ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Dynamique problems...

I have a 2002 Dynamique 1.2 16 valve and the power steering seems to be very noisy. I dont tend to notice it during normal driving but when doing low speed manouvers such as parking I can hear a strange clicking noise when I turn the wheel.

When starting the car first thing in the morning the revs seem to rise an fall between 500 and 1500 for a few seconds before settling down. One other thing I have noticed is that the car seems to have terrible throttle response and sometimes it is difficult to pull away cleanly without stalling. One time as I was slowing down for some traffic lights with the clutch in the car did actually stall.

So do all the 1.2 16 valve engines from this problem or is there some sort of ecu update available to make the car run better? As it seems to be worse when the car is cold I was wondering if it was because the car is running incredibly lean to cut down on new tougher emission laws?

I have that starting problem. Make sure you wait for all your check lights to go off before starting the car. Id go to renault and moan, but i really cant be bothered.

My steering wheel is pretty noisy too likes. But the only reason i dont care is because I usually have my music up, therefore I dont tend to notice it.

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg

Telford Mike is absolutely spot on.

Renault do have an updated programme to download to your cars ECU to overcome this stalling problem. Take it back to your dealer and insist this upgrade is carried out. ITS free!

bobRTE

H22A7 Accord Type R

i had the oscillation on startup......only a slight up and down revving, but it isnt too bad these days! The only thinig i have noticed lately it when im sitting at a steady speed between 2000 and 3000rpm, the car is very jerky....i may have to drop it in for this update!!??? My steering clicks too.......i told them about it and the greased something.......but a week later it started to creak so i mentioned it again! my advice........live wi it lol. turn the stereo up. renault told me that all the clios with leather wheels do it..........me being a man who hates taking the car to the garage, im just living with it! lol, along with my creaking sunroof....Rob

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg

ECU programming updates.

There is 1 for the 1.2 16v (D4F engine) and 1 for the 1.4 16v (E4J engine)

There are currently no updates for the 2.0 16v because none are required!

Clicking noise when turning the steering is more than likely to be the airbag rotary switch (slip ring) located behind the steering wheel. This is an operational noise and there is no need to worry about it, its just a bit annoying.

Hope that helps

Bob RTE

so....some1 please ?

the update u talk about i collect my car on sat 7th, will it have the updated chip? do all of them have these problems without the update?

Well I have booked my Clio in now for the update but not till the 19th as need it till then. I just said its got the stalling problem, which it has coz sometimes when I come into round abouts it cuts and I bump it back to life!

Hmmmm I wonder if I could get them to tune it at the same time ;)

Clio II 1.4 Priveleg

The ECU update is for earlier vehicles. All new Clios already have the updated software installed at the factory. It is only for the 1.2 & 1.4 16v engines.

It doesnt tune your car to go faster! Just prevents it from stalling - sorry to disappoint!

Ben H - yes I do work on a lot of Renault vehicles! Its my job! LOL Been doing Renaults for 27 years!

Bob RTE

Mainly directed towards "BobRTE", as seems very knowledgable, but also anyone else!! Does the ecu update just increase the tickover of the car? Mine ticksover quietly etc, would the update affect this? In addition, I have had my Clio (1.2 16v 2001) in to renault twice over the engine. When the revs are around 3100, there is a very slight dip in power, sort of slight hesitation before continuing. They are unable to do anything as they can not reproduce the feeling, wondered if you had any ideas etc that I could put to them, or if you had come across anything similar. Are there any probs you know of with this engine that are worth getting looked at etc before the warrenty runs out. Have just done 12000 miles, about to do 2nd oil, filter change, was really dirty at 6000, lots of particals in the oil!

Thanks very much for any advice,

Andrew.

I know the update dont tune the car but would be nice while its on the computer for them to tune it!! :) mine was brought beginning of year so has mine got the latest update?? hope not as it stalls

Ive had my Clio for only 3 weeks or so... how would I know if this update has been applied?

Once or twice, including today, the engine has stalled immediately after starting, and it was still relatively warm from a previous run. Im not concerned because its gone perfectly after that, but it has happened several times.

Also... when I bought the car the dealer said it wouldnt need any kind of servicing for 18000 miles... and Ive specifically looked through the manuals about oil changes but cant find anything... is a 6000 mile change essential? Never had a car before, so I dont know how often these things have to be done!

Neil

Well neil i have done 6500 miles in mine and the oil is getting pritty dark... I will probably do an oil change myself at 8000ish because of the way I drive it 18000 is a long f**king time man

BobRTE,

Got so annoyed with the clicking steering wheel that I took the cover off the steering column which helped me find where the noise is really coming from. It has nothing to do with the steering column but is actually coming from behind the airbag cover. if I push the edge of the airbag cover I can hear the clicking. So is there any way to fix this as I didnt want to mess with the cover for fear of setting off the airbag.

Secondly I have discovered that if I let all the warning lights on the dash go off before starting the car it starts much more cleanly. My guess is that if you start the car straight away while the cat warning light is on the ECU struggles to understand what is going on until the cat warning light goes off and it idles as normal. Matbe talking rubbish but since I have started waiting for the lights to go off it has started cleanly every time.

Corsa 1.3 CDTI

Quote: Originally posted by Rum Tum Tugger on 03 December 2002

Secondly I have discovered that if I let all the warning lights on the dash go off before starting the car it starts much more cleanly. My guess is that if you start the car straight away while the cat warning light is on the ECU struggles to understand what is going on until the cat warning light goes off and it idles as normal. Matbe talking rubbish but since I have started waiting for the lights to go off it has started cleanly every time.
This happens on the 172 as well, there is a bit in the hand book about this saying something about leaving it till the lights go out because of the immobiliser.

I dunno renault and their computers eh..... What happened to the day when the ECUs were perfect from factory????? Now renault bring out a new bloody update every few months.... just shows you we are the testers these days