ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

e-scooters

Hollidog

ClioSport Club Member
It's all or nothing for me. Quite ridiculous that they are outright illegal in the UK, yet ebikes which can happily do 30mph+ without pedalling are not subject to the same rules regarding tax/insurance/mot.

Anecdotally, of all the people I see riding these, the most reckless and out of control of them are always on rentals. It will sound strange if you haven't ridden one, but they don't actually like to be turned with the handlebars. They are much more responsive to lean angle than steering angle - and a lot of the people I see riding them have their feet next to each other facing forwards. I ride mine like a snowboard, I've never come off

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
It's all or nothing for me. Quite ridiculous that they are outright illegal in the UK, yet ebikes which can happily do 30mph+ without pedalling are not subject to the same rules regarding tax/insurance/mot.

Anecdotally, of all the people I see riding these, the most reckless and out of control of them are always on rentals. It will sound strange if you haven't ridden one, but they don't actually like to be turned with the handlebars. They are much more responsive to lean angle than steering angle - and a lot of the people I see riding them have their feet next to each other facing forwards. I ride mine like a snowboard, I've never come off
E-scooters are illegal in the UK?

Didn’t know that, I thought it was just London where they had to be a rental scooter.

You still see loads of them being ridden around most major cities

Hollidog

ClioSport Club Member
They're not explicitly banned but they are classified as a motor vehicle, however, it is impossible to tax, insure, and MOT them, therefore making them illegal to use on the public highways.

BoatNonce

ClioSport Club Member
No they can’t. Illegal ebikes can, but they are exactly the same as e-scooters.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
They're not explicitly banned but they are classified as a motor vehicle, however, it is impossible to tax, insure, and MOT them, therefore making them illegal to use on the public highways.
but 1000's of people use them everyday without ever being stopped by the police.

almost every morning I see a guy flying along the local riverside path at about 20mph on his diy electric push bike (without pedaling).

I want to shout c**t at him everytime I see him.

Gav_r26

ClioSport Club Member
  2006 Megane R26
but 1000's of people use them everyday without ever being stopped by the police.

almost every morning I see a guy flying along the local riverside path at about 20mph on his diy electric push bike (without pedaling).

I want to shout c**t at him everytime I see him.

You do realise a legal pedal assist pushbike will freewheel just like a normal pushbike dont you? Just because he isnt constantly pedaling doesnt make it illegal.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
You do realise a legal pedal assist pushbike will freewheel just like a normal pushbike dont you? Just because he isnt constantly pedaling doesnt make it illegal.
Yep I'm aware of that.

He's not free wheeling though, it's powering him along (up a slight hill) without so much as one turn of the pedals.

Hollidog

ClioSport Club Member
No they can’t. Illegal ebikes can, but they are exactly the same as e-scooters.
My mistake, I was not aware a speed limit on eBikes existed.

And agree regarding the relaxed enforcement of the laws, but it doesn't mean they couldn't throw the book at you if they decided to.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
I don’t get this, they’re banning rental e-scooters but privately owned ones are ok??

You’d think it would be the other way round to ensure anyone riding one is insured

Paris says au revoir to rental e-scooters https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66682673
I think the rental escooters are a bit of an issue tbh, they end up being left all over the place and clutter the pavement up, then they seem to only be rented by absolute throbbers.

Saw one go right over the bonnet of a merc the other day, he was flying down the pavement and the car was pulling out of a drive. I bet the car was found liable too.

Last edited:

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
As per, Chichester traffic was abysmal on bankholiday monday so I was redirected through the town center.

Out of nowhere comes one of those Suron (Siron? Suuron? SIRon?) EBike things that youths who sell substances are notorous for using...

Balaclava, manbag...you get the idea. Well, this guy might aswell have been the poster boy for them. No helmet, full tracksuit, aforementioned manbag - full of drugs no doubt.

The speed this thing managed without any appearance of effort from the gentleman rider was ridiculous. He was on the back wheel, doing 'tricks', whilst weaving through traffic - probably off to his next drop.

If selling drugs wasnt risky enough, it wont be long before hes turned into strawberry milkshake by an HGV. Bonkers.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
I think the rental escooters are a but of an issue tbh, they end up being left all over the place and clutter the pavement up, then they seem to only be rented by absolute throbbers.

Saw one go right over the bonnet of a merc the other day, he was flying down the pavement and the car was pulling out of a drive. I bet the car was found liable too.
These things, along with the rental bikes, just give me anxiety. Not only are you spot on - theyre usually only rented by throbbers or pissheads who cba to walk - but if they hit YOU, its YOU who has to make an insurance claim on your own insurance?!

