ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E39 5 series MOT failure..options?

My dads had his 2001 E39 525i touring since new, now on 114k miles and cosmetically in near immaculate condition. However for the last few years he's had to spend a fair amount fixing issues and getting it through its MOT to the tune of over £1k (these are only worth <£2k now).

This year the list of things its failed on is quite long and although most of them are fairly simple fixes, I'm trying to convince him to get shot and buy something abit newer that won't give him so many issues. (I have no idea how the tyres got to that point but they must have been wearing extremely unevenly).

Anyway, suggestions of whether to keep patching it up or cut his losses and buy something for around the <£5k mark? He's not particularly interested in a newer car and is happy driving this but I can't help but think its becoming a money pit...

upload_2016-5-19_16-58-43.png

Last edited:
It sounds like he doesn't bother to look after it tbh. if he buys something for £5k will that car go the same way ?

It sounds like he doesn't bother to look after it tbh. if he buys something for £5k will that car go the same way ?

I think all its had in recent years are regular oil changes and then been then put through the MOT each year. I'm not sure 'looking after it' any more would have preventing these things from needing doing as they're all serviceable items (albeit they would have been picked up earlier).

£2-300 in parts, and a day's work from what i can see. Then 2/4 tyres. All consumables.

Will see what kind of quote the local garage where he's left it come up with. Still, a days labour at £50/ hour on top of the parts is going to push it up to nearer to £1k worth of work.

Crybert

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup 172
Not gonna lie I've never seen an mot sheet with so many issues listed. It sounds like the car is used and abused. To have that amount of issues at 114k on an e39 isn't great. I would expect the car to have 50 owners and 250k miles with a fail sheet like that!

He should get a brand new Kia picanto or something. Long warranty and parts are cheap

bashracing

ClioSport Club Member
MoT tester is a f**k wit by the look of it as fail item 2 secondary braking system imbalance doesn't apply to vehicles with a split service system.
I would ask for an appeal form or take it somewhere that aren't looking for work