ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

e60 BMW 525d - Carbon Black

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
BMW e60 525d M-Sport – Carbon Black. Major Paint Correction Detail.

Car has had four wheel refurbs (of which were a decent finish for once) and a resprayed rear bumper to the owners’ knowledge. The car had been sat for a few months whilst the owner was out of the Country, on his return, it was booked in for a three day Major to try restore some life to the exterior paintwork.

Vehicle inspection.

DSC_0001.jpg

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

Decent wheel refurbs (albeit missing the centre-caps (which the owner is now sourcing a new set of))

DSC_0004.jpg

Exhaust (with added polish residues from previous sessions)

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

The N/S of the vehicle in the sun. eek!

DSC_0010.jpg

DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

Video clip: http://youtu.be/zdPScTBfYP4?hd=1

Probably some of the worst swirling I have seen! At this stage, nothing looks too ‘serious’ (IE, deep random scratches) but the swirls were incredible; some impressive 50/50’s to follow no doubt in the polishing stages!

With the wheels and arches dealt with, the lower sills on the car were soaked with AutoSmart’s Haszsafe and followed with a foaming session with Bilt Hamber AutoFoam. In the dwell time (Autofoam quite a ‘wet’ foam so it doesn’t hang around for long), exterior trims, badges, window jams and grilles were cleansed with a soft brush and AutoSmart G101.

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

Washed with the usual WhiteDetails’ approach – brought inside for decontamination stage.

AutoSmart Tardis used to remove tar deposits and remaining bug splats.

Elite Car Care’s mild clay and AMDetails’ mild clay bar (pick a mix) were used alongside ONR (optimum no rinse) as lube.

Quite a lot of contaminants present:

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

Popped back outside for a good rinse and time to inspect the paint.

Accessible exterior trim removed to allow greater correction in the tight/fiddly areas:

DSC_0023.jpg

Defects down the N/S.

DSC_0024.jpg

I spotted them earlier on whilst the car was in the sun, but, the complete N/S had been sprayed and literally hundreds of tiny ‘fish-eyes’ were left in the paint due to an awful respray.

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0027.jpg

DSC_0029.jpg

No polishing will fix this I’m afraid!

Both sides suffering from nasty water etchings from dripping down off of the wing mirror (a common issue on e60s?)

DSC_0031.jpg

More defects:

DSC_0033.jpg

DSC_0034.jpg

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0054.jpg

Buffertrails (poor machine polishing) spotted on the O/S of the vehicle:

DSC_0039.jpg

And the finish on the rear bumper from previous respray:

DSC_0043.jpg

DSC_0045.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0051.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

Plenty to get stuck into then! (No doubt with some troubles along the way due to the resprayed areas)

Starting and testing my first polishing set on the bonnet. Original paint, but, average paint thickness of mid 90’s which wasn’t ideal. Some areas indicating high 70 and low 80 microns – compromise going to have to be made here.

DSC_0061.jpg

DSC_0058.jpg

Most of the correctional work on the original BMW paint was dealt with with a 3M cutting pad and a mix of Menzerna 85RD 3.02, Meguiars 105 and 3M Fast Cut+.

Before/After:

DSC_0062.jpg
DSC_0064.jpg

DSC_0071.jpg

As you can see, bonnet also suffering quite badly from heavy stone chipping!

>80% correction made on the bonnet; compromise had to be made due to dangerously thin thickness readings. A single correctional hit followed by further refinement to remove compounding haze with a 3M polishing pad and mix of Extra Fine and Ultra Fina.

Up and on to the roof, much healthier readings to play with:

DSC_0073.jpg

3M FastCut+ coupled with a blob of Ultrafina to extend the work time.

DSC_0077.jpg

Before/After cutting stage.

DSC_0075.jpg

DSC_0076.jpg

Multiple passes were made to chase desired results as this time, paint thickness allowed!

DSC_0111.jpg

DSC_0124.jpg

Finally refining down with the same 3M yellow and Extrafine + Ultrafine combo.

DSC_0128.jpg

DSC_0129.jpg

The roofline between the C / A pillar worked next. 3M’s green ‘cut’ spot pad used to shift the defects:

DSC_0131.jpg

But as you can see, not the sharpest of finish due to aggressiveness of my compounding approach.

Further refined with 3M’s yellow (polishing) spot pad and Menz 203s.

DSC_0156.jpg

O/S/F wing. Original, but again, low thickness readings.

DSC_0158.jpg

DSC_0159.jpg

DSC_0162.jpg

50/50 between the untouched O/S/F door and the wing.

DSC_0163.jpg

DSC_0169.jpg

Before/After: (more buffertrails spotted)

DSC_0166.jpg
DSC_0167.jpg

DSC_0171.jpg

DSC_0170.jpg

Working back, I tackle the smaller intricate ‘spot pad’ areas before the larger ‘open’ areas. Areas like behind the door handle here:

DSC_0172.jpg
DSC_0173.jpg

Rest of the door hit hard and then refined to a jewelled sharp finish.

DSC_0176.jpg

DSC_0178.jpg

Much like the Mugello Blue RS4 I ticked off earlier this week, the arches on the e60 required an individual polishing set before moving on to the rest of the surrounding wing.

DSC_0181.jpg

Small spot pad work.

DSC_0201.jpg

Pre-refinement:

DSC_0202.jpg

With the rest of the wing complete, the difference between the bumper and the wing was night and day!

