ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Drive shaft gattors

Mr2 Roadster

I thought that it was a difficult job, can anyone advise?:oops:

I am quite technical and have do most things on the car myself...

Mr2 Roadster

Thanks Ben,

Is that it, a mate told me it was really difficult. I would need to replace the outside one at the sametime, would be sensible, as I would have to remove it to get the inner one on.

Do I need any special tools to get the hub off ?

Williams 2, STi N12

Nope, just a good set of pullers so you put the prongs into the wheel nut holes and then wind the centre one onto the driveshaft spline (nut off first though).

Undo either the split pin (5mm tap) or the 3 nuts keeping the plate on, depending which side you are changing. Then just take it out. The tripod end on the nearside d/s is a bit fiddley but nothing too special.

Easy.

Mr2 Roadster

Better get me some pullers then... And then Ill be ready, only had the car two weeks, think I should treat myself to the bible, for a little extra help!

Mr2 Roadster

Have just spoken to Renault and they have told me that the inside gaitor comes with a bering that needs replacing at the same time? It also cost £29+ Vat instead of £9+Vat for the outside one. Can anyone advice on this, is this Renault being silly or do I need to do this at the same time as it is diffferent if you buy the bits from EuroCarParts...?

Thanks, Nick.:confused:

Williams 2, STi N12

The easiest one. The driveshaft is connected to the gearbox stub axle by the roll pin...get a new one from renault as they have updated the design of it to a single piece one now, and some sealant.

Decide if you want to take the driveshaft completely out or not. You can change gaitors with it still attached to hub.

If out, undo the hub nut before jacking up car, get a new one though to replace it with. Remove road wheel, and undo the top strut bolt, and loosen lower one. This will give you enough lateral play in the assembly. Knock out roll pin between driveshaft and stub axle (5mm tap), you will now be able to slide off the driveshaft spline from the stub axle. Now you have a choice, either change gaitor assembly here or press out driveshaft from hub with the puller so you can do it on a bench.

A quick change of gaitor assembly, as part of a kit from renault and put it all back together, with new rool pin, sealant and hub nut (if needed). Easy.

Mr2 Roadster

Thanks Geezer, all starting to make sense now. Just one last part: Renault said the kit comes with a bearing as well for the inside one, do I need to use/replace this as there is no damange to the one in there as far as I know. Should I just do the gaitor or should I do the bearing as well, is it easy to do the bearing?

Also, where are you from, Im a South Londoner. Dont worry, I wont ask you to help me do it, just wondering...

Williams 2, STi N12

I think it might come as part of the kit, if it does then replace it. I did all mine when I took the engine and gearbox out. So cant quite remember the bits I bought.

If I can do it on my todd then Im sure you can.

Down in Brighton.

Get the bible though, cause you dont wanna get half way and co*k it up.

Mr2 Roadster

I might be down that way on Saturday but Im making the missus drive and its not worth meeting up as I doubt you want to see her bog standard 1.6 206cc...

Might come down another weekend with DannyBoy just for the drive, Then I can shout you the beer I know I owe you for all the advice...;)

Williams 2, STi N12

Nah, dont worry about the beer mate. Thats what this place is all about, but you are sure welcome to take a spin down here. Flatmate has a Mk172 as well, some great scenery on the beach if you know what I mean.

huh?

you mean it has to be hot for me to run about naked!??

Anders, i had the older two peice pin and my, was that a bugger to get out the sun wheel!

Mr2 Roadster

As much as I would like to see you hooning round naked in your motor, I hoping the birds will surfice... Otherwise I may have to get back to you, if DannyBoy doesnt beat me to you!

Mr2 Roadster

That DannyBoy is a pain in the arse, always beats me to the nice boys in his 172... LMAO

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

Ive noticed that there has been i mis-understanding in this post.

Anders is explaining how to take the OUTER gattors off not the INNERS i think (only scim reading)!

21/2 hour job for a mechanic to keep something compressed, blarr blarr blarr, need to take entire driveshaft off & Reno wanted 200 for mine to be done. Got it elsewhere for 150 & had it done today. Check my gearbox oil leak thread for more info. ;) Gearbox feels much better for it too!

um, you still have to do that procedure to take out the driveshaft to get to the inner gaiter. I think he means you can move it off the gearbox splines but you dont have to take it physically off the car, you can work on it in situ.

thats right ben...........but ive heard you are.......!! u know....pillow talk !!!

owwww ben....whilst yer here.....ave you sorted that boil out on yer arse yet ???....if not Raj has some special cream !!!

WTF are you on mate!!

it was a haemerrhoid!!!

and thanks for the cram, ill have to buy you some more!