ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dos and don’ts for storage in garage

Clio182
This autumn my 182 is going to be taken off the road and into storage for a while - so this post is about storage and any important dos and don’ts you’d like to contribute. Please post away, no holds barred. All views, suggestions and tips are welcome….

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Handbrake off
On axle stands if possible
Battery on ctek charger/conditioner
Damp trap or bowl of dehumidifying salts inside.
Soft cover if possible.

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Is running the motor even a good idea if it's not going to get completely warm?

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
Mine sit outside under a soft all-weather cover, so the garage is probably better

My routine for the last 5 years:
  1. Run the fuel down
  2. Pick a nice day in October
  3. Whip wheels off
  4. Give the underneath/inside arches a good clean/degrease
  5. Touch up any underseal/paint
  6. Hit it with BH Atom-Mac and ACF-50
  7. Take the battery off
  8. Leave it in gear with the handbrake off
  9. Cover on
  10. Come back the following March and enjoy
Cars always start first time, and pretty much look as good as they did before storage.

If your car is a rot box it wouldn't matter what you did to it, it'll still rot. But if it's cared for, it'll survive many winters with the above treatment.

EDIT***This only applied to my 182 track car and my 182 RB. My 182 BG gets the Atom-Mac and ACF-50 treatment but then runs all winter. It'll be its 6th season.

Stefan.

ClioSport Club Member
Mine sit outside under a soft all-weather cover, so the garage is probably better

My routine for the last 5 years:
  1. Run the fuel down
  2. Pick a nice day in October
  3. Whip wheels off
  4. Give the underneath/inside arches a good clean/degrease
  5. Touch up any underseal/paint
  6. Hit it with BH Atom-Mac and ACF-50
  7. Take the battery off
  8. Leave it in gear with the handbrake off
  9. Cover on
  10. Come back the following March and enjoy
Cars always start first time, and pretty much look as good as they did before storage.

If your car is a rot box it wouldn't matter what you did to it, it'll still rot. But if it's cared for, it'll survive many winters with the above treatment.

EDIT***This only applied to my 182 track car and my 182 RB. My 182 BG gets the Atom-Mac and ACF-50 treatment but then runs all winter. It'll be its 6th season.

I've always thought fill the tank to the brim??

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
What about the E10 eating away at rubber seals

or is that just for much older cars

Don't let E10 sit full stop, it's not good stuff.

Find an Esso station that does 99+ fuel, it should (might) be Ethanol free.

Esso UK said:
Although our pumps have E5 labels on them, our Synergy Supreme+ 99 is actually ethanol free (except, due to technical supply reasons, in Devon, Cornwall, North Wales, North England and Scotland).

chazza114

ClioSport Club Member
I've found that putting at least one of the moisture traps inside the car and one under the bonnet does wonders.

Moisture Trap.jpg

The first year I garaged my Clio, I had a bit of mold growing on the seat belts and my plugs were compleltely fouled as moisture had worked its way to them. Second year, I popped these on the rear seat and one on the fuel rail guard, plugs were completely dry and the car started first time.

Mr Underhill

ClioSport Club Member
I've found that putting at least one of the moisture traps inside the car and one under the bonnet does wonders.

View attachment 1607152

The first year I garaged my Clio, I had a bit of mold growing on the seat belts and my plugs were compleltely fouled as moisture had worked its way to them. Second year, I popped these on the rear seat and one on the fuel rail guard, plugs were completely dry and the car started first time.
Good shout, won't hurt to try a few of those.

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Stick it in the garage, damp trap inside, trickle charger or battery negative off, and leave handbrake off..thats all ive done with several cars for years without too many dramas.

Maybe start up once every 3 month and take it for a shot round the block, get it fully warmed up..wouldnt recommend just starting up and letting it idle every week though.

Amos91

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
How long are you leaving it for?

I personally wouldn't run it if it's for an extended period of time, likely to induce unnecessary condensation.

In terms of fuel tank I always brim it, even though the tank is plastic on the Clio's, there are parts of the fuel pump that are metal. With the Caterham I fill the tank, then spray in some Bilt Hamber Gas-Mac. ( Nov-Mar)

HaveaCuppa

ClioSport Club Member
Put mine into storage for a few months earlier in the year, and it’ll be going away end of October until the spring.

I got it serviced, pumped the tires up, left in gear with the handbrake off, battery conditioner hooked up and put a couple of moisture bags in the car. I started it up and took it for a short run around the block once or twice but that’s it.

It’s currently on daily duties and running spot on. I wouldn’t worry too much, just don’t use the handbrake and either disconnect the battery or trickle charge it.

Evo 5 RS
People often overthink it.

Drain or brim the tank, either or. You don't want moisture

Try to make sure there isn't any damp, obviously

Battery conditioner

Park it up and don't lose sleep over nothing

Don't start it up once a week if you're not going to use it, all you're doing is building up carbon and nothing is really being done other than making you feel better about it

When you bring it out, drain the oil, maybe fuel if it's sat for more than 12 months and blow off the cobwebs

Done. It's a car, not an avocado