ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Donington Park Race Report

172 Race Car
RACE REPORT:

Saturday 28th May 2011 - Donington Park

Our 2nd race of the season was at Donington Park. To try and sort out our handling woes, we managed to get a few hours on the trackday the day before. We arrived around 11am and set up our new 'Circus Tent'

shapeimage_4.png

It took quite a while as it was the first time we had used it but it was well worth it.

I had never driven around this circuit and only been as a spectator once. Tony had prior experience of the track so I went out first to get a feel for the layout and warm the car up. I did around 6 laps and could feel that the car still wanted to oversteer when pushing on a bit. Back to the paddock and we made a change to the rear geometry

327.jpg
328.jpg

I jumped back in and went back out to see if it had made a difference, it hadn't. Back in and another change, this time a big one, the car was so far off where we wanted it to be we decided to change the rear springs for some softer ones.

I went out again to compare it to previous runs. The car felt so much better and I could be much more aggressive on turn in as the rear was much less likely to slide. It wasn't perfect but a vast improvement. I was enjoying the car and learning the circuit even more. As I came down the craner curves I tried to keep flat, just as a Honda in front started to brake. I had to lift and the car had a big slide. I caught it but was getting close to the Honda so I just let it go. I spun around twice, eventually ending up facing the right way and had a close encounter with the gravel trap. I limped back to the pits with the tyres flat spotted and told Tony the good and bad news

shapeimage_5.png

The car was fine, apart from the flat spots so Tony hopped in to see how it felt. He did about 6 laps and came back in. He agreed that the car felt ok but could still improve. A quick call to Curtis at AST and we made some more adjustments and Tony went back out.

The day was almost over so he was back in after 4 laps saying the the car was better again so we had gone the right way on setup. With only 15 minutes left on the day we had no time for more changes. We needed to get some tyres scrubbed in so we swapped wheels. We were almost ready to go, when we found that the drivers side front wheel would not torque up properly. Then a stud snapped.

We had 3 spare standard wheel bolts with us but could not get the broken stud out of the hub with the tools we had with us. Whiteley came to the rescue with some mole grips and another spare bolt. Life saver.

335.jpg
333.jpg

With that panic over we had some time to prep the car. We changed the brake fluid, refaced the pads and checked a few things over. Everything was ok and we left it up on stands overnight. It was starting to get dark when we had finished dinner so went for a walk up to the chicane. We ended up walking half the circuit before it go too dark to see and we took a short cut through the middle.

The next morning we woke to find it had rained a little through the night. We got the bacon cooking and finished off the prep of the car. We made another small change to the setup and hoped for the best. Tony gave it a wash and buff up while one of our competitors came over to sabotage the car by contaminating the fuel

356.jpg

I took the first stint in qualifying and the track was damp with a dry line starting to appear.

As we didn't get a chance to scrub the new tyres in last night, it made the first few laps very interesting. I had a big slide into Red-gate as I went off line to pass another car. I really struggled to get a clear lap in the session and Tony left me out for as long as possible. I let loads of cars through on the back straight to try and get a gap. I had one lap left before handing over to Tony and nothing in front of me. I made a mistake into Mcleans and ran wide, lap ruined. My in lap was much better and wished the track had been drier. Tony jumped in and had 12 minutes left. He had traffic on his laps but kept improving his times as the line dried more and more. We moved over to the timing screens with about 3 minutes left. Tony was in 14th place. Next lap a 1 second improvement to 13th place

182.jpg

The chequered flag was flying to signal the end of qualifying, he was on his last lap. We saw him exit the chicace and onto the main straight. He passed the line and popped up into 10th place with a lap 1.2 seconds quicker than his previous best. We were very pleased with that. We failed to miss the car that crossed the line a minute later to displace us to 11th place. Out of 32 runners, we were still pleased. Especially that the one clear lap either of us had, I ruined by visiting the scenery

