ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DSLR Buying Guide

Monaco 172
Hey guys,

After some advice really, I'm out in KL at the moment and the DSLRs are dirt cheap here so I'm looking to get one with the last of my spending money and was wondering what you would recommend as a good DLSR for a noobie.

The ones I'm looking at are the Canon 1100D and 550D and also the Nikon D3100 and D5100. The budget is basically the cheaper the better. I have played on the 1100 and 3100 and preferred the layout of the Canon but have read reviews on the Nikon but it looks a little less user friendly.

Recommendations/Reviews?

Clio 182 Trophy
If you are new to dslr's the only advise I will give you is decide on two or three you like then go into a camera shop and hold them in your hands then decide. Thats how I ended up with a D90 and not a cannon.

RS6 C7
I want to take "Decent" pictures, Nothing like Dan freeman but i want something to play around with and hopefully get some ok shots. I have very little experience with camera's and have only really ever had basic camera's and an iphone 4s :clown: , Now do i need a dslr or should i get something else? I want something fairly easy to use but also i want to be learning all the time. What's a good dslr to start with for a complete beginner?

What's your budget? An entry level SLR would be food if you can get one. I'm sure they have a 'beginner mode', but you can always ditch that and experiment with the manual controls too, so you can learn that way.
Anything Nikon or Canon is good.
And you don't need a super expensive camera to take awesome photos, an entry level SLR is more than capable of taking VERY nice photos.

Audi A3
when buying a dslr, i see ones selling as "body only", should i avoid these and get the ones with lenses?

I am looking in to getting a camera soon and im a complete beginner when it comes to this game. I am getting quite interested in learning about taking some decent photos, and with a trip to New York coming up I think I should get something sooner rather than later. I was out looking at cameras at the weekend and an Olympus salesman was pushing an Olympus Pen Mini, which has been reduced to £219. This is about the extent of my budget at the minute, plus I dont want to spend more than that on a camera to start out with.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this camera, or others for around that budget?

Cheers

RS6 C7
I ended up getting a nikon D3100 , Really liking it and slowly getting to know some of the features.

Glad i spent the extra and went for a DSLR.

riz

ClioSport Club Member
  Jaguar XFR
I am looking in to getting a camera soon and im a complete beginner when it comes to this game. I am getting quite interested in learning about taking some decent photos, and with a trip to New York coming up I think I should get something sooner rather than later. I was out looking at cameras at the weekend and an Olympus salesman was pushing an Olympus Pen Mini, which has been reduced to £219. This is about the extent of my budget at the minute, plus I dont want to spend more than that on a camera to start out with.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this camera, or others for around that budget?

Cheers

I have just bought the Fuji X10 as a partner for my DSLR. Really good camera

d7000 new since that guide was written (last year i think) just upgraded my aging D50 which has served well and things have moved on alot .

also treated myself to the fabled 70-200 f2.8 (nikon) and the combo is amazing .

buying from the US saves a heaps so if you have a trip planned or know someone who does

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Alright peeps looking to get my first DSLR camera for sub £300 any recommadtions, found this one here http://www.jessops.com/online.store...-camera-with-18-55mm-vr-lens--78032/show.html

Go and have a look at a few makes, find what you like the feel of, how it works etc and then I'd buy something second hand.
Not sure on Nikon's personally but I'm pretty sure you'll pick up a decent second hand Canon for that price. I think my mate picked up a 40d with kit lens, battery grip and a few cards for £250 ish so there are bargains to be had.

G51 BEN
Guys, the age old question of wanting to buy a DSLR but not knowing what to get.
Budget of around £400, looking at maybe a Canon 600D? My dad has one and it is great but i'm not really clued up on my camera knowledge. I am wanting to start taking some better pictures and don't know what I can get for that kind of money. Obviously looking at either a Canon or a Nikon though....

My missus got a 600D in January.
We shared a 550D for 2 years prior, which has become my main camera now.
600D is a great thing, so easy to use, plenty of good features.
The 550D is pushing 2 years old now and has been very reliable even with hard use travelling the world.
Would expect the 600D to be just as reliable.
Good buy for the money IMO.

G51 BEN
Yeah I was looking at the 600D or the Nikon D5100. Whichever one I pick i'm sure there will always be people to tell me that the other one is better etc etc. I suppose I just need to play around with a few

Yep, just go to PC World or similar where they're out on display and try both.
They'll be about equal to be honest and you will be happy with either.
It depends on which you find better/easier to hold/use to be honest.

Yanoo

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio Williams
I'd say that buy a second hand 650D at the price level of a new 600D if you can. I've got a 650D, the multipoint touchscreen is simply amazing, I love it.

G51 BEN
Most other settings are pretty identical though aren't they? And in all honesty if im spending that amount on a camera (not much in DSLR terms I know), I want to have that piece of mind that I have bought it from a reputable seller

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
The second hand market is brilliant, you just have to be patient and wade through the idiots.

For example, I was looking on gumtree for my camera as the occasional bargain comes up, found a genuine seller but someone had got there first. Dealt with two idiots, you can tell straight away, until finally I found a real bargain from a genuine guy.

