ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Donington Park Race Report

182cup & 172 racecar
Too right mate. In these events safety is paramount. It could have been much worse. Thankfully no one got injured. Plus it's not much fun if you're having to fork out unexpected funds due to avoidable accidents.

Andy did say that's his year over now,blown engine and a smack up the arse,too much dollar to carry on this year,which is sad to hear.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
You talking about the Clio or the 106? The 106 clearly rode too much kerb, poor driving. However, i would rarely lift for a yellow flag and i doubt many would. Waved yellows, fair enough...

thank you for higlighting the fact that i am a total NEWB, lol,
learn something new everyday,

182cup & 172 racecar
I have sent email voicing my displeasure of the incident to the powers that be.

Await a reply(or maybe not)lol.

172 Race Car
he can change his mind but if he has no money its not going to change anything. the guy had a tiny budget as it was

Saab 93 Aero Wagon
he can change his mind but if he has no money its not going to change anything. the guy had a tiny budget as it was

Man that sucks. Poor bloke. Especially if, as i'd imagine is the case is with everyone in that paddock, you just can't wait for the next race to come along, to then find yourself in the position where you have a FUBAR'd car and no immediate means to get it back on track must be such a kick in the knackers.

Having looked at both videos from both cars a few times its fairly clear that Andy, the Clio driver, was rather lucky (despite the circumstances) that he was out of the car and behind the barrier when the 106 clattered into the car.....if he had been just getting out or walking around the back as his in car footage shows....well it doesn't bear thinking about!

172 Race Car
Andy was in the pitlane at the time of the accident talking to me. It was his mate driving. First we knew of it was when it came back on a truck. I thought the same thing. imagine if he was just getting out of the car.

Scary s**t

Golf GTD Mk7
Andy was in the pitlane at the time of the accident talking to me. It was his mate driving. First we knew of it was when it came back on a truck. I thought the same thing. imagine if he was just getting out of the car.

Scary s**t

Very scary. I was surprised the guy who crashed didn't look before getting out. It's blindish there too. The guy definitely needs reminding what waved yellows mean. Next time he might not be so lucky.

182cup & 172 racecar
Andy's engine from Donington:( And other damage.

get-attachment.aspx

get-attachment.aspx

get-attachment.aspx

get-attachment.aspx

Oil Burner
They are images emailed to you i think? You have linked them straight from your email account. None of us have access to that. You need to host them somewhere else.

182cup & 172 racecar
I have fame.On YouTube the guy who didn't lift off is now calling me names in his comments,shame he's blocked any comments from outsiders.LOL

Evo 5 RS
lol hmm good sport of him to stop comments. Just rid too much curb there...s**t happens I guess. At the least I would hope he feels a bit of a tit seeing as he's knocked someone out for the entire season now

Golf GTD Mk7
"To provide some further detail, l saw the flags from Hollywood, and eased off upon selecting 4th, and at point of turn in was back on the power to balance the car, clip the kerb as I had been doing all day but got onto some oil left from the car I hit. You can see from his video that several other cars slid on the oil. The car had brand new front tyres on it, and worn rears as anyone who knows anything about set up for FWD knows you need to unstick the rear. Biggest disappointment is that the Clio driver thought it was safe to stop there 50 m from the fastest point of the circuit, and also no oil flags. At first I was not sure what had caused the car to spin, but someone in the paddock afterwards told me that it was oil from the Clio. Unfortunately Tony Hunter of the Clio forum appears to be an utter ****, as it is clear he has no idea what he is talking about but is keen to bad mouth me without checking the facts"

FML what a bell. It didn't sound like he did to me. WTF is he going on about having bald tyres to make the car work better :S I've just watched a few of the other vids and he loves to get that tail out. Don't care much for driving style.

Last edited:
The only thing I agree with Billy on is the parking of the clio, no-one with half a brain would park a car there unless they were out of control in the lead up to ending up there. There's a vast, vast area of grass on the right hand side to park your car on - and you'll be off-line sooner. I'm not sure any of us would have done any different under the yellows really. As Rob said, isn't worth lifting especially as the car could be unsettled, just don't do anything you don't normally do and keep things smooth.

182cup & 172 racecar
Alex,have you watched the vid? get to 20-21 secs and you can clearly see the waved yellow,I saw it when I went past.
You trying to tell me there is no time to slow down without unsettling the car from there to Craners,come on,you should know better.
Andys engine blew big time and thats where it came to rest,end of.
He didn't just pull over and park it there.

Andys engine blew big time and thats where it came to rest,end of.
He didn't just pull over and park it there.

I didn't know he was out of control of the vehicle, that's the only thing I didn't know. Plenty of time to see the yellow flag, probably should have been backed off a bit but that could have happened to anyone hitting oil there, was just bad luck really.

182cup & 172 racecar
Marshal's went to clear up the "oil" and there was nothing there.

But anyway,I'll leave it at that.

172 Race Car
The only thing I agree with Billy on is the parking of the clio, no-one with half a brain would park a car there unless they were out of control in the lead up to ending up there. There's a vast, vast area of grass on the right hand side to park your car on - and you'll be off-line sooner.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not taking sides, because I don't know either party, but for that much smoke to come out the back of a car and it to spin out on it's own oil/coolant - it's very unlikely for it all to disappear by the time the Peugeot comes round. Why didn't anyone else spin out (apart from the tankslapper guy at 25s)? They were probably taking better lines through the corner away from the kerb - I wouldn't want to be hitting that kerb at three figure speeds, I know that for sure. Racing incident - combination of fluids on circuit and poor observation of yellow flags. The flag posts are so far away from the circuit at Donington, so it's very difficult to display an "oil flag" - you'd typically wait for someone to spin out in an unlikely place, or find a gap to get onto the track for a brief inspection, you can't just hang one out because there might be oil down, there might not be and you quickly devalue the flag.

182cup & 172 racecar
If the guy in the Pug hadn't put his vid up,then we would non the wiser.As it is we all know what a waved yellow means.

Golf GTD Mk7
I'm not taking sides, because I don't know either party, but for that much smoke to come out the back of a car and it to spin out on it's own oil/coolant - it's very unlikely for it all to disappear by the time the Peugeot comes round. Why didn't anyone else spin out (apart from the tankslapper guy at 25s)? They were probably taking better lines through the corner away from the kerb - I wouldn't want to be hitting that kerb at three figure speeds, I know that for sure. Racing incident - combination of fluids on circuit and poor observation of yellow flags. The flag posts are so far away from the circuit at Donington, so it's very difficult to display an "oil flag" - you'd typically wait for someone to spin out in an unlikely place, or find a gap to get onto the track for a brief inspection, you can't just hang one out because there might be oil down, there might not be and you quickly devalue the flag.

He didn't take that much kerb mate, plus he shouldn't have spun just for that reason. Regardless he should have slowed.