ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DSLR GPS Units

Anyone have experience of these? Got a few quid in my Paypal so was considering the official GP-1 add on for my D90. As we're covering several thousand miles this Summer I thought it would be cool to have a map with every photo, presumably it will automatically geotag on Flickr as well.

Battery life isn't really an issue as I can charge every night and have a grip anyhow. Bit worried that it takes a little while to lock-on though, as I tend to shoot very fast.

Seems an extravagence, but will sell when I return anyway so should't lose much/anything if I buy second-hand.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I love the location photo map on the new iPhone!

Random I know, but I'm very impressed, all of my old iPhone's memory and the places I've been/photo'd on a map.

Cupra
A cheaper option is to use an iphone app to record your movements and then a program on your PC which can automatically add the GPS data to the photos on your return. It works using the time stamp from the exif and GPS.

The software costs around £50 IIRC. I saw a thread on POTN about it a while ago but cannot find it now.

Interesting, will have a look around for that. When Revels mentioned the iPhone I did wonder if some sort of tech exists to tie them together.

Will have to work out what's cheaper, as hopefully buying a second-hand GP-1 then selling it after might be a near cost-free option.

Cupra
Found some info for you.

You can use "Motion-X GPS" on the iphone to record your route, then this free software to sync the GPS info with the images.

Buying second hand and selling it on afterwards might be the simplest way to do it though!