I picked up a 550D with kit lens, 50mm lens,lowe pro bag, only shot 2500 times, all original box, even original receipts from jessops, for under £300.

It was a guy who'd bought it to take photos of his kids when they were born and as they've grown up he realised a compact would be far better to carry around.

G51 BEN
I am upping my budget now to £800 but this hasn't produced a clear winner for me!! Okay, the Nikon D5200 has become available but I really don't think I would benefit from the higher MP as I am not planning on printing large pictures. Also the Canon 650D is in the price range but I don't know how much I would use the touchscreen, and the pic quality is slightly worse than the 600D.

Should I stick at looking at the Nikon D5100 and the Canon 600D and just invest in some decent lenses? Or should I be looking at their successors?

Help!! This is really plaguing me now!!

I'd say there aren't huge differences between the bodies (e.g. 600D vs 650D) to pay more for the newer version.
I'd say the bigger difference will come from lenses.
I'd buy a 600D, get some cash spent on lenses and go from there.

jonno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T6
Anyone got a good update regarding entry/ mid DLSRS?
Gonna think of getting one soon. Been told you're either a Nikon or Canon?
I'd be tempted for an EOS but happy to be persuaded.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Probably this if you wanted new and Canon. Gives money left over for bag etc.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/camera...-f-3-5-5-6-is-stm-zoom-lens-10119553-pdt.html

The best thing to do though is go to a shop and have a play with a few. I hated the layout of the Nikon so I went for Canon and have stuck with it ever since whilst upgrading lenses and then bodies.

Dont discount Sony either but they might just be out of your price range. If I was starting out knowing what I know now, they would be a serious contender.

And do you definitely want a Dslr?

Swift Sport
I actually downgraded from a DSLR and bought a good bridge camera, and I've never looked back.
Don't get me wrong there are loads of limitations with a bridge camera, but unless you're proper serious about photography they're actually pretty awesome.

I'm about to buy a bridge camera too, but keep my 600D. I've been rubbish at taking photos compared to previous years, mostly as I can't be arsed carting the DSLR and associated lenses about when I'm not out specifically to take photos. I'm hoping the bridge can be taken anywhere and encourage me to take more photos. As they say, the best camera is the one you have with you!

DSLR wise though I agree with the suggestions posted. I took the plunge about 5 years ago and have really enjoyed it ever since!

jonno_c

ClioSport Club Member
  VW T6
Probably this if you wanted new and Canon. Gives money left over for bag etc.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/camera...-f-3-5-5-6-is-stm-zoom-lens-10119553-pdt.html

The best thing to do though is go to a shop and have a play with a few. I hated the layout of the Nikon so I went for Canon and have stuck with it ever since whilst upgrading lenses and then bodies.

Dont discount Sony either but they might just be out of your price range. If I was starting out knowing what I know now, they would be a serious contender.

And do you definitely want a Dslr?
I think a DSLR would be great as I'm thinking of some wildlife photography as well as the new bubba coming ASAP.
The wifi looks great on that EOS.
Not looked at bridge cameras? I'm guessing they can be cheaper, less bulky?
This camera will be a business buy so I'd rather push the boat out a bit to get a good one.

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
hi folks,
£1000 budget, body only.
Will be used with a 50mm lense for detailed photos of materials so I'm after the best resolution/detail as possible for that budget.
video capabilities would be a bonus but not essential.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
hi folks,
£1000 budget, body only.
Will be used with a 50mm lense for detailed photos of materials so I'm after the best resolution/detail as possible for that budget.
video capabilities would be a bonus but not essential.
How close are you expecting the 50mm lens to focus from? If it's for high details, might be worth a macro lens, can work closer, so maybe a 100mm lens?

Look at the Canon 760d
https://www.wexphotovideo.com/canon...gEMekY5OpK8FmONYhVEOD-O3n1NZazcxoCPigQAvD_BwE

Sigma 105
https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sigma-105mm-f28-macro-ex-dg-os-hsm-canon-fit-1524157/

Canon 50mm 1.8 - not the sharpest lens tho.
https://www.wexphotovideo.com/canon-ef-50mm-f18-stm-lens-1572990/

botfch

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182
How close are you expecting the 50mm lens to focus from? If it's for high details, might be worth a macro lens, can work closer, so maybe a 100mm lens?

Look at the Canon 760d
https://www.wexphotovideo.com/canon...gEMekY5OpK8FmONYhVEOD-O3n1NZazcxoCPigQAvD_BwE

Sigma 105
https://www.wexphotovideo.com/sigma-105mm-f28-macro-ex-dg-os-hsm-canon-fit-1524157/

Canon 50mm 1.8 - not the sharpest lens tho.
https://www.wexphotovideo.com/canon-ef-50mm-f18-stm-lens-1572990/

Very roughly 300cm to about a 1m distance so not mega close. Can’t get much closer otherwise the program I use gets confused.

Just to clarify it’s £1000 for the camera and I have a spare £500 for a lense so £1500 all in.