ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E46 M3 vs E46 M3 CSl

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Was that camera mounted on a piece of string?

I had to switch off after 15 seconds.

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Mapped and CSL intake iirc.

The 18's help the handing A LOT.

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
All about the driver. I could be in an M3 and someone in a well driven Trophy would most likley be quicker than me on track.

C63 PP,R1,,Clubman
supersprint exhaust too if its the one im thinking of.Ive raced a CSL in my stock M3 and he won easy in a straight line.

Evo 8 Jap Crap
Mapped and CSL intake iirc.

The 18's help the handing A LOT.

it dont have csl intake ;)

Baris_06.jpg

Regardless of driver the csl is lighter and has more power even though the m3 is modded.

The m3 was quicker in a straight line. Says alot for evolves mapping imo

Last edited:

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
it dont have csl intake ;)

Regardless of driver the csl is lighter and has more power even though the m3 is modded.

How stripped is the M3 though. He's got light seats in it...

LOL @ Evolves mapping. Why is the air intake temp sensor behind my rad?? It'll make more power on the dyno mate...

Evo 8 Jap Crap
WTF you on about the fact is his m3 has less power than a csl and weighs more that is fact

Changing the front seats to pole positions aint gonna make up the 110kg deficit it has on the csl!

Mk1 Clio F4R'd
The CSL driver is a semi pro racing driver btw, but the fella in the red M3 does a fair few track days, its a stunning motor!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
When the cars came out of the factory there was a lot of press saying that for a 20k premium you dont get much,but the better driver in you will come out more times in the csl than in the M3

182 Cup

I'm not saying it is the case, but if I was in the CSL in that clip I would have lifted to aid the overtake. It's a track day not a race after all.

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Im confused as to what that video is supposed to prove?

An M3 & a CSL following a VX220 around a track, following by an M3 overtaking a CSL, that probably couldnt be bothered to have an amateur driver sat on his ar5e trying to outbrake him/be a hero down the main straight at Snetterton ...

I overtook a TVR Chimera at Brands, must be 'cos i roll 2118's & silvervisions.

Thread. Fail.

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
They look pretty even until the CSL lifts. The M3 has far superior suspension though as it was hardly challenged by the corners at the speeds the CSL was doing them

Turbos.
Wait a minute, you do realise the CSL let the M3 past? As per any other track day, if a faster car is coming, you part-throttle, or lift off to let them past on the straights? Besides, we don't know how modified this M3 is, or the quality of the drivers. About as unscientific as it gets.

Not particularly great driving, just standard track day fare. Didn't take any kerbs, car was never vaguely out of shape...proves nothing.

I had a drag with an M3 on, funnily enough, the M3 heading towards Portsmouth. I was annoyed that i only just outdragged him getting into 4th. Following week, i got the CSL on the rollers and found out the induction flap was sticking. I think it made something like 330bhp. Ultimately, the CSL weighs 100kg less. It is always going to be quicker. Supersprint cat-backs (and any cat-back for that matter) has been proven to give less power on the M3s. The only exhaust mods worth doing are the race cats and straight through centre pipes. Even so, we're talking a few BHP. This M3 would need a different mani, the CSL intake and better cams just to be on par.

Mk1 Clio F4R'd
Oh and i'm pretty sure Fifth gear found that the CSL was 2 seconds quicker around a lap of their track when they tested both

e91 330d/type r mini
i really need to have a go in a csl just to see how good they really are, the trouble for me is that i like my toys to much and doubt i drive my car hard enough on the road to see 10k difference in price.
having said that I STILL WANT A CSL :(

Evo 8 Jap Crap
I must be watcvhing a different clip then because BEFORE the csl clearly lifted off the m3 was pulling the csl in towards the corner where the csl is following the lotus

e91 330d/type r mini
CSL will be worth £10k more when you sell it too...
totally agree but just cannot see i would use or see the 10k difference on the road, in all honesty it would probably me more than 10k difference the older they get the csl is a classic already whereas the regular m3s are 10 a penny

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
The CSL is a true purists car.The changes made to the car over the standard car are an engineering masterpiece.On the road however 99.9% of the time you would never notice.
having said that,given the money i would choose one everytime.The induction,cams and wider track are what gives the car the edge over its sibling,and no matter how little or often you get to exploit those extra's its just nice to know your sat in one of the best drivers cars that bmw has ever produced...

M135i
Lol, I love how he casually reaches down to pick up the bottle of Sprite from the floor whilst nailing it down the straight.