I could be sat there in stationary traffic and get smashed into. They would wander off and nothing could be done about it other than to try and submit a claim through the civil courts. This is all under the provision that you can even obtain details from the person? Its so fucked up.

Darren61

ClioSport Club Member
Can’t stand e-scooters, even the “legal” trials that are happening where I live. The thought of being clattered into by one at full speed whilst walking somewhere or I dread to think one hitting a small child. The outcome could be the worst one and it’s just not ok that any person can get some and use it with no regulation of licensing/MOT etc….

Gav_r26

ClioSport Club Member
  2006 Megane R26
Yep I'm aware of that.

He's not free wheeling though, it's powering him along (up a slight hill) without so much as one turn of the pedals.
Fair enough. I've got what could be a legal conversion and is legal, apart from the thumb throttle over-ride, which I don't have to have on but choose too. I don't ride it any quicker than I goo on my road bike, as tbh the 250w motor mainly just cancels out the 10kg it added in weight to the bike. Got insurance through my BC membership and don't ride like a knob, just arrive at work 7 miles away without being a sweaty mess. I think they have their place but the same as anything you get tits using them irresponsibly. Same could be said about cars, and we don't all call for them to be banned. There are also plenty of non e-bikes that are ridden dangerously and down paths etc. Its the same as anything though, the problem is always the humans! No matter how well you design things, or plan things, humans always find new levels to f*ck if up.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
It seems I started this thread. Well, never got one. Think it was mainly because they don't seem as good an option during the winter months, and if I've got to still have a car for the warmer months, i.e. tax and mot etc. I might as well just have it all year round eh.

Plus going down to one car just wouldn't work for us due to drop offs/pick ups with the kids etc.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
These things, along with the rental bikes, just give me anxiety. Not only are you spot on - theyre usually only rented by throbbers or pissheads who cba to walk - but if they hit YOU, its YOU who has to make an insurance claim on your own insurance?!

I could be sat there in stationary traffic and get smashed into. They would wander off and nothing could be done about it other than to try and submit a claim through the civil courts. This is all under the provision that you can even obtain details from the person? Its so fucked up.
Hopefully he'll end up as a statistic soon mate

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
I think the point is, like with all things - something good gets ruined by the knobends. I don't have a problem with ebikes, recently rode a 1000w converted one and loved it but I don't like some yobbo drug dealer doing 30mph on a pavement.
Yes, this.

My rant didnt include this bit, as portrayed wonderfully by Range Rover Rob.

Ive never ridden one, but they sound f**king ballistic. Id love one to get to work on - I have a cycle path that I could use every day. But, I just cant hack all the people stopping me asking for a bag.

realnumber 1

ClioSport Club Member

Ebikes that can do 30+ without pedaling are just as illegal to use on the roads as escooters.

Ebikes are only legal with pedal assist up to 15.5mph

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Yes, most of the 2-wheel electric stuff whizzing around is completely illegal on the roads.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Just been for a ride, they are legal above 15.5mph but the motor can only assist upto that speed.

The one I rode was great, you could do 30mph on a pavement if you were a knob end or you could do 20mph uphill on the road which is how I guess I would use it.

Was a Bafang kit which was £900 with a big battery.

I also wouldn't charge the Chinese battery under my kids bed like other mongos seem keen on doing.

Gav_r26

ClioSport Club Member
  2006 Megane R26
It seems I started this thread. Well, never got one. Think it was mainly because they don't seem as good an option during the winter months, and if I've got to still have a car for the warmer months, i.e. tax and mot etc. I might as well just have it all year round eh.

Plus going down to one car just wouldn't work for us due to drop offs/pick ups with the kids etc.
To be fair I only use mine to comute during summer and on dry days at that. can only do twice a week as dropping of at nursery the other days, but I look at it as 2 days petrol saved, and keeps mile off the R26. Plus charge it at work so costs nothing in elec, and its a nice ride in twice a week in the sun / fresh air. Depends on your commute though, I'm lucky mines not too bad and a lot of cycleways. Racked up over 1000Km on it now, which is 1000km less fuel at 22 mpg so a good couple of hundred pounds.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
Fair enough. I've got what could be a legal conversion and is legal, apart from the thumb throttle over-ride, which I don't have to have on but choose too. I don't ride it any quicker than I goo on my road bike, as tbh the 250w motor mainly just cancels out the 10kg it added in weight to the bike. Got insurance through my BC membership and don't ride like a knob, just arrive at work 7 miles away without being a sweaty mess. I think they have their place but the same as anything you get tits using them irresponsibly. Same could be said about cars, and we don't all call for them to be banned. There are also plenty of non e-bikes that are ridden dangerously and down paths etc. Its the same as anything though, the problem is always the humans! No matter how well you design things, or plan things, humans always find new levels to f*ck if up.

