running fine, especially as it did it on the approach to the Forth Road Bridge. On the plus side, I'm pretty sure I won Connect4 at one point.

Back home safe, switched it off after an hours driving and the starter just clicked. Stuck the Locost battery on and it fired up first time. Have put the Clios battery on a battery conditioner but I suspect it's gubbed. The owner was told by a garage it needed a starter. I suspect battery and possible ropey earths, we shall see

Other issues

Random starting issue-possibly battery

Thermostat shot

Front LHS shock goosed.

Rust bubbles on rear arches

The brakes seem to work, will strip them down and clean them up before the MOT though.

Rear exhaust hangers are shot-I have Powerflex ones for a Chevette courtesy of this forum which I'll fit.

MOT booked for Tuesday, then once it's got one it's getting the belts done. I am aware how much of an arse of a job this is, I've arranged to get my hands on the proper tools.

Then? Drive it. I love a good hot hatch and these are supposed to be one of the best.

Here's the pics from the ad. They do flatter it a bit, I think. I've yet to see it in daylight....

$_86 (1).JPG
$_86 (2).JPG
$_86 (3).JPG
$_86 (4).JPG
$_86 (5).JPG
$_86 (6).JPG

Attachments

• $_86.JPG
    $_86.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 66
This one has spent the last 12 years not far from the sea so I suppose rust was inevitable.

It's on 120k and the price reflected the work it needs. It's a non abused car with masses of history so worth the investment IMO.

Spent Saturday getting this thing MOT ready.

Brakes were the first thing to check as they felt s**t on the way home.

All the pads were getting low, although I didn't realise how little meat the rears had on them from new.

Front discs were within tolerance, just. A 30% discount weekend at Eurocarparts and everything being in stock at my local branch sealed the deal-front discs and pads and rear pads.

One front slider was seized and 2 on one of the rears also A bit of brute force and gentle persuasion and everything was working again. Sadly I couldn't really drive it to test them as no MOT but it feels a lot better moving it up and down the driveway.

I even gave them a quick wire brush and slapped some black paint on them to freshen them up a bit.

I then moved onto the thermostat, dead easy to get to once you remove the airbox, the old one was stuck open so that should be a no brainer, Again, it'll be when I take it a proper drive that I see if it's fixed or not. The alloy under the bonnet isn't too clever, I'll try and tart it up a bit at some point.

I had a look at the earths on this-one wire which goes down to the chassis from the battery which is pretty corroded and any attempts to undo it were flexing the body round it. A visit to a scrappy had a much better condition one and the thin wire that disappears into the loom was wired direct to the positive terminal to help volts go where they should.

So, in for it's MOT today and... Pass.

Happy with that considering it's been off the road for 6 months. Means I can start the real work. Thermostat is working fine and the brakes are a lot better, they'll need a bleed though.

Genuine timing belt kit with dephaser and water pump is ordered and tools should be sorted too. Also will hopefully have a new pair of front struts for it too.

Getting there...

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
I'm going to be brutal here, with your description of it and the fact it's a boggo spec one if you paid 4 figures for it then you're doing it wrong!

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Looks pretty tidy for the mileage, and should be good once you've tidied it up!

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Fair enough, if it's not about the money and you're happy to spend 150% of it's value making it your own then it's the car for you obviously :)

I'd have gone down the route of the right car with money in my pocket personally.

That's why it's in the projects thread, there wouldn't be much point in doing a thread if I bought a good one straight off would there? ;)

"Today I put a sticker on it and adjusted the angle of my aerial" 😂

There's loads of info on here so I'm sure it'll make the journey easier. And someone will benefit from my folly when I sell it on with all the important bits done no doubt

RenaultSport Clio 182
Good going so far - I've spent way more on mine than it's worth but I now know loads about the car and have more confidence in the bits that have been done (that is - nearly all of it!). I reckon I'll never sell it.

Everything you could possibly need is on this forum - if it's not in the guide someone has given me the answer and I'd have quit ages ago if it wasn't for that.

R29TJR

ClioSport Club Member
  2005 RB 182 Cup
Looks like a good project and I agree with he OP, most of the comments on here have been very unhelpful or critical.

I'll spend more than I paid for my car over the next year no doubt, I think people miss the point its not always about money, some people, including myself, enjoy the work that comes with an older car.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Cheers for the positive waves guys. Its fine, I've been around enough forums over the years to know what they can be like.

Did 80 miles in the car tonight which is its first proper run in my stewardship. Picking up timing tools tomorrow and hopefully some dampers, the shot front damper let's it down.

Will need to give the fossilised brake bleed nipples another dose of Plusgas in preparation for bleeding them, that's the two most noticeable issues with the car just now.

Parts collection mission tonight-met a boy local to me who races Clios in Superlap Scotland and got a few bits off him-standard front struts and springs and a pair of rear dampers too. Also my timing belt tools have arrived, waiting on the kit to arrive and then I can finish some jobs on the Locost and banish it from the garage for a bit while I tuck the Clio up in there to fit all the shiny bits.