ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

driving without MOT or tax?

clio 172-?
A few years back, before the police fittted the vast majority of their traffic cars with ANPR cameras that will give them a cheesy grin inducing warning that you're vehicle is infact unroadworthy as you pass them...

i found this out 2weeks ago passing in my daily that had run out back on the 5th jan, got pulled over no MOT £60 fine, abit s**t but i was expecting a recovery van, i thought having no MOT was pretty bad. think thats why i have worried about this, in 5 years iv only been pulled over late at night (must have been all the burnouts around maccies :p) other than that probly once during the day.

mk2ph1 rsi 106rallye
This is incorrect I think, now that he has taken it elsewhere first?

You are allowed:
To drive to the MOT from wherever the car is
To drive from the MOT to wherever the car is ending up afterwards

You are not allowed to make any detours along the way, so if he went straight from the MOT to the garage it would be legal, but if he took the car home first then the next day takes it to the garage it is not. Thats my understanding anyway.

Edit, actually it would appear you are correct:

This is from the relevent section of law:

I've always assumed that to mean only on its initial journey from the MOT, but TBH how its worded makes it sound like you can drive it to and from as many garages as you like. strange one!

One thing I do know is there is no distance limit, so weirdly you can live in scotland and book an MOT in london and be legal to drive there and back. bizarre set of laws really.

checked it out with VOSA as i test in bristol and mot alot of mates/family that are not local all they said your covered to drive to and from an mot station or garage for repair.

clio 172-?
well all done and dusted, got pulled on the way home for no ins/tax/mot, managed to persuade the coppers i had insurance through my dads buisness (which i do) so i got a producer for that and escaped points and a £200 fine thank god, payed fees at the side of the road to a local recovery of which i get half back if i produce tax within 14 days, which i think tbf i have got off very very lightly, as for being covered driving to and from a garage for work you are not covered only to and from mot stations, all in this should end up costing me about £160 with no points, seeing as i got the belts done for a bargain price its pretty much a kick in the teeth.

cant believe where i got stopped, i pulled out of renault turned right ten yards down the road you come to a roundabout and there the copper was with his ampr.. instant OH s**t moment! but one thing to come out of it is the car now has to be on the road in 14 days or it gets seized so i will be driving the clio earlyer than i thought.
lesson learnt

clio 172-?
total idiot :lolup:

why start a thread when you wont even listen to advise. Glad you got pulled ....

i was waiting for one of these.
i was insured it just did not come up, cannot get tax without mot cant get mot without the work from renault. i wasnt paying £400+ to get it taken by a recovery company. as some said they thought that you could go to the place of work which i thought made sense but obviously now know you cant. as for glad i got pulled... bit sad

330i. E30 Touring.
Ring the local 'scrap cars cleared for free' /gypsy fella.

£40 and he'll do it. Much cheaper than recovery companies

RS6 C7
Serves you right to be honest, £400 to trailer a car up the road? I doubt that very much.

Anyone with a tow truck would do that for no more than £80.

Your clearly lazy by not bothering to shop around and it's a shame they didn't throw the book at you. Try listening next time.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
well all done and dusted, got pulled on the way home for no ins/tax/mot, managed to persuade the coppers i had insurance through my dads buisness (which i do) so i got a producer for that and escaped points and a £200 fine thank god, payed fees at the side of the road to a local recovery of which i get half back if i produce tax within 14 days, which i think tbf i have got off very very lightly, as for being covered driving to and from a garage for work you are not covered only to and from mot stations, all in this should end up costing me about £160 with no points, seeing as i got the belts done for a bargain price its pretty much a kick in the teeth.

cant believe where i got stopped, i pulled out of renault turned right ten yards down the road you come to a roundabout and there the copper was with his ampr.. instant OH s**t moment! but one thing to come out of it is the car now has to be on the road in 14 days or it gets seized so i will be driving the clio earlyer than i thought.
lesson learnt

Was the car pre-booked for repairs?
If so then as per what Ben Lee has said, it IS legal not to have mot or tax I beleive based on how the expemptions work.

