ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

drop/camber plates

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
as per
4149609451_cd9a3af4c9_o.png

The above are a VW set.
How come they aint used much in other formats?

To me they seem a better choice then lower springs as, you gain spacing, a drop and keep OEM spring rates etc?

As above.... never heard of them! How do they work? Bolt to shock top, to raise where they attach, therefore closing arch gap? Or am I missing the point?!

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
The hub is bolted to the end of the rear axel.

Camber shims can be put between to ad camber as per a cup racer, a drop plate fits kinda in the same way. its normally at least 10mm think, you bolt the hub to the upper 4 holes and the rear beam to the upper. The plate can some times be machined so cater for camber.

365768224.jpg

365768165.jpg

Work it out from the pics?

225 meg, clio 172 ex
Not seen a pic before but have heard of them, (only on a vw though)

But My theory of them is are they just a ashthetic option though, because as you say you keep oe spec coil and damp specs, and in a non chav lifestyle the purpose of lowering a car is to achieve a harder/more responsive spec that promotes less roll and more stability.....

And these plates wont offer that, only offer a lower height or different camber angle??!??!? I know camber angle does improve handling before i get shouted at.

Very Happy to be corrected if wrong only a guess really...

:)

Last edited:
  CLIO PH1 172
So all the cornering weight is on that piece of metal ?

I see how it work but surly it's more a show type thing?

E46 M3
Really dont see the point, what do you do about the front? Your still doing to need springs for the front so your going to have harder lower springs at the front and soft oe springs at the rear.

CLIO PH1 172
having another think about it these would be good if you run them with coilovers, every body knows that front coilover go down allot more than the rears, so by running this set up you can achieve more drop without removing the adjusters/ the rubber cup thing and you will be running the harder coilover spring.

were can you get these? or are them custom made? never seen them before?

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
They are no more weight baring then the single strut bolt....

Main plus is that if used with coilovers you dont need to do s**t like remove adjusters so the springs and dampener will work as designed.

While widening the track.

CLIO PH1 172
Main plus is that if used with coilovers you dont need to do s**t like remove adjusters so the springs and dampener will work as designed.

While widening the track.

Yes is what I was thinking, seems a good idea BUT surely there is a fair amount of presure on the middle of the plate as the wheel ect is suspended from it not to mention the added force from running some camber?

Btw I'm asking question about these as I would be VERY interested in running a pair !

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
They dont need to be made with camber, In turn making them stronger. There is much more areas of the chassis that bare weight but seem much weaker. I could make theses out of 20mm Hardox, so that the rear track is widened by 40mm Of un-rotational weight.

If you think about the strut tower thats basically sheet metal and bears the weight of the front of the car and engine fine.

Im hoping the clio hub mounts in a square so I can design one with a 6 bolt configuration. So the drop would be about 45mm

Forgot I posted in this lastnight... That pic does clear it up a lot, honestly couldn't work out where they went!! :)

Re: Cornering weight, I would also express slight concern, but only on the basis that you are effectively adding another point of failure as it may be... Would adding the plate in not act as a "lever" of sorts? Thus increasing stress? But then as you have said, it may well still be more than strong enough to support it, I am less than clued up on these things juts making an observation lol!

CLIO PH1 172
A lever! That is how I was thinking of it tbh. If these can be made strong enough and were tested ect I would be very interested in some!