ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

dropping clutch - revs go up

172 ff
im not sure if its just me not being used to the 172 yet (had it two weeks now) but if moving alone in slow moving traffic - when i dip the clutch the revs go up a notch, even after taking foot of gas.
I dont remember my 182 feeling like this, is there something potentially wrong here or am i just not used to it?
one thing ive noticed is that the biting point is fairly high on the pedal i know my last one wasnt like this, can this be adjusted?

Bumder With A Buffer
Pretty sure my old MK1 Valver used to do this as well so must be somethin gto do with how the engine/clutch is set up maybe?

Milltek'd 182
mine does it. clutch has about 2 inches of bite right at the top too....want to know how to adjust it!!!

Valver
I think the reason behind this is either your foot is very slightly still on the 'gas' when you dip the clutch or your accel. cable is sticking slightly so there is a delay between taking your foot off the pedal and the throttle cable releasing completely. Hence when you dip the clutch the throttle is still slightly open leading to it revving.

I had this problem in my valver but the cable was sticking quite badly, in the end it snapped at the pedal end and when I removed it the cable was totally shagged!

If its the same problem on your car you could try just dripping some oil down the throttle cable to lube it? Or lift your foot off the 'gas' earlier :p

Iceberg 172
I think its because the throttle is electronic not pure cable like ph1 172? It is pretty lazy at revving so i've noticed lag on mine when lifting the pedal. If you rev and then lift off when in neutral does it ease off the revs smoothly or drop sharply as you lift the pedal? I assume it eases off smoothly even after you've lifted the pedal. The same thing is happening when you drop the clutch. You get used to it though. Mine never really does it on gear changes anymore but i think thats down to getting used to the pedals and shift.

172 ff
yeah it drops smoothly and in time not sharp. this is fine and the revs keep up when changing up gears but as i say, its a pain when moving at slow speeds and then dropping the clutch, the engine revs up slightly, exaggerated by the exhaust; its making me sound like i can drive! lol

Iceberg 172
yeah i know what u mean. I had that trouble at first too. You'll soon find yourself adapting your style so that it doesnt happen. I didnt really make a conscious change to my technique so I cant be of much help with how to solve it :approve:

I imagine its just easing the clutch down slower at low speeds so that it doesnt catch the roll off from the throttle.

172 ff
is it designed to do that? i know there is some sort of custom exhaust on it, which im not too keen on personally would that have an effect?