194.jpg

We finished our pre race prep on the car and found some damage. Tony said he heard a bang on the back straight. The windscreen had some very big stone chips and the door mirror took a hit. Some gravel had been flicked up from the car in front. Id of been very upset if id spent a load of money having them powder coated ;)

shapeimage_6.png

The race started at 16:15 and I was doing the first stint. It was a rolling start, the first one I had done. I was on the inside for turn 1 and it was all clean around me. I was taking it steady as the warm up lap had been quite slow and I wasn't sure if the tyres were up to temperature but already, I felt quite comfortable

632.jpg

By lap 3 i'd managed to pull a bit of a gap to Andy in the Clio behind me so started to push on. I could see the #87 Integra ahead and a few more cars bunched up. I then managed to do 3 laps in the 1:24sec bracket, 2 seconds quicker than we had gone in quali and was catching the cars ahead. I could see Russell in the MG and the #87 Integra starting to fight and that spurred me on. I set my fastest lap on lap 7, 1min 23.8 seconds. 2.5 seconds quicker than in qualifying. I was using loads of kerb at the old hairpin and a bit of grass. The car was flying, the best it had felt for a long time

647.jpg

On the next lap I could see some fluid coming from Russells MG and as he turned in for a fast right, it swapped ends on him. The Integra slowed right down and pulled to the left as he span. I was 8 or so car lengths back (not quite in shot) so could see what was happening. Russ pulled onto the grass and id caught the Integra by the bottom of the hill. We were both slow for the next few corners as we had no idea what fluid we had just driven through (turned out to be coolant) and the car felt fine. I had a nice battle with the Integra for the next few laps, eventually making it stick on lap 9 up at Mcleans (the Matt Neal line) But we went side by side down the pit straight later that lap as I went too deep into the chicane. I stayed ahead

680.jpg
688.jpg

689.jpg
692.jpg

We pitted on lap 14. As I slowed for the speed limit and changed into 2nd, the gear knob came off in my hand. I dropped it into the footwell, that made me panic a bit and I was worried i'd not find it while we were doing the driver change and the problems that might cause if it found its way under the pedals. Luckily I was easy to spot.

Despite this, the stop was our 2nd quickest ever, stationary for 22 seconds, We had to hold Tony for at least a second while another car went by.

As he exited the pits he could see a group of 4 cars just behind and managed to keep ahead. They were all cars we had lapped so it worked out brilliantly. Another 2 seconds on the pit stop and he would have had to pass all of them.

He settled into it and had rejoined the race in 9th place, with a few cars ahead yet to stop. Once the pitstop phase was over he was in a comfortable 6th place. Tony was keeping the gap to the car in 5th at around 6-7 seconds and he had about 9 seconds to the car behind.

749.jpg

5 laps into his stint the safety car was deployed for an incident at the far side of the circuit. we hoped that would help close the gap to the car in front but after a few laps behind the safety car the chequered was shown with 8 minutes left on the clock. It was an incident involving several cars and they knew it wouldn't get cleaned up before the end of 40 minutes so ended the race there. Luckily everyone involved was ok to our knowledge

A very good day. The track time we had the day before had proved productive again.

Its a long time till our next race. Anglesey in August. Thats a very different circuit that tends to make cars understeer. In the mean time we have a few jobs to do and a trackday in July for a bit of fun and some passenger rides

Last edited by a moderator:
It was a real shame Tony didn't have a proper chance to nail it, but having witnessed both accidents at that corner, it would have taken a while to clean up.

Good to hear the car was epic (for once ;)). Looking forward to Anglesey, considering the success you had their last time :)

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
That could have been this? A friend of a friend...

Yeh it was that. The silver clio was absolutely shagged. The 106 didn't look TOO bad.

We would have had proper pictures of the crash but a certain mr freeman suggested we walked up the banking to a different location.

Last edited by a moderator:
  182cup & 172 racecar
I didn't hear him lift and it was clearly under yellow flags,blokes a tosser and I don't care if he see's this.

