ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dont want to start arguement......

Golf 7R
Incidentally people, i cannot believe that i am being flamed on a clio forum for having a positive opinion on a clio of all things. Isnt anyone going to stick up for me here :D

Its not a case of anyone sticking up for you, ppl have different opinions i love my clio to bits and is constantly surprising me and putting a smile on my face from ear to ear, i have driven the CTR and its a fantastic car, but just because i own a Renaultsport does not mean i should automatically slate it.

Nissan 350Z
Yes but as I have said till i am blue in the face here, i offered my opinions. The OP asked for opinions, i gave mine, simple as really.

I'm sure i've said the CTR is a good car at least 3 times in this thread, just that its not my favourite. However, people seem to be choosing to overlook that.

Golf 7R
And anyway, if you wanted a true drivers clio with all the thrills you would have purchased a trophy or 172 cup!

CTR--VX220D
I have both :)

Without a doubt the gearbox and Honda K20 engine beats the Clio hands down. Although I look at my MY '05 CTR as my day to dayer - better build quality and a nice place to be in.

For a fun little fast car and value for money the Clio is a close second.

However if you do what I have done and buy 172 spend £4-£5k+ on it and you will find you will have a very, very, very potent little pocket rocket and not many things will keep up with it. ;)

http://renaultsport-clio.blogspot.com/

:D

Last edited:
  MK1 V6 Lutecia / 197
Type R = Nothing, nothing, nothng, nothing....still nothing....(5000rpm) then bang....not very usable.

TT
I think you should grow some balls mate. You are 21 and you propose to do what your parents want you to do rather than what you want to do!! Its your life mate.

Ha ha, beat me to it. Was going to say the same thing!

both of you, firstly, if its a birthday present...kinda have to rely on their choice as well as mine......?so read before commenting, and as im still at uni, they are kinda still covering my ar*e so need to rely on their thoughts, but thanks for the useful comments on the car, and as for build quality, that kinda matters when you drive down the road and the car falls apart, stupid comment to that too

Thank you for the normal, useful quotes guys! Obviously i'l need to test drive both, but thanks for an overview! im glad it didnt really start an arguement till the end! and yes, clios are great cars, and i always expected that to be the conclusion at the end of it, but just because you love and own one car, doesnt make other cars useless (for those who gave useless comments)

Cheers to others

Last edited:
2 excellent cars that deliver similiar results in different ways...

Decide which you like the look of
Which you liked best on the test drive
And then finally decide if the CTR is worth the extra £££

Both have Pro's and Con's

Either way you can't lose... both are excellent cars!

Scirocco GT 210
both of you, firstly, if its a birthday present...kinda have to rely on their choice as well as mine......?so read before commenting, and as im still at uni, they are kinda still covering my ar*e so need to rely on their thoughts

It's your birthday, you should decide on what you get :rasp:

Until the clio falls to bits

Zip ties and gaffer tape ;)

But seriously all this talk about Clio’s falling to bits worries me even though I haven’t had anything go wrong with mine (30k and over 2 years) and the interior rattles less than my brothers 02 CTR, ok the Honda is more reliable than a Clio but do a bit of research and you will find the Honda isn’t bullet proof as people seem to suggest!

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I think to be honest both cars are pretty evenly matched, there is no said thing that puts the nail in the coffin to confirm which one should be bought.

If you were going out with Paris Hilton you would want to date Jessica Simpson, if you were going out with Jessica Simpson youd want to date Paris Hilton.

Thats kinda how it is with me, I drive a 172 cup and would kinda like to have a civic type R - but then i know as soon as i bought it id want to also have the cup back.

TT
I think to be honest both cars are pretty evenly matched, there is no said thing that puts the nail in the coffin to confirm which one should be bought.

If you were going out with Paris Hilton you would want to date Jessica Simpson, if you were going out with Jessica Simpson youd want to date Paris Hilton.

Thats kinda how it is with me, I drive a 172 cup and would kinda like to have a civic type R - but then i know as soon as i bought it id want to also have the cup back.

Ironically i prefer Jessica Simpson

Honda Civic Type R

very well said mate. i couldn't have put it better. i drive a ctr and quite often fancy having a 172 cup. however, i wouldn't go dating paris hilton. jessica would kill me if she found out;)

Clio 172 mk2

Zip ties and gaffer tape ;)

But seriously all this talk about Clio’s falling to bits worries me even though I haven’t had anything go wrong with mine (30k and over 2 years) and the interior rattles less than my brothers 02 CTR, ok the Honda is more reliable than a Clio but do a bit of research and you will find the Honda isn’t bullet proof as people seem to suggest!

I tend to agree

I think reliabily and build quality do vary considerably from car to car.

Leon Cupra
If people are honest there is nowt between them. I drove both back to back, i wanted the best car obviously being that it was my own money i was spending. The clio will shift quickly even without the vvt, the civic won't. Its great if you wanna spend your life screaming your head off. the honda wins hands down with build quality and reliablity, but every car is different and you may pick up a civic that goes wrong all the time! it happens. I love both cars, but for my money and an easier drive, the clio takes it, oh, and when you are driving about, how many 182/172 do you see? Not exaclty exclusive in the ctr.

Clio 172 mk2
There's probably 10/20 CTRs for every 172/182 around my way....they are just everywhere.

Not exclusive in the slightest

I want add to this thread now

whats all the bullshit slating the ctr for?? its a great car and no one can take that away from it. My mate has an limited edition ctr in red and it looks the total shiz to be honest.

lowered and full system is all that hes done to it i think and it sounds pretty amazing.

