ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DTM Support Race - Brands Indy

Turbos.
So, the DTM were back in town again this year to kindly support my race. Its always nice to have a crowd at an event, makes a difference from the handful that normally show up! It does mean the weekend is a long one, despite limited running.

The big news was that we were running our new engine, a 2.3 Duratec. The question would be, given the time constraints, have the team delivered a a reliable package? Time in the car was limited, the first proper drive i would get of the 'new' car would be in qualifying! However, my dad and i are getting used to that format, and our testing revolves around trying to get on the pace as quickly as possible.

When you are qualifying at Brands with almost 40 cars it can be tricky to get a clear lap, as i found out! I kept trying to give myself space, but kept catching up a pack of Production cars each time! It was bloody frustrating, and i set a lap slower than last year, putting me (and dad) 3rd on the grid behind a Europa and S1 Exige.

DTM_BRANDS_HATCH_2012-1351.jpg

The engine change meant a slight increase, but it also meant the weight was further forward and lower, thanks to a new dry sump. Surprisingly, the car did feel different and in qualifying understeer was a problem. However, considering the next session was the race, we decided to leave it as is, especially as rain was on the cards.

I opted to start the race, as it meant my (bigger!) dad's harness would need to be simply loosened rather than tightened come the driver change, which is a lot less effort. He'd also freely admit he is a bit of a hot head, so probably best i was in the car first!

For the first time, i started a race without higher power cars bombing past me. In fact (another first!), i managed to sneak past 2nd place by paddock and set off in pursuit of the Europa.

DTM_BRANDS_HATCH-3581.jpg

DTM_BRANDS_HATCH-3583.jpg

However, in under a lap i regretted not changing the setup. It was bone dry and the understeer / cold tyres combo meant i went wide at Clearways and left an inviting gap for the Exige to regain 2nd place. Going onto the marbles also meant i had another Exige now breathing down my neck!

DTM_BRANDS_HATCH-4970.jpg

After a few laps, the Exige behind me was being hassled by the 2-11s, so i could focus on attacking again. I slowly caught up, bit by bit, especially through Paddock and under braking at Druids.

DTM_BRANDS_HATCH-5054.jpg

The three of us were in a close pack until the Europa suddenly broke down at Clearways, me and the Exige driver having to dive either side to avoid mass pile up! It was then down to how we could both deal with the traffic as we caught the backmarkers.

DTM_BRANDS_HATCH-5052.jpg

DTM_BRANDS_HATCH-3679.jpg

A safety car brought a brief respite to the action, but as the green flag dropped again, i had a Clio Cup driver in an S2 Exige hassling me as the pack had bunched up! After a few laps though, myself and the Exige were back to our dice.

DTM_BRANDS_HATCH-5006.jpg

Then, the move finally happened. After getting a good run from Clearways, Adrian in the Exige took a defensive line at Paddock which compromised his line. I knew i was braking far later for Druids, so with him leaving a slight gap, i went for it. After wincing as we both locked up, i made the move stick and came away unscathed (this is the same guy that took me off at Silverstone quali BTW!)

DTM_BRANDS_HATCH-3697.jpg

I managed to put some back markers between us and after a few also managed to pull a few seconds.

DTM_BRANDS_HATCH-5086.jpg

DTM_BRANDS_HATCH-3583.jpg

DTM_BRANDS_HATCH-3763.jpg

The Exige pitted before us, and my dad rejoined the track with a lead of about 5 seconds after our swap.

DTM_BRANDS_HATCH-3810.jpg

We knew it would be a very tight finish. Adrian in the Exige was obviously fired up, whereas my dad was in his first race for 7 months! After a handful of laps, we were on the defensive. Eventually my dad lost the lead in exactly the same way i did on the first lap; if i only could have warned him!

DTM_BRANDS_HATCH-5120.jpg

And then, before a fightback could be considered, the red flag was dropped. The Exige driven by the Clio guy had spun and was beached at Clearways, in a dangerous position. My dad came back disappointed, but i was personally glad we were on the podium considering the old man was a bit rusty!

DTM_BRANDS_HATCH-3960.jpg

My dad took his frustration out on the podium

DTM_BRANDS_HATCH-3945.jpg

DTM_BRANDS_HATCH-3911.jpg

We're now looking forward to Castle Combe in a month's time. The Duratec wasn't making anywhere near its potential due to the old airbox setup suited to the K-Series. The exhaust is also restrictive at the moment, our straightline speed was barely better than with the little 1.9 Rover engine. Then there's the setup, which easily cost half a second. We hope this will all be sorted for the next race, so i can show everyone what it can really do!

Thanks to Nick for the photos, think you'll agree they are excellent as ever.

Well done :) Great result and sounds like plenty of time still to come which will be comforting! Love the fact your dad is blasting the winner with champs lol! The car looks awesome as ever and really nice write up, Thanks for sharing :)

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
Great write up as ever! Will definately come say hello at Combe, what date is it?

172 Race Car
Well done mate, great result. was waiting for the report and purposely avoided the results.

BTW I really like this shot, looks like he was led down at the exit of Druids

DTM_BRANDS_HATCH-5054.jpg

Turbos.
Thanks guys. Also loved that photo, as it shows off the new rear lights with a direct comparison of the old ones! It is a cool angle, get a good impression of the topology there.

Renaultsport 220T
Well done Roberto. Think it might have been that pre-race cheeseburger that prevented the win. ;)

DCi 100
The amount of lotus' crammed in the paddock still amazes me. Unfortunately I didn't catch any of your races but nice to see the car when passing.

Cracking read again and well done on the podium :)

Also photo's are great. Is that Nick as in Dunganick on here?

Edit: Just found his DTM shots so I assume yes! Thought they had an air of his style about them.

Turbos.
Have to say, watched a bit of the DTM race and it was just a procession. I suppose it is an experience to see cars that quick, but just about every other race that weekend was more entertaining.

Dirty burgers are the choice of champions Steve!

Oil Burner
Great write up Rob. And a superb result considering the lack of testing in the car. Looking forward to see what you can do with it after some development!