ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dropping a £1 coin down the oil fill

Austin-182

ClioSport Club Member
Dont worry ive not done this lol! But ive allways wondered what would actually happen if you droped something small down it, eg £1 coin, screw etc
What damage would be done exactly?

ClioSport 172 Cup
It could get jammed under a cam lobe and then the timing belt would slip. I think thats what would happen.

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Alot of damage, it would need to be fished out. I heard pouring 25kg of shotblasting sand in there will port and flow your head though, saving vast amounts of cash on headwork.

ITB'd MK1
Alot of damage, it would need to be fished out. I heard pouring 25kg of shotblasting sand in there will port and flow your head though, saving vast amounts of cash on headwork.

NO!!! you're doing it wrong, the sand need to go in through the throttle body. duhhhh

53 Clio's & counting
I can tell you what would happen, you would be £1 less richer - just think of all those penny sweets you could have bought with that £1 :(

Good times, good times

ITB'd MK1
That's where I was going wrong. Do you need to rev it hard whilst pouring?

get it bouncing off the limiter (make sure it's warm, dont want to cause any damage) and you'll get a better air velocity into the engine so the sand can act to it's full potential

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
get it bouncing off the limiter (make sure it's warm, dont want to cause any damage) and you'll get a better air velocity into the engine so the sand can act to it's full potential

Oh I forgot about the heat, with it being so hot the sand will silliconize thus protecting the engine aswell, silly me.

I remember the thread about a bloke stopping at a service station and mistaking NOS energy drink for a fuel additive ... that was a good read

If anyone wants to make a youtube video of a running engine with a £1 dropped in could be interesting :)

53 Clio's & counting
My last classic mini had a pretty good build, made 86bhp atf from 1016cc - bear in mind standard 998cc minis have 38bhp - anyway i nailed it through 1st and 2nd and as i hit 9000rpm in 2nd i had a massive jolt and missfire.

thought id blown it, turned out a rocker nut had worked loose and popped off! as it was a mini i carried tools with me, so i had my ratchet and feeler gauges so i refitted it and gapped them all - how that nut didnt get stuck in something il never know

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
My last classic mini had a pretty good build, made 86bhp atf from 1016cc - bear in mind standard 998cc minis have 38bhp - anyway i nailed it through 1st and 2nd and as i hit 9000rpm in 2nd i had a massive jolt and missfire.

thought id blown it, turned out a rocker nut had worked loose and popped off! as it was a mini i carried tools with me, so i had my ratchet and feeler gauges so i refitted it and gapped them all - how that nut didnt get stuck in something il never know

I love minis so much.

Evo 5 RS
LOL at the Mustang forum!

Are all the sand blasting cracks aimed at that old Honda thread? I still reckon that one was a joke. lol

SEAT Ibiza SC FR

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1315642306.878038.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1315642306.878038.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 53