ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DONT BUY NON HUBCENTRIC SPACERS, I'M SAVING YOUR LIFE...

SQ5
...Possibly

I have just had my wheel fly past me at 60mph on a dual carriageway due to universal spacers. They weren't hub-centric so all weight was on the four bolts holding the wheel to the hub not on the hub.

I didn't think this made too much difference but after today seeing my wheel fly past me I checked what had happened. 3 of the bolt holes on the hub/disc had been legthened causing the bolts to basically just slip out.

If I'd of had hubcentric spacers it would of been fixed to a hub. I'm lucky the car didn't roll, and the car still drives fine. I'm getting it checked out later in the week but only damage so far is :-

Bumper scraped
Wing cracked
Side skirt cracked
Brake disc knackered
Spacer in a field some where - need hubcentrics

Was quite scary, but funny too as could see nothing bad was going to happen! Police and recovery all said very lucky to be a live as cars without stiffer suspension etc can sometimes topple of over when this happens or if the other wheel had of come off We'd of been straight into the central reservation and into the path of cars behind! :(

Black 197
thats the second car this week to have its wheel fall off !, bar the other car had a bearing failure... Its all good going for the tripod effect but best when all 4 wheels are attached huh lol....

Glad your safe though bud

Arctic Blue FF 182
I was guna say. Im sure i have seen 3 wheel fail threads this week at least.

Glad it all pasted without too much damage, could have been a lot worse!

SQ5
Cheers everyone, I've seen another fail thread due to a bearing, were any due to spacers? Anyway I can get come legal stuff done with the company that made the non hub centrics????

Ph1.2 / VW Polo
i was gonna get some non-hubcentric ones.
put me off now.
reeeallly dont wanna spend £150 on hubcentric.
urgh.

SQ5
I'll order them now then :) Thanks!

Any chance of making this thread a sticky, would hate for this to happen to anyone else!

Ph1.2 / VW Polo
2492320405_f8b968bd38.jpg

I only want 5mm spacers... is it worth getting them hubcentric? also CAN i actually buy them this size hubcentric?

Thanks

Mk2 Clio 1.6
type 11 are hubcentrics aswell.....the 15mm on the site mentioned. but they use the longer bolts as opposed to the 25mm that bolt to the hub. but even with the type 11, pressure is on the hub still not on the bolts.

Yeah I saw your car on the side about to get towed on to a truck with police around you - couldn't see any damage but now can!

Ph1
Is this thread not more of a wheel bolt issue rather than a spacer thing? :S

Can see how the wheel in effect was balancing on the wheel bolts but if the bolts hadnt come loose and were long enough then the wheel wouldnt have come off in the first place? :S

Appologys if im reading it wrong :eek:

Can see how the wheel in effect was balancing on the wheel bolts but if the bolts hadnt come loose and were long enough then the wheel wouldnt have come off in the first place? :S

no..bolts are designed to hold the wheel onto a hub..not locate it against the side forces encountered when the wheel is bolted to a flat surface.

SQ5

No, all bolts were tight. The weight that had been transfered onto that side, mainly from a track day with heavy right handers, caused the wheel bolts to lenthen the holes on the hub. The hub wasn't taking any of the weight because the spacers were there. Bolts were also 10mm longer so everything was "perfect" lol.

well the works cars ran them on loads of occasions ...clio maxi's ran them..never had a fail...

easier and cheaper than having to change rim offset just to fill a few mm in an arch..

Evo 8 MR
No offence or anything but that's what you get for buying universal non hubcentric spacers tbh.

What size were they btw?

Could have been worse though so you are very lucky.

PH1 172 Sport
don't 5mm ones still sit on the hub...

Yeah they do hence why you can't get them hubcentric!

Need to use longer bolts with them though. I know some don't but 5mm of thread it quite allot!

EDIT: To Gaz197 fitting 5mm spacers to the PH1 to give it the cups track width is one of the best things Ive done for the price, as the car is so much more planted. As said though I would always recommend longer bolts even with 5mm spacers.