ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

door lock mechanisms (clio 172)

Hadn't been able to open the left rear door for quite some time and figured I needed to take care of that if I was to keep driving the clio (legally). So, off went the panels and out came the toolbox and we spent a couple of days before finally attacking the right rear door to remove that mechanism and figure out how to open the door. Some blood and a bent screwdriver later, the door was open and the lock mechanism removed. And the inside of the car looks... well, it's not a pretty sight but then it doesn't really need to be (hope I'm not offending anyone now). Next thing then was to find a replacement lock mechanism. And this turns out to be almost impossible. How can it be that the dismantlers have all those lock mechanisms for the front doors and the rear right but almost none for the rear left? However, I have noticed that the bolt pattern between the front and rear lock mechanisms are the same (or very very close) so I thought that maybe, just maybe, a front lock mechanism could be used in the rear door. Which leads us to the questions I'm finding a need to answer:

Can lock mechanisms from the front doors be used in the rear doors?

Are there any other lock mechanisms which could be made to work (mechanically, let's not bother with central locking for this)?

wow, just managed to make myself look a bit daft... my car is clearly not a 172 but simply a lower-end mk2 phase 1 5-door model. could a moderator please change the topic title to reflect that it's about "mk2 ph1 5dr" rather than "172"? would do it myself if I could or knew how... Sorry guys...