We have gone for a blast around the local lanes a few times and he can keep up with me on the straights no problem and theres also little difference on the twistys except they seem to be a little slugish coming outta bends (forever in 2nd gear)

But it was also the same the other way. Test em both and see what you want but it was the money factor that made my mind up.

Clio 172 mk2
I want add to this thread now

whats all the bulls**t slating the ctr for?? its a great car and no one can take that away from it. My mate has an limited edition ctr in red and it looks the total shiz to be honest.

lowered and full system is all that hes done to it i think and it sounds pretty amazing.

We have gone for a blast around the local lanes a few times and he can keep up with me on the straights no problem and theres also little difference on the twistys except they seem to be a little slugish coming outta bends (forever in 2nd gear)

But it was also the same the other way. Test em both and see what you want but it was the money factor that made my mind up.

I'm not slating it...I was merely making an observation which is that there are lots more CTRs around in my area than Clios. period.

I think it's a great car with a cracking engine...I just didn't buy one as I wasn't too keen on the powerband.

Leon Cupra 300
I'd just drive them both and see which you like best, i personally would rather have a type-r but didnt want to spend any more than i did for my cup.. the cheapest examples at the time were 8.5k, tatty and done like 60k miles.

So i went out and paid 6k for a 25k mile 03 plate cup thats abso mint and can afford a house too! :D

Leon Cupra 300
And...... i think my cup looks nicer than the civic. but..... its not happened yet but if one pulled up to me next to some lights i think id feel a degree of envy, a bit of a knob

Clio 172 mk2
Yeah..the CTR does seem to hold it's value better than the Clio...most of the cheaper CTRs I looked ate weren't great either.

TbH I think you have to spend 9/10k to get a decent one

Honda Civic Type R
if you're into modding there's more potential with a ctr. what with it being japanese and all. and with the right exhaust they sound amazing. and with a hondata ecu they develop quite a lot of torque down low. i really must get a video made so you can hear mine. it's a total beast

Golf GTI PP Mk7
ive never driven a CTR, so my opinion is probably not worth much, but ill chip in anyway.

Every time I see a CTR i think to myself 'Nice car mate'. Its built better, it seems a tad more mature, and I personally think they look ok. Granted the RS is more 'raw', more hardcore as a hot hatch, but the CTR appears to edge away from that just a tad to give you a few creature comforts.

Granted, the steering feel might not be up there with the clio, but then you're sat in a far more solidly built cabin. Granted it may not be massivly faster for the money, but lets not forget, £500 will boost the CTR a hell of alot more than it will the clio.

I would however buy the clio if it was a straight choice between the two, for this, one and only reason.

I see at least one CTR, sometimes more, at some point every day, on the road somewhere. I see another RS, once every few days, if that. The clio is more exclusive, and I like that.

[/uninformed rambling]

BMW 330d :)
I've been driven by a guy in an anniversary type r civic and I have a 172 cup. It didnt feel as raw and the power delivery was smoother which is probably due to the extra 200kg it pulls around. But I have no doubt that 100 mph + it would pull better when weight is less of an issue and engine power takes over.

The clio is feels much more torquier as well and in my view is better for overtaking as you dont need to rev it as much as the type r to get past that doddiling driver.

The steering would also annoy me as its far too light with not enough feedback , which they are supposedly addressing in the new type r.

In conclusion its better built and more reliable, will hold its value better as well but then again it did cost a fair bit more to start with. But it isnt as nimble and responsive as a renaultsport clio which to me is what matters when buying a hot hatch. The performance is too close to call but I prefer the clios more agressive "kick". Who is able to do 100mph + on the roads regularly nowadays anyway?

Clio 1, Honda 0

1.2 16v clio
id say the ctr over the 182 but then id also rather have a bmw or an is200 over all of them. not worth the risk of drivin like a tw*t on the roads with the police and the amount of other t*ssers on the road my mate died on saturday because he wo overtakin and the other guy didnt like it 1 thing led to another and then wen he tried to pull back in because another car was comin the guy didnt slow down and my mate ended up in the field and the other guy just drove off. so every1 think twice when your on bout rallyin through your twisties.

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Well as proven many times a clio can easily pull on a EP3...Well mine can!! So buy MINE!!! lol

Honda Civic Type R
this last page contains far better, more open minded, non biased reviews than the other other 3 pages. to the original poster, i suggest you just read this page and ignore the rest as they just contain silly arguments (of which i was involved in [hangs head in shame]) and even sillier comments.

it's ineveitable that these two cars are gonna be debated as they are both so good and close performance wise. if you're into revving hard and really using the gearbox to keep it in the power band than not much will come close to a ctr in it's category. if you're into go kart handling and chuckability and a punchy and responsive engine not much beats the clio.

looks are all down to the individual. however if you don't mind spending the money on an ecu and remap, the ctr will leave any standard (non v6)clio for dead all through the rev range. and if you spend a little extra on exhaust and induction you will be beating any standard v6 255 too. (like mine does:rasp: )

go on youtube and type in "fifth gear civic type r" and you should get a vid of a ctr vs a 182. then you'll see that all these comments about a ctr not being a good handling car are all nonsense. round a track a ctr should beat an rs clio, except for maybe the 172 cup or 182 trophy:cool:

agree with the above also, it just comes down to price imo.

if i had the money id get a good ctr no doubt but as im a dirty student i aint lol!!