Check with VOSA to be sure though. dont take someone on a forums word on something so important.

Police towed one of my cars away wrongly, I paid the 400 odd quid bill for transport and storage and promptly got a cheque back off them when I proved they were in the wrong.

Dont go making the mistake of thinking coppers know much about the law, the law is a complicated subject that takes a good education (a levels, law degree, years of practice as a lawyer etc) to understand and most coppers are pretty lacking in this respect, they only get a few weeks training on the law, they arent meant to actually understand it very well, just sort of vaguely get enough of a grasp of it.

So i wouldnt take it lieing down if you were going to a pre-booked appointment and can prove it!

clio 172-?
when i got stopped i had the reciept for the work on the passenger seat in the car. it was booked a month ago lol i had insurance but they said it doesnt matter you can only drive to and from an MOT station. which seems to be a very grey area as people say you can and you cant.
people saying im just lazy you litterally cannot get a recovery cheap here its rediculas, iv been looking at trailors on ebay they arnt exactly cheap, end of the day i really didnt think it would have been a bad thing, failed mot cant get tax so take it to get work done locally to pass the mot all i can do is insure it. think i will look into it properly tbh but first thing im goin to do it produce my insurance and get it on the road so its all done with

PB Clio 172
Ok we live in different parts of the UK but I can get recovery for £35 !

Driving to a pre booked MOT is not a grey area its easy to understand. Like I said we told you what to do and you didn't listen. :dapprove:

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Ok we live in different parts of the UK but I can get recovery for £35 !

Driving to a pre booked MOT is not a grey area its easy to understand. Like I said we told you what to do and you didn't listen. :dapprove:

Look at Ben Lee's posts!

Its not a great area if you look at the actual law, and it reads to me like the thing that isnt grey is that it IS allowed, the copper (like most of us) probably just doesnt realise that.

I really do think the OP should be contacting VOSA about it.

clio 172-?
i know 100% it is legal to drive to and from an mot station, its driving to and from the garage for work thats the problem. and i will be chip ill look into it.

Ph1 172 Sprint Car
An independant, not a company......ask any garage and they will give you the name of a cheap recovery company's. You really think a garage will pay £200 for recovery.........most charge a standard rate/distance then £1 a mile above

clio 172-?
NEWS.
Why you need an MOT certificateIt is generally an offence to use on a public road, a vehicle of testable age that doesn’t have a current test certificate, except when:
  • taking it to a test station for an MOT test booked in advance
  • bringing it away from a test station after it has failed the MOT test, to a place of repair
  • taking it to a place, by previous arrangement, where problems that caused the vehicle to fail its MOT test, can be repaired
  • bringing it away from a place where the problems with the vehicle have been repaired

taken from http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/Mot/DG_4022108
so i was in the right, i have the mot failure paper and reciept for work done and getting my insurance paper tomorrow so will be visiting the police station monday :)

clio 1.2 16v
my mate was driving with no mot or tax and he lost his licence and got a huge fine!!!! best not to risk it but u can drive it to a LOCAL mot station aslong as u have booked in advance so if u do get pulled over by the popo u just need to say that u are going straight to the staion for a test

my mate was driving with no mot or tax and he lost his licence and got a huge fine!!!! best not to risk it but u can drive it to a LOCAL mot station aslong as u have booked in advance so if u do get pulled over by the popo u just need to say that u are going straight to the staion for a test

Doesn't have to be local if you look at the prevous posts in this thread. Aslong as it is booked into a station and you are on your way to it then there is not any problems.

clio 172-?
yeah your ok to drive to any mot station aslong as its booked in, just depends if you can be arsed with the hassle of probably getting pulled up about it. im goin into the station later to produce my insurance iv printed off that screen in my previous post to see what they say about it, hopefully get my fines refunded.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Yep, NO distance limits on this at all.

You can live in cornwall and drive it for an MOT in scotland if you want.