ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Driveshaft not engaging!?

RS172
Evening CS

I'm working on my 172 currently, its off the road an i'm replacing parts left right and centre.

I've had to replace the o/s driveshaft (driver side) as the boots were messes up etc.

I've put it all back together, all bolts and locked back in place, though I seem to be having a problem!

When i pull the disc around the driveshaft sounds like its jumping? Making a click clunk type sound, and judders.

I've got it up on stands at the moment, started the engine and put it in gear, the passenger side engages, but the driver side stands still. Is this normal?

I'm pretty sure both driveshaft should be engaging at this point.

Anyone have any ideas what this could be? Driveshaft makes no effort to move when in gear!

All comments appreciated as im loosing the will to live here ha!

RS172
Seems to be in all the way lol! No it was not genuine, want to find out if this is the shaft of the gearbox and shat itself?

RS172
The whole driveshaft does tend to move when I spin the disc so appears it's all in tact

RS172
Yeah bottom ball joint, track rod end and driveshaft hub nut. Including the holding bracket for the driveshaft!

RS172
Should both sides engage? Thing is it doesn't even make a noise when it's in gear, so sounds as if that side of the box isn't actually trying to move?

RS172
Yeah everything is nice and tight. You feel as if I've pulled the shaft offs the spline? I got under and their is about a 10mm gap between the end of the shaft and the box spline

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
No in the joint. If you pull them apart they can disengage and not turn properly. A wiggle and a push normally sorts it but if your all bolted up it's difficult to get it in there

RS172
yeah other side seems absolutely fine, and engaging when in gear too. No funky noises that side!

Here's vid no.2

[video=youtube_share;C2NeGWcRPsk]http://youtu.be/C2NeGWcRPsk[/video]

RS172
Yeah I thought that at first! I'll grab a video of it running in gear tomorrow. Seriously at ends with this?

RS172
Seems to be the same size. In one ofbthe videos you can actually see the gearbox spline moving with the shaft

Cup In bits
You can see it jumping on the gearbox side in your first video, the shaft is turning yet the output shaft in the box is only turning at times.

Common thing to happen on the older Meganes I'm told. Here's the repair for it. And if you don't already know.... Don't drive it.

http://bit.ly/15A027x

Annnnd..... Do you have that in gear? Remove the shaft or at least remove the bottom balljoint to slide it back a little then turn the box by hand or some pliers and that will let you know for sure. Pretty sure its jumping the teeth though.

RS172
If that's the case I'll get back to the seller as it's a brand new shaft with warranty! I'll double check what it's doing tomorrow aswel

Cup In bits
Your shaft looks dodgy too in the first video. You shouldn't see any of the splines on the driveshaft side where it goes into that coupler and the 'flower' clip doesn't look too hot either.

RS172
The clip is lose as hell, should probably get a new one. Does it look like the shaft needs to be pushed further intimate gearbox side?

You need a genuine renault shaft. They are only £116ish unless its a cup.

That shaft is too short imo and looks s**t. Don't scrimp do it right;)

RS172
You sure it's going to be the shaft? Just don't want to buy a gen shaft if I'm going to have the same problem :(

clio 172
if both sides are on jackstands, then yes, both wheels should spin. If only the drivers side is not spinning, its not a knackered box, its a knachered driveshaft.

Try the old driveshaft with the knackered boots. You may have bough an 1.* shaft by mistake which isnt the right lenght and it doesnt reach far enough into the gearbox.