ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Driving an uninsured car on your insurance?

1.4RT
Sorry if the title is a bit confusing but basically here is the idea... can you drive a car belonging to someone else and not insured for them on your own insurance third party? The reason I ask is my grandfather has a car that he doesn't drive anymore coz he's too old and so its not insured for anyone but it is taxed, can I use it on my policy if I take my own car off the road for a bit??? Cheers.

MR2 2.0 N/A & Mk1 1.2Clio
depends on your policy, it needs to be specificically stated that your covered for driving other cars. its a myth this whole 'fully comp lets you drive any car' and needs to be specifically stated.

if not you would be driving without insurance.

either that or phone up your insurance co and ask to temp change/add a vehicle.

To the best of my knowledge, even if your fully comp insurance gives you 3rd party cover on other cars, the other car has to be insured properly by someone else. I believe the idea is to stop you buying a Clio and a Ferrari, insuring the Clio fully comp, and driving the Ferrari 3rd party and not having to pay to insure it.

CJ

Blue ph1 172
^^^ As stated, has to state on your policy. I'm about to be bum raped for this same misunderstanding.

Paddy_g46

ClioSport Club Member
my policy says that i can drive any1 private motor car so long as it is roadworthy doesnt mention that they have 2 b drivign it aswell

Silver 172 Ph1
You cant have a car on the road full stop unless its insured. I couldnt park my old car on the road even though it was taxed without ins. So im guessing my dad for example (insured 3rd party on all cars) couldnt drive it if I couldnt even park it.

Im guessing its a no 99% sure