ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DVD Decrypter - PLEASE HELP!

Mito Sportiva 135
Downloaded this program after recommendation from someone on here. This was with the intention of first ripping films onto my PC, then using another piece of software converting it the ripped files to MP4 so I can watch it on my iPod.

Now, just ripped all the files onto my PC. There seems to be loads of files in the folder I ripped it all too - some files which have the same icon as a DVD (a VOB file apparently), some IFO files, some BUP files (never heard of them before!) and then a playlist file. However when I try to watch and of the files that look like DVDs, but for each one I open it says "Error Code xxxxxx, Cannot read file" - and I can't use the IFO or BUP files as they aren't executable files.

Anyone know what the matter is? Please help as I REALLY want to do this and just baffled as to what the problem is?

Thanks a bunch!
Tom.

Cupra
If you are using Nero, you can just add the folder containing all those files and it will take what it needs to recode to MP4. Otherwise, use DVD decrypter to rip and ISO. It will remove any copy protection that you might have put on your DVD in the first place ;) and then you can mount the ISO to recode to something else.

Doom9.org has loads of useful info.

R26
Its the mode you have it set it at

Open it up and go to Mode > ISO > Read

I use the ISO mode then it rips it into a single file which you can then burn to a DVD with nero or whatever

172 ph1
You could use AGK (Auto Gourdian Knot - £free) to convert those files into a divx or xvid file. It allows you to change the quality to get the file size down, which is good for mobile devices.

What file types will your ipod play?

Mito Sportiva 135
Thanks for all your help guys!

I might try using that new program then...

The files used on iPod are MP4s as far as I know. All I want to do is rip a couple of episodes of Afro Samurai on there so I can watch them on the go, then obviously can apply the same principle to other DVDs down the line!

So would people say I should ditch DVD Encrypter and get something better then? It took AGEs to rip all the files. Do I need to change my settings then, and what am I supposed to do with the ISO files as it just asks me what program to open them with and I have no idea!

Cheers! :D

Mito Sportiva 135
What is better than DVD Decryper then? All I want to do is get films onto my iPod, in a process that is as simple as possible, getting it compressed to a decent file size, say no more than a gig of memory.

Keep the ideas coming please!!!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
DVD Decrypter works fine for me.

Ripped all my boxsets of 24 to hard disk now (about 12GB per season as Divx).

It doesn't sound like you're even having trouble with that program though, you need something to turn the .VOBs into .MP4s.

Try AutoGK (think that's its name). It has a lot of profiles to write with different codecs, I used it for Divx, but there's a big list of settings so one is probably quicktime.

Mito Sportiva 135

Might give this a pop if DVD Encrypter doesn't work for me. Cheers dude.

DVD Decrypter works fine for me.

Ripped all my boxsets of 24 to hard disk now (about 12GB per season as Divx).

It doesn't sound like you're even having trouble with that program though, you need something to turn the .VOBs into .MP4s.

Try AutoGK (think that's its name). It has a lot of profiles to write with different codecs, I used it for Divx, but there's a big list of settings so one is probably quicktime.

Is it the VOB files I am definitely meant to be converting then? Surely I should be able to watch the VOB files by themself, can you? When I click on them it goes to the DVD software menu, but then brings up the Error message I reported earlier in the thread. I tried converting this file to MP4 anyway, but once it has converted and try to play it, it says that Quicktime cannot understand this file? :dapprove: Any suggestions, did you change any setting on DVD Decrypter at all pre or post rippage?

R26
Just delete what you have and start again mate

I think you can just use the DVD directly with that guide

The vob files are the movie files and should play with the VLC or PowerDVD

Mito Sportiva 135
Just delete what you have and start again mate

I think you can just use the DVD directly with that guide

The vob files are the movie files and should play with the VLC or PowerDVD

Sorry to be a bit thick, which guide do you mean?

And as for the VOB files, thats my issue, they won't play! I am using PowerDVD too...?

Mito Sportiva 135
  BMW M4; S1000 RR
Is it the VOB files I am definitely meant to be converting then? Surely I should be able to watch the VOB files by themself, can you? When I click on them it goes to the DVD software menu, but then brings up the Error message I reported earlier in the thread. I tried converting this file to MP4 anyway, but once it has converted and try to play it, it says that Quicktime cannot understand this file? :dapprove: Any suggestions, did you change any setting on DVD Decrypter at all pre or post rippage?

Yep. VOBs are data files not movie files, you can't watch them on the PC without special tools (easily available, but nothing you'll have as standard will do it).

There's almost no settings you need to worry about on DVD decrypter. That just does what it does, rather well too. It'll be whatever you're using to convert that's not doing it right, although could be just a mixup of codecs with Quicktime.(Heap of crap imo).

Mito Sportiva 135

Yep. VOBs are data files not movie files, you can't watch them on the PC without special tools (easily available, but nothing you'll have as standard will do it).

There's almost no settings you need to worry about on DVD decrypter. That just does what it does, rather well too. It'll be whatever you're using to convert that's not doing it right, although could be just a mixup of codecs with Quicktime.(Heap of crap imo).

I am just going to try this Handbrake program that has been recommended to me first, otherwise will revert to the DVD Decrypter program. If I can't watch the VOB files though, which files could I watch from here, as not much point ripping files I can't watch?!? Must need a codec pack like you mentioned I guess?

Anyway, will have a stab at Handbrake and let you know how it goes! Ta!

Mito Sportiva 135
:mad: The disc must be protected or something...so need to unprtect it I guess! Is this easy to do, and if so, how do I do this?!?

If its complicated I will leave it and speak to Jacko later on after his kind offer for some help!

R26
You need to rip it using either DVD Decryptor or ImgBurn as previously suggested then to get it into an ISO

Then mount that ISO with deamons tools and try the guide again that way

If you know what i mean lol

Mito Sportiva 135
I am starting to get a bit confused now I have to admit! I am ok on computers but all this file conversion stuff is a bit complicated.

If someone could please just list which programs to use and which settings to apply to get a DVD ripped onto my PC, then converted to MP4 format, that would be excellent, I am not sure what the best course of action is and not sure which programs are best for working in conjunection with each other. So far I have downloaded DVD Decrypter, Videora iPod Nano Converter (to convert files to MP4) and Handbrake.

As straightforward and simple guide as possible would be grand!!!

Jacko - could I try converting one of the ISO files I already have created from DVD Decrypter using Handbrake? (although as Afro Samurai is episodic there are a few ISO files in the folder I created)

Mito Sportiva 135
Ha yeah but there is LOADs of information on there and quite simply don't have the time to trawl through loads of pages, loads of which seems to be out of date, even that guide Jacko highlighted seems out of date for the current version of Handbrake.

Anyway, I am encoding SOMETHING at the moment through Handbrake, will see what it makes me!!

Mito Sportiva 135
Just finished encoding (or decoding?!) and its created an "MKV" file...what the hell is an MKV file?!?

Uh this is really annoying me now...:(

Mito Sportiva 135
Got your PM, nice one!

Right, now I should probably do some more revision for my finals rather than worry about getting movies onto my iPod....

I'll be on MSN from about 7 onwards Jacko anyway, as I said in the PM, if thats any good?