ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Doors wouldnt lock/unlock and now the car wont start

Clio 172
Im the lucky owner of a 172 ph1 and as the title says, i can't unlock the doors with my remote control.

It started yesterday morning with the car not starting because of a flat battery. I got the car jumped and it worked fine for the rest of the day, though i couldn't lock or unlock the car using my key fob.

So today i tried to do a little fault finding on this problem, so i replaced the battery in the key but to no use. I tried all the different "key re-sync" methods around but to no use. Checked all fuses as well.

So i took the console apart to check if the radio-key-transmitter was broken. Mind you the car had been able to start with no problems up until now. I took the transmitter off the plug to check for loose connections and what not, but nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

NOW THE CAR WONT START AND IM LOOSING MY F****** MIND OVER IT.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated and ill write you into my will if you solve it.

Clio 172
Battery is shagged.
ill try to replace the battery today. But it was just after i pulled off the transmitter for the wireless key central locking that the car wouldnt start. Before that it started just fine, it was just the doors that wouldnt unlock. If that makes any sense.

Clio 172
Yes. And I have tried the spare key with no result. Just now i switched around the three black relays in the engine bay fuse box and the car fired for a second before cutting out. 2 off the relay and some of the wires on the back of them are corroded, so im getting all New relays at renault tomorrow.

PH2 172
Yes. And I have tried the spare key with no result. Just now i switched around the three black relays in the engine bay fuse box and the car fired for a second before cutting out. 2 off the relay and some of the wires on the back of them are corroded, so im getting all New relays at renault tomorrow.

Replacing relays if the wiring is corroded will be a waste of time & money.
Check their function by flashing them up with a 12v battery and a multimeter.

Clio 172
Replacing relays if the wiring is corroded will be a waste of time & money.
Check their function by flashing them up with a 12v battery and a multimeter.
I know, but im replacing them anyway as they are corroded (light Blue dust all over the bottom of the relays). Ill fis the wires as well.

dan's cast offs.
16832016_10154345234882688_4082494258936702157_n.jpg

Clio 172
I always buy a new carpet rather than hoover it!
Im not that electrically inclined, so id rather replace them than messing around with the wires and relays for hours without any results. And while im at it ill ask the guys at renault if they have some tips.

dan's cast offs.
don't buy relays from renault, don't know their prices but you'll pay through the nose for sure!!! car builder solutions, polevolt, rs, autosparks etc will have the relays at a fraction of the price.

Clio 172
I know but I need the relays asap, and im not located in the UK or US so i can't have them by post tomorrow. The guy at renault said that he knew they were pricy, but he found some relays that are exactly the same from a Volvo at half the price.

Clio 172
So i didn't have a 12 volt supply at hand so i mcgyvered one with my booster pack and some wires. Almost killed myself but the relays seem to function as they should. When it stop raining ill go out and give the relay box some contact cleaner and see what happen.

PH2 172
So i didn't have a 12 volt supply at hand so i mcgyvered one with my booster pack and some wires. Almost killed myself but the relays seem to function as they should. When it stop raining ill go out and give the relay box some contact cleaner and see what happen.

And the 90 pin plug on top of the ECU.

Iceberg PH1 172
Is your immobiliser light flashing fast? ( 2 flashes per second?)

Does it turn over, start briefly, then fail? Less than a seconds running?

Clio 172
I should probably point out, that when i took off the transmitter for the remote control key, the car wouldnt start afterwards and the central locking didn't work as well. Not from the key and from the button inside the car.

Clio 172
The car starts now and the remote control works. There was a 5 AMP fuse for "multi temp" (what ever that means) that was burned. Replaced that and it fired right up. These f**king cars are gonna be the death of me. I appreciate all off you excellent input though, and im sure ill need it for real sometime in the future.