Golf GTD Mk7
I didn't hear him lift and it was clearly under yellow flags,blokes a tosser and I don't care if he see's this.

This to be honest. The flags aren't there just to look colourful :mad: Not sure what he did though, looked a bit strange. He didn't look like he too too much grass.

Great report lads :approve: I love watching racing at donnington. It sucks that WSR isn't there anymore as Craner always makes for good incidents and racing. Definately doing Donny this year.

172 Race Car
hmmm, wierd then. Presumably both drivers are looking for new shells?
Didn't see the other car but the clio just needs a beam and a light. Most of that will straighten out. Takes a lot to bin a shell in club racing due to the time/cost involved in reshelling

Golf GTD Mk7
Didn't see the other car but the clio just needs a beam and a light. Most of that will straighten out. Takes a lot to bin a shell in club racing due to the time/cost involved in reshelling

Not too bad then. Quite surprising considering the speed. I'll be amazed if the roof didn't crease. At least everyone was ok.

Turbos.
Did he not hit something on track?...ie fluids or something? Did the clio dump fluids prior to pulling off?

You talking about the Clio or the 106? The 106 clearly rode too much kerb, poor driving. However, i would rarely lift for a yellow flag and i doubt many would. Waved yellows, fair enough...

CIW

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Track Car
You talking about the Clio or the 106? The 106 clearly rode too much kerb, poor driving. However, i would rarely lift for a yellow flag and i doubt many would. Waved yellows, fair enough...

I made the mistake of lifting when I saw a yellow (and an SC board though it hadn't yet been turned to be properly visible - I must too damn observant...) in a race at Brands last year. Immediately got overtaken into Paddock (what if there'd been a spun car stationary at the bottom?) by the guy behind who hadn't spotted the flag. I got him straight back after the restart and stewards did nothing.

Turbos.
It depends on the scenario, but its just that if you're in real tussle you are not going to give up X amount of seconds gained over the course of a race just to lose it by lifting off thanks to some clown shoe stuffing it. If you're not competing for a position, then i suppose you would be more inclined to lift.

182cup & 172 racecar
But Rob,in the vid you can see the flags were being waved and the car in front of him was quite a way ahead,we are not after big prizes in this series no matter how much a racer you are.
Too much curb and rear bald tyres so Iv'e heard.

Turbos.
Fair enough if they were being waved...no excuse. The crash was ultimately down to bad driving; you can see he is turning whilst on the (raised) kerb. Any fraction of a lift in a FWD like that and the Craners will result in a crash. Bad luck for the Clio anyway... had it spun or did it have mechanical issues?

CIW

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 Track Car
It depends on the scenario, but its just that if you're in real tussle you are not going to give up X amount of seconds gained over the course of a race just to lose it by lifting off thanks to some clown shoe stuffing it. If you're not competing for a position, then i suppose you would be more inclined to lift.

As you say, depends on the scenario (heading into Paddock with a waved yellow I'll opt for a lift!) but I can guarantee the clerk of the course will call you a lot worse than a clownshoe if you get it wrong :clown: :mad:

They've had a big crackdown on yellows observance in our championship after the first race of the season was decided by an ignored flag for a spinner.

Turbos.
How about this though, i was called to the stewards and given a bollarking for passing under yellows. The car in question had spun in front of me. What i was i meant to do, stop dead and wait for him to carry on? lol...

182cup & 172 racecar
At 21 seconds,you can clearly see the yellow flag is being waved.

We are going to get onto the club about this and several other issues that have cropped up.

Golf GTD Mk7
Too right mate. In these events safety is paramount. It could have been much worse. Thankfully no one got injured. Plus it's not much fun if you're having to fork out unexpected funds due to avoidable accidents.

Clio 172
You left 2 reports on the desktop of that laptop - sorry I took a read, they were a a great read as well!

Shame about that numpty, but you guys are looking great, I'll have to trawl through the archives and get the whole story seeing I've only just joined in!