ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

DVI To HDMI Sound Issue With PC

05 Plate MG ZR 105 Trophy
I Have just got a 47" LG TV for my bedroom lol and have just connected it up to my PC using my GTX 275 and find it hard to get audio... Yes I know DVI is Video only, but I am trying to use a RCA Lead that goes from the back of the sound card into the TV, but can't seem to be able to get any sound through.

I am using XP and understand that there's a hotfix for Vista not XP... I haven't got a 5.1 system and am just wanting to use my TV Speakers lol.

Anybody know a way to get the audio coming of of my TV using DVI to HDMI Lead?...

ValverInBits
The problem you have is that if your using an HDMI input on the TV, the TV will not take a sound input from anywhere else other than the HDMI.

If you used a very low quality Video/left/right phono plug setup then you could do it easy. But that's not the best solution.

Best looking for a cable that will take DVI and a sound source and send both down a single HDMI. Not a common product tho, i've never seen one.

SQ5
I don't think you can get them. We used to get VGA's which has a mini jack tail either side which was quite a cool idea. But never seen a DVI with audio on TBH.

2014 Focus Titanium
The best thing to do is to try and swap your GTX for an equivalent ATi graphics card because the ATi card will pass sound over the HDMI as well as video.

Other than that as Mark One says your TV will only accept sound over HDMI is the audio is from HDMI.

Either that or buy a surround system which has an optical input (pretty much any system will have this) and play your sound through that.

Fiesta Zetec S TDCI
I did this today with my 9600GT and a 32" telly running off DVI->HDMI adapter.

It appears that infact the DVI->HDMI adapters do carry sound (via s/pidf out from mobo into GPU).

Provided your GPU & mobo have a 2pin s/pidf port, your in for the win.

Tell me what your mobo & gpu is (exact model & make) and I'll check if it'll work for you.

P.S. I also have a GTX275 - i'll check if theres a port on there, although it is the Inno3D iChill edition, so it has a wierd board lay-out.
-----------------------------------update----------------------
My card does have the right port. If you bought the GPU yourself, check the packaging for a 2pin-2pin adapter like this:

http://www.national-tech.com/prodimages/spdif-2pin-cable.jpg
or
http://benchmarkreviews.com/images/...-88TES3P-FCP/ZT-88TES3P-FCP_Digital_Audio.jpg
or similar

Last edited:

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
If just thought about it. Your HDMI 1 Should have a 3.5mm jack near it for PC use.

(My LG does) All you need is a 3.5 to 3.5 lead and your sorted.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Its irrelevant, LG's dont have any sound inputs and a box to do it via HDMI would be £300.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Oh yeah, if you can sort it via that way you are laughing.

(Snubbs edited his post)

Sound output wont be any different from using the 3.5 mm method mind you.

Yup. spdif from mobo/sound card into GTX275. I don't know how the adio gets out via DVI through a HDMI adaptor, but it looks like it does.

05 Plate MG ZR 105 Trophy
I have sorted now, just by using my older 2.1 speakers lol. Luckly everything works, but not too sure why Nvidia still use DVI now, when HDMI is the new standard?.