ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Drivers Side - Drive Shaft

Clio 172mk2
Right ive had a slight rattle / nocking presumed it to be suspension, Ive just jacke car up and the drivers side inner boot is totally ripped so leaked all grease out. Going off previous posts you cant just change the boots, plus with movement in shaft id presume it faulty (im no engineer though lol)

So if its full shahft change how much am i looking at paying and will any drive shaft do, like eurocarparts / gsf, or is renault best etc

thanks for replies

172 CUP
I believe Renault sell them brand new for £250 and re-conditioned for £150, I'm not 100% sure though, i'm sure someone will tell you the prices soon. As for the driveshaft that Eurocarparts sell I have heard nothing but bad things about them. My inner cv joint has gone on my drivers side and I was quoted for a new driveshaft £80+vat I can't remember what the company is called as I did it through a mate, but i'll find out and then will let you know

BG 182 FF
About £140 for a recon one from Renault. Don't forget to get a new hub nut too as it doesn't come with it. They also sold me a seal but I don't think this is needed. Came to £172 all in. That was a only a couple of days ago.

Clio 172mk2
Cool cheers, are recon ones worth getting other new ones.

Also if i was to fit, is it a case of remove the hub nut / maybe hit this with hammer to loosen it.
then remove 2 suspension bolts and pull disc towards to get it out?

So no special tools needed

Thaanks for replies so far

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Remove the ball joint bolts onto the wishbone, gives you enough clearance to wiggle the shaft out of the hub. I unwound the nut about half way and tapped it out a bit, nothing to difficult really. Just be careful putting the new one in so you dont chew up the splines.

And a recon one should be fine.

Clio 172mk2
would removing the ball joint bolts, mean when put back on it wont need tacking doing too.

tar

Clio 172mk2

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
The balljoints are fixed, your more likely to knock the alignment out disconnecting the strut.

Clio 172mk2
When fitting do you put any kind of greese on ends?, im presuming hub nut will come off with socket set, as i don have a impact wrench, tar

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
I put a little bit of copper grease on the splines to help it slide in, but otherwise no, the grease is all in the CV boots lol.

BG 182 FF
You'll need a torque wrench when putting the new hub nut back on - 280nm. Old one should come off using brute force and a breaker bar.