ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Driveshaft Weld..

Iceberg 172
Hi guys!

Im relatively new to Cliosport.net, purchased my 182 2 weeks ago from a lad who has owned it for 4 years, he purchased it from a dealer when he bought it.
On Friday, which was my birthday :( - I was going to Thorpe Park when my Clio decided to randomly stop accelerating, I personally thought it had knocked itself out of gear, but that obviously wasn't the case. So I pulled on to the hard shoulder & got recovered etc, found out it was my driveshaft. I managed to get it welded in a garage in Staines, and drove home with my welded driveshaft (which seems ok, touch wood.) I know I need a new driveshaft asap, but I've been told by the mechanic that usually if the shaft snaps in the middle then something is out of allignment?? Is this usually the case, or could it just be a weak point? Also how much is gearbox oil/which gearbox oil should I be using etc? I've been quoted £238.49 for a new driveshaft & labour... :( bearing in mind I've just forked out £703.00 for a dephaser pulley, oil & filters & cambelt & aux.. :'( (when I test drove & viewed my 182 it was cold & didn't sound like a tractor.) Butttttt anyway, I'm new to this scene & really would benefit from your help!

Amelia x

Lionel Richie
I'd love to see this, sounds very odd! a Service exchange shaft is only about £150, which side is it?

Clio 172mk2
drivers side wont loose any gearbox oil I don't think, think I paid 200 ish for a new shaft from Renault dealer on here and that was delivered to me

330i. E30 Touring.
Driveshaft snapped in the middle? Jesus. you'd know about it if that happened TBH.

Sure it wasn't just the circlip being welded back in?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Your a lady I take it?

Might just be the case they are trying to pull your pants down.

Iceberg 172
Tbh I might be telling you wrong.. It says on this invoice. 'Investigate breakdown, found offside driveshaft -to gearbox- internal spline stripped, preventing drive. Unable to source new shaft, carried out temp repair (welded sleeve to shaft)..

does that sound right? Sorry if I've told you wrong as I said I'm clueless. :(
yeah I'm a girl, hence why I'm constantly getting ripped off lol!

​Amelia

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
that's pretty good going to strip the sunwheel. Not sure if that can be replaced without taking apart the box? either way, you will now need a new drive shaft and sun wheel. Unless you can pin it.

S4 Avant
If its stripped the splines on the box, you'll need the gearbox taking apart. That will not be a cheap one I'm afraid!

Iceberg 172
Aw thank you so much! It's worth trying I suppose first hand before buying a whole new shaft I guess...