ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DSLR Help - Nikon or Canon? Video feature?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
im getting mega itchy about getting a new dslr camera, ive currently got a nikon d60. i love my d60 and have owned it about about 2-3 years, but i think its time to move on.

i really want a dslr with video feature and im leaning towards 60fps. from google i believe no nikon doesnt do 60fps at the moment?

i recently used a friends canon 600 and really liked it, heres my d60 next to a friends canon

mine

Image00004.jpg

canon

Image00008.jpg

i need help on camera choice i really dont know what to do. buget wise the plan would be to sell my d60 and im due a phone upgrade so i plan to sell that to fund a new one. so i could have something like 500odd to play with

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
My only suggestion would be to consider your kit .. if I were to swap from C to N, I'd have a lot of kit to sell/replace which would be a PITA for me !

If I upgraded from C to C, I'd still be able to use my other lenses etc on the new body, if you see what I mean.

If all you've got is a body/kit lens, then you can sell that easily on here/eBay, then go to Jessops/A.N.Other camera shop, and try some out, check your budget and but what you want !

2004 1.5 DCi 80 Dyna
As said above, swapping brands can be a pain in the arse when considering new products as everything you have already wont work with your new set up.

If however you are minted, I would suggest a Canon 7D, that is what most new 'arty' documentaries are filmed on, they have 60fps and you can get some good footage with them.

They do however cost a bomb compared to your D60. I think most Nikon video SLR's are limited to short video clips, it would be worth checking www.dpreview.com to see all the specs of each camera before you buy, not worth getting an expensive Nikon if you can only film 5min HD segments!

My mates band was filmed on a 7D...

Why not get a dedicated video camera?

Last edited by a moderator:
Most 'arty' documentaries are filmed on a 5D for the full frame ;)

But yeah 7D does spectacular slow motion. I've got a 7D and I've never switched it into video mode once

I'd say just get a dedicated HD camcorder - because the 7D is £1100 and that's without any lenses!!

330ci, 850R, eunos
I'd agree with Phil, I don't know Nikon too well (Canon 20D user for a few years, 300D before that) but unless your D60 is lacking in anyway, I'd maybe look at buying a standalone HD camcorder, and spend the money saved on better lenses for the D60 (if you need them).

The two shots you posted, I've not looked at exif data (if there is any), but unless they were shot at same aperture/shutter/iso, in same light and same lens, then it doesn't tell the whole story.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
all points noted, thanks.

my current kit is nikon d60, 18-55mm standard nikon lens, 55-200mm sigma lens, sb-600 flash.

it would be a shame/pain to replace the lot but it just seems canon is slightly better than nikon. im really no expert when it comes to DSLR cameras, but canon does seem to be slightly ahead.

ive been looking at a canon 600d which does HD vids at 50 FPS, subject to what kit you buy its around £600.

what are peoples thoughts on the 600d for an none pro person?

Well the 500D I use has been great fun. No idea how that compares to the 600D, and what extra features you get.

I've never used the HD on mine, I but suppose it's nice to have.

Maybe look through Flickr and Youtube at results given by this camera?

T3i is the American version, you will see a lot of ebay sellers selling these as they import them for cheap. No real difference apart from the branding.

dk

911 GTS Cab
600D is meant to be one of the best for video right now, external mic is great and AF during filming is a must.

http://www.youtube.com/user/ItsDanielDuane#p/u/14/jfDYp0rBFFE

Not it's not, you DO NOT want to use AF during filming, it makes a hell of a racket and causes the image to shift backwards and forwards until it focus's, plus you have to press a button to activate it, it's not like video on a compact or a video camera where it focuses on the fly.

I believe the 7d is still supposed to be the best for video at the moment.

Video on dslrs is not for the casual amateur, it's for short arty pieces with the use of a tripod, time, patience and lots of ost processing!

dk

911 GTS Cab
Sorry Sir. Just going on my experiances of using the 600D!

So you've used the autofocus while shooting video on it?

It's the same as the 7d which I have and it's terrible, takes ages, makes loads of noise, it just has to be manual focus at the moment.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Problem is, you can't use quick focus, it defaults to live view focus while shooting which is dog slow and goes searching before it focus's, it really is terrible.

Vids on YouTube confirm it's the same as the other cameras, like the 60d and the 7d.

the slow mo looks amazing

That video is faked by software - it can only do 24fps or 50fps which is half speed
Anything slower is using some of the software on the market at the moment that creates inbetween frames to slow it further

Not it's not, you DO NOT want to use AF during filming, it makes a hell of a racket and causes the image to shift backwards and forwards until it focus's, plus you have to press a button to activate it, it's not like video on a compact or a video camera where it focuses on the fly.

I believe the 7d is still supposed to be the best for video at the moment.

Video on dslrs is not for the casual amateur, it's for short arty pieces with the use of a tripod, time, patience and lots of ost processing!

THIS!!
AF is useless for video - it's too slow and will focus past an object then back again to get the right focus. Manual is the way forward
Noise isn't really an issue if you use an external mic

7D is the best - don't know where people get the 700D from
But again it's down to personal use - the 7D is good for slow-mo action stuff but because it's a crop camera its s**t in confined spaces
5D MKII is the daddy for video as far as I'm concerned because it's full frame and has very little noise issues so you don't have to worry about light and space. But because it's a single processor it doesn't do slow motion

There will no doubt be 5D MKIII at some point with the dual processor

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
yeah i gathered software was used to make it look that good.

any ideas on what software people use?