ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Door card sealer

Clio 182
Does anyone know what the non-setting door-card sealer is, please? The black sticky stuff. It's on a 182. I was going to put some new stuff on because my door cards have been on and off several times and a lot of it is missing.

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
From my experience doing it the door card is easy to remove but the butyl makes an absolute mess, I used WD40 and a plastic scraper to clean off the old stuff. There are little dot marks on the back to help you apply the new butyl back in place (if you are going down the full clean/replacement route)

More importantly it stains really badly so make sure you wear clothes you don't mind ruining.

Clio 182
The butyl tape was perfect and seems to be very similar if not the same as what was on there before. When I opened the box for the tape, it said put it in the fridge for a few hours first to make it easier to handle. It had been sat in my garage for a few days which isn't much warmer than my fridge! The remnants of the old stuff were quite easy to remove and it was really easy to apply the tape - just a few minutes to lay it between the dotted guides. There was nothing messy or staining about it, so I don't know if @Green51 was working with something a bit different, or if keeping it cold keeps it cleaner? The width of the tape was all over the place - it was meant to be 8mm, but it varied from about 4mm to 12mm, although that really doesn't matter in this application.

TheBandit

ClioSport Club Member
  Monaco172, Green 1.2
The butyl tape was perfect and seems to be very similar if not the same as what was on there before. When I opened the box for the tape, it said put it in the fridge for a few hours first to make it easier to handle. It had been sat in my garage for a few days which isn't much warmer than my fridge! The remnants of the old stuff were quite easy to remove and it was really easy to apply the tape - just a few minutes to lay it between the dotted guides. There was nothing messy or staining about it, so I don't know if @Green51 was working with something a bit different, or if keeping it cold keeps it cleaner? The width of the tape was all over the place - it was meant to be 8mm, but it varied from about 4mm to 12mm, although that really doesn't matter in this application.
It was the 18 year old stuff on the car that was staining for me, good to hear it went well 👍