ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Driveshaft Woes

Clio 172
Hi Guys,

I'm having a little trouble with my ph2 172. In the last year or so I have been chewing through driveshafts. Anyone know what I should be looking into to deter the problem?

I've changed all engine and gearbox mounts, bought new driveshafts each time not recons and I am now running out of ideas. I have noticed there is a notch/bracket at the back of the engine that is very close to the driveshaft rubber boot, is this regular? Could this be catching under load?

If anyone has experienced similar please throw your two cents in as I am now on my 5th driveshaft in 12 months.

Audi A5
Where are you buying your driveshafts from?

If genuine from Renault you should have 12 months parts warrenty so you should be getting them replaced for free.

If non genuine then they may be giving up early due to lack of quality and I'd be checking with the provider to see if they have any warrenty.

Clio 172
Driveshafts are coming from Europarts, mill auto's etc to be fair they have replaced the last couple free of charge...my concern is that the problem is elsewhere and knackering the driveshaft? Agreed they might not be the same quality but they may as well be made of fudge if they only last 2-3 months

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
when you say they are failing, what do you mean, the rubber is splitting or the CV joint collapsing even with rubber in tact

if its just the rubber I'd say its the 3rd party shaft (cheap rubbers), and buy a proper one from Renault or a used one you know is good.

if its the CV shitting itself with the boots still in tact I'd be checking front end geo to see if the cars had a prang and its loading up the CV badly

Clio 172
I'd be checking front end geo to see if the cars had a prang and its loading up the CV badly

Will be doing this on Saturday, think it may be something to do with front end as this shaft has the rubber in tact but drives awfully, got to take the front end of to run a cold air feed, new bumper etc so its an ideal time to investigate.