ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DVD screen playing up.

1.6 focus zetec....
Driving to work this morning and all of a sudden the screen just went black, closed up and wouldnt come back on again. I took the headunit out at dinner and checked all the connections behind there but still no joy.

Checked a little fuse behind the headunit and that was fine... There was another one... slightly bigger but I couldn't pull it out the connection it was in.

I also read in the instructions manual that a speaker shorting could cause the headunit not to come on... true?

I've also installed a sub 2 weeks ago so could that have anything to do with it??

All suggestions appreciated before i have to pay bass junkies to have a look...

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
have you checked the fuse in the fusebox??

try perhaps the headunit in another car,
assuming thats got no speakers shorting, may help narrow your problem down,

also, if its in the manual, id take it as true lol,
but a sub is not on a speaker wire from the headunit,

if the sub was shorting, it would cause the sub's amp to act irratically,
so i dont think its that,

low voltage would make it turn off, use a multi meter on the power leads to the headunit, maybe,

all i can think of,

vaux cavalier
Sounds to me like its the IGN live fuse thats gone mate, any other fuse and the unit would stay as is, (screen out displaying nothing), not act as though you've turned the IGN off...

1.6 focus zetec....
Sounds to me like its the IGN live fuse thats gone mate, any other fuse and the unit would stay as is, (screen out displaying nothing), not act as though you've turned the IGN off...

Explain a bit more please mate?

Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
Have you touched any of the buttons on the front.

They switch the screen into a blank mode like decribed above.

1.6 focus zetec....
Nah not touched anything... Just driving along and sound went, screen went blank and folded in... wont come back out no matter what.

Will the fuse be apart of the head unit then?

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
there will be a fuse for the stereo in the fuse box inside the car somewhere

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172

if all power to the unit went,
it wouldnt close up, because it will have no power to run the motor to retract the screen,

its acting as it has been turned off, (but it still has power)

get a Multi meter and check that you get 12v+ from both the red and yellow wires while the ignition is on,

one is permanent live, (for closing the unit, saving settings, and ejecting CDs whilst the engine is off)

and one is ignition live, power whilst the ignition is on, but turns off with the engine so as not to keep playing music whilst the engine is off, the unit turns off when it stops recieving 12v from THIS feed,

so if a fuse has gone, or the wires perished, for the IGNITION live, the unit will just think the ignition is off, and turn off as if youd taken your key out,

hope this helps,
sorry i cant remember which of the red and yellow wires is perm, and which is ignition,

vaux cavalier

In the fuse box there will be two fuses covering the stock radio loom, the fuse covering the IGN live in most cases is a lower rating than the fuse covering the PERM live....In the case where you switch these feeds to facilitate the memory function its quite common for these fuses to blow and produce the symptoms your describing, (working fine, then switching off as though you've turned the IGN off)....