ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dreamweaver PHP preview setup

306 TD Slut
I know some people use dreamweaver on here so I'm hoping you can help me :)

Been playing with basic PHP, like includes etc..

However i don't know how to preview the site unless i upload it onto the web server.

There are loads of settings in dreamweaver that i don't really understand.

Testing folder, localhost HTTP etc..

i have done a couple of google's and it hasn't come up with much.

Does anyone have any tutorials, or can anyone talk me through it please?

would be appreciated alot!!

Mark.

350Z GT
i use dreamweaver pretty much all the time, whenever i want to preview PHP files i upload them to the internet and view them, there is software such as easy php which can emulate mySQL databases/php server's on your pc but i have never used it before but that would probably work. F12 in dreamweaver is used to preview HTML pages etc which do not rely on includes etc..

306 TD Slut
xampp is the software, or one of, that you can use. But i read somewhere that there was a way not needing this.

Nik

ClioSport Admin
  Clio Trophy #355
As far as i know you'll need a PHP server running to render the PHP so you'll have to either upload to webserver, or as Josh says, you can install easyphp which will essentially setup a php server on your machine to do the job

350Z GT
if you cant sort out any other way of doing it with out using a web server i can give you some webspace if you wish... got a server i use for testing atm with tons of free space on it, just drop me a PM if you need some.

Now Clio-less... Derv :/
Alright mate

What you're after is a Webserver. There are a lot of free ones available which provide an all in one installation of Apache (the http server), PHP (the PHP processor) and MySQL (the database engine - prolly not necessary at your level but useful anyway)

I use a program called AppServ to do this, available from http://www.appservnetwork.com/

Download the latest version and install it.

In the directory where you have installed it, you will find a folder called 'www' - this is where all of your web pages will go to be displayed. So, if your install dir was C:\AppServ then your 'root directory' will be C:\AppServ\www and this is where you can start putting your PHP pages - PHP will automatically be set up to read from there.

To test the install is successful, open up your browser and type localhost in the address bar. It should take you to a page with details of your AppServ install. You can delete all this by going to the www folder and removing the contents. If there is a folder in there called phpmyadmin then leave it as it is an extremely useful tool for managing databases when you, which you inevetably will, start using PHP with MySQL.

Set a site up in dreamweaver and call it 'www' or 'root' or something like that and point it to your AppServ www folder. When it asks you to select server type, select PHP/MySQL and if it asks your for remote server details, select 'Edit and test my files locally'

Hope this helps.. let me know if you need any more info!

Regards,
Rob

306 TD Slut
if you cant sort out any other way of doing it with out using a web server i can give you some webspace if you wish... got a server i use for testing atm with tons of free space on it, just drop me a PM if you need some.

Thanks mate,

I have some space under my domain that should be suffient. I think i got it working, i dont quite get all the local host jargon etc..

seems to have worked though using Xampp.

306 TD Slut
Alright mate

What you're after is a Webserver. There are a lot of free ones available which provide an all in one installation of Apache (the http server), PHP (the PHP processor) and MySQL (the database engine - prolly not necessary at your level but useful anyway)

I use a program called AppServ to do this, available from http://www.appservnetwork.com/

In the directory where you have installed it, you will find a folder called 'www' - this is where all of your web pages will go to be displayed. So, if your install dir was C:\AppServ then your 'root directory' will be C:\AppServ\www and this is where you can start putting your PHP pages - PHP will automatically be set up to read from there.

To test the install is successful, open up your browser and type localhost in the address bar. It should take you to a page with details of your AppServ install. You can delete all this by going to the www folder and removing the contents. If there is a folder in there called phpmyadmin then leave it as it is an extremely useful tool for managing databases when you, which you inevetably will, start using PHP with MySQL.

Set a site up in dreamweaver and call it 'www' or 'root' or something like that and point it to your AppServ www folder. When it asks you to select server type, select PHP/MySQL and if it asks your for remote server details, select 'Edit and test my files locally'

Regards,
Rob

very helpful cheers mate!

Alright mate

Regards,
Rob

very helpful cheers mate!

np mate.. happy to help!

Give me a shout if you get stuck

306 TD Slut
if i type in localhost it takes me to a windows page localstart.asp.

"To add documents to your default Web site, save files in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\. "

it didnt bring up the appserv page?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
localhost = the computer you are on now..

or

if you upload the php script to another system locathost = that system..

localhost also = 127.0.0.1 (which is a local loopback address)

if i type in localhost it takes me to a windows page localstart.asp.

"To add documents to your default Web site, save files in c:\inetpub\wwwroot\. "

it didnt bring up the appserv page?

sounds like you have enabled microsoft server mate.. that is a similar thing to Apache.. but it's microsofts own version and it's configged to parse ASP rather than PHP.

You will need to uninstall/disable this before an Apache console will run.

To do this, go to control panel > add remove programs > then click Add or Remove Windows Components

Scroll down the list to Internet Information Services (IIS) and make sure it is unchecked. Click next and complete the process.

Rob