ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Drilled Rear Discs

Clio Cup/GSXR 600
Ordered some standard renault rear discs and DS2500 pads for my cup as the rears are fooked, got them yesterday and they,ve sent me drilled discs, Should i send them back and swap them for standard or just fit them. Ive not been charged extra? Just not too keen on Drilled discs and my fronts arn't drilled there Brembo high carbon? Dont know if it'd look right with standard look fronts but drilled rears, even tho you can hardly see the rears anyway?

Comments welcome

Cheers

Last edited:
  Clio 182 Trophy 047/500
I have never been to certain of drilled discs, the last set i had cracked where the holes were drilled.

It down to personal choice though, I have alwasy gone for standard discs and will continue to do that.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Ordered some standard renault rear discs and DS2500 pads for my cup as the rears are fooked, got them yesterday and they,ve sent me drilled discs, Should i send them back and swap them for standard or just fit them. Ive not been charged extra? Just not too keen on Drilled discs and my fronts arn't drilled there Brembo high carbon? Dont know if it'd look right with standard look fronts but drilled rears, even tho you can hardly see the rears anyway?

Comments welcome

Cheers

Exactly the same happened to me mate, got them from K tec by any chance?!

Clio Cup/GSXR 600
^^^^ Yeah i did, what did you do? The bearings are in so they are ready to fit and ive got my braided lines as well so might as well do it all together.

Mk2 172
drilled discs are a no no and i dont care what anyone says but they crack outwards from the holes. no good really. grooved is they way forward but not loads of them!

Cup Turbo, Flamer
I fitted them, my old rear's were shot and was going to the ring the next day had no choice! They worked fine, not that cups use the rear brakes that much anyway!

Mk2 172
thats a fair point. they may as well not bother with them. as long as you dont fit them on the front then thats fine :)

Clio Cup/GSXR 600
Yeah sod it save the bother of sending them back, no dont want themon the front anyway happy with the current set up - DS2500 and Brembo H/C up front

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
On my first car i put some drilled disks on, i nearly died when one cracked braking from high speed..

An important note about drilled rotors: Drilled rotors are typically only found (and to be used on) race cars. The drilling weakens the rotors and typically results in microfractures to the rotor. On race cars this isn't a problem - the brakes are changed after each race or weekend. But on a road car, this can eventually lead to brake rotor failure - not what you want. I only mention this because of a lot of performance suppliers will supply you with drilled rotors for street cars without mentioning this little fact.

http://www.carbibles.com/brake_bible.html

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Yeah i've heard loads of stories like that, but on the rears they can't do that much harm when so little breaking is being done?

Just curious though, if so bad how come porsche have them as standard?

G_F

BMW M3 & Williams 3
on the rears they can't do that much harm when so little breaking is being done?

Probably not, might look a bit strange with drilled on the backs and not the front?

Just curious though, if so bad how come porsche have them as standard?

They are changed at nearly every service, i want my didks to last at least 30k, but if you have the money to do it, why not, i would if i was minted.

Cup Turbo, Flamer
Yeah does look a bit odd, but as its mainly a track car so i'm not really fussed!

Expensive business owning a porsche then!

Audi TT 225
I got tarox drilled and grooved and they've had some heavy use and they're fine no cracks yet!
If drilled discs aren't heat treated after they get drilled then they will crack.
Then again they weren't too cheep either lol £400 all round for discs and pads