If you’ve got a throttle on it, it’s illegal. Be careful because that’s a straight up 6 points. The insurance you’ve got won’t be third party insurance unless they’ve changed the rules up there.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
If you’ve got a throttle on it, it’s illegal. Be careful because that’s a straight up 6 points. The insurance you’ve got won’t be third party insurance unless they’ve changed the rules up there.
What if the throttle doesn't work?

The kit I tried you could turn the throttle and speed limiter on and off I guess for when you were riding on the road.

Sir Nancy Flowers

ClioSport Club Member
  M140i
Maybe we could make something work here. Get CS in the news.

@Touring_Rob you ride down the road really fast - ok?

Then, just wait for this bit........AND THEN @Sunglasses_Ron jumps out from behind a Bush, shouts 'ELLO ELLO ELLO ROBERT. COME ERE THEN SONNY JIM'. (Emphasis on the Cockney bit obviously). He arrests Rob and then we all watch if he gets imprisoned or not?

Sound good? Okay cool.

Gav_r26

ClioSport Club Member
  2006 Megane R26

Yeah, it's not exactly ovbious, and I ride it no different to I ride my non e-bike and am always spinning even if in reallity i'm putting zero effort in. It doesnt look like an ebike either so i'm gonna have to be quite unluky to get caught to be fair. If i was doing 30 mph down the pavement it may draw attention, but siting on the road at 25kph in full cycling gear doesnt exactly scream ebike.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin

Then, just wait for this bit........AND THEN @Sunglasses_Ron jumps out from behind a Bush, shouts 'ELLO ELLO ELLO ROBERT. COME ERE THEN SONNY JIM'. (Emphasis on the Cockney bit obviously). He arrests Rob and then we all watch if he gets imprisoned or not?

Sound good? Okay cool.

Rob is far too good looking to go to prison.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
To be fair I only use mine to comute during summer and on dry days at that. can only do twice a week as dropping of at nursery the other days, but I look at it as 2 days petrol saved, and keeps mile off the R26. Plus charge it at work so costs nothing in elec, and its a nice ride in twice a week in the sun / fresh air. Depends on your commute though, I'm lucky mines not too bad and a lot of cycleways. Racked up over 1000Km on it now, which is 1000km less fuel at 22 mpg so a good couple of hundred pounds.

Yeah fair enough. I wouldn't mind giving one a go. Roads are a bit of a nightmare around where I work though. I used to work just off the seafront which was a lovely journey, used to cycle it.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Sounds like a grey area to me mate. Personally I wouldn’t want to be the test case in that one 😂
I thought that after pressing send - can imagine trying to explain to someone who just pulled you over for doing 30mph on a pushbike that the throttle only works off road - 'yea, ok mate, explain it in court' would be the answer I reckon!

Sound good? Okay cool.
If I could pick one Policeman to be pulled over by in the entire world it would be Ron 😂

Last edited:

Gav_r26

ClioSport Club Member
  2006 Megane R26
ebike-commute.jpg

gravel-bike-commute.jpg

ebike.jpg

Two commutes, one on the ebike and one on the gravel bike. Max speed is actually quicker on the gravel bike. Ebike just drags up the average speed and reduces the sweat! Average cadence is also similar. My conversion doeasnt exactly jump out either. Its like all things, if you dont take the piss you wont have too much bother. Its like speeding. You'll attract a lot less atention doing 75 on a motorway than you will through a village. Both illegal and speeding though ... Not saying you couldnt get done for both and fully aware if i got stopped by a copper that really wanted to be awkward then i'd be in s**t, but the problem is e-bikes covers a semi sensible conversion and also these electric crosser style bikes all the local drug dealers are riding around on, and they arent really in the same category.

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
I don’t get this, they’re banning rental e-scooters but privately owned ones are ok??

You’d think it would be the other way round to ensure anyone riding one is insured

Paris says au revoir to rental e-scooters https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-66682673

Having just got back from Paris, E-Scooters are everywhere and I didnt see any issues people using them. I've never seen so many E-Scooters and E-bikes in my life with everyone managing to get on with their day to day lives just fine.

We're just moaners in this country.

Short Norman

ClioSport Club Member
  997 C4S
Having just got back from Paris, E-Scooters are everywhere and I didnt see any issues people using them. I've never seen so many E-Scooters and E-bikes in my life with everyone managing to get on with their day to day lives just fine.

We're just moaners in this country.
do they ride everywhere on them over there, pavement-road-cycle lanes

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
Everywhere to be honest but their pavements tend to be much wider than ours and have cycle lanes too.