DSC_0180.jpg

DSC_0204.jpg

DSC_0205.jpg

DSC_0208.jpg

The bootlid (which was severely hammered) set up and ready for a 50/50. Paint thickness readings well into their 150’s which allowed many correctional passes to chase desired results.

DSC_0210.jpg

Under strip lighting:

DSC_0215.jpg

Halogen:

DSC_0216.jpg

Forced LED with the Brinkmann:

DSC_0222.jpg

What’s going on here?

DSC_0225.jpg

As the bootlid was kind of sprung loaded, accessing the lower-lip whilst closed was near on impossible (without running the risk of catching the upper-facing of the bumper below)

So, having only corrected half of the flat facing above, I countered the weight of the springs and continued with my polishing set.

Flat, hazed and scratched:

DSC_0226.jpg

Easy now to run a spot pad across the lower lip and surrounding areas:

DSC_0252.jpg

Before/After:

DSC_0253.jpg

DSC_0260.jpg

DSC_0261.jpg

And yep, happy with that!

DSC_0254.jpg

A little burn through spotted on the N/S corner of the rear bumper.

DSC_0271.jpg

Starting with the upwards facing lip:

DSC_0262.jpg

50/50s:

DSC_0265.jpg

DSC_0267.jpg

And the sides, before/after:

DSC_0272.jpg

DSC_0274.jpg

Usually, I struggle to capture any sort of correction, before/after photos on the rear clusters. Tried a 50/50 instead…

You can just make out the divide:

DSC_0280.jpg

Rear end, inc. bumpers, bootlid and lights complete.

DSC_0285.jpg

In spinning the car round, it was time to tackle the resprayed N/S and finish the roof & bootlid 50/50s.

The roof came up very well indeed!

DSC_0289.jpg

DSC_0290.jpg

Boot lid wasn’t bad either:

DSC_0293.jpg

No wonder it gets hot in here, check out the lighting! (a must have though if you’re to be completing a thorough job)

DSC_0296.jpg

As if the visual signs weren’t enough, the PTG paint detective gadgie showing signs of resprayed areas.

DSC_0297.jpg

DSC_0299.jpg

This side, the resprayed side, the paint was soft. A 3M yellow polishing pad with Menz 85RD 3.02 to correct and black 3M finishing pad with Ultrafina (3M blue top) to refine.

50/50s

DSC_0300.jpg

DSC_0301.jpg

Even without the forced lighting, the difference is quite something!

DSC_0303.jpg

More of the water etchings from the wing mirror housing.

DSC_0306.jpg

50/50 between N/S/F wing and the corrected door:

DSC_0307.jpg

DSC_0309.jpg

DSC_0312.jpg

Video 50/50: http://youtu.be/YM5fPkFvfTQ?hd=1

Front bumper (resprayed signs also)

DSC_0319.jpg

DSC_0321.jpg

And then last but not least, the side skirts.

DSC_0313.jpg

DSC_0317.jpg

All this heavy correction leads to a pretty dusty car!

DSC_0330.jpg

DSC_0328.jpg

DSC_0329.jpg

Rinsed down concentrating on panel gaps, crevices etc.

DSC_0338.jpg

DSC_0339.jpg

At this point, the engine bay was tackled.

DSC_0332.jpg

DSC_0333.jpg

DSC_0334.jpg
DSC_0335.jpg

Once inside and dry, dressed and protected.

DSC_0340.jpg

DSC_0342.jpg

A thorough IPA wipedown (isopropyl alcohol) given to remove polishing oils ensuring a squeaky clean base for protection.

Exterior britework tidied with Jeffs Prime.

DSC_0343.jpg
DSC_0345.jpg

Toothpickery work followed by more Jeffs Prime used to sort this lock on the bootlid:

DSC_0351.jpg

A few of the worst chips/scrapes tidied with a quick touch up.

DSC_0353.jpg

DSC_0359.jpg

DSC_0361.jpg

DSC_0363.jpg

Exhausts tidied, glass cleaned throughout, Blackfire’s All Finish Paint Protection applied and tyres dressed.

A few afters:

DSC_0365.jpg

DSC_0366.jpg

DSC_0368.jpg

DSC_0371.jpg

DSC_0372.jpg

DSC_0374.jpg

DSC_0376.jpg
DSC_0377.jpg

DSC_0288.jpg

DSC_0379.jpg

DSC_0380.jpg

DSC_0387.jpg

DSC_0395.jpg
Image00002.jpg

Three days after completion, the car was wiped down with Zaino’s Z6 in readiness for collection.

Final pics.

Image00006.jpg

Image00003.jpg

Image00004.jpg

Image00010.jpg

Image00008.jpg

Image00007.jpg

Image00005.jpg

I’ve decided, Carbon Black is a stunning colour once fully prepped.

Take the 130i M-Sport that was ticked off late April after a similar detail; lovely!

DSC_0418.jpg

Overall, 25 hours put into this one over the three days. Again, quite the transformation (just a shame about those areas that I couldn’t fix (badly resprayed areas etc))

Thanks for reading.

Jim

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Immense work there Jim!

That's the worst paintjob i've seen in a while. As an assessor in a bodyshop we're hard on ourselves sometimes but looking elsewhere shows we're actually very good at what we do.

That BMW is simply unacceptable for any garage to get away with.

Oh and I have something you might like... http://www.power-tec.co.uk/showitem.asp?item=5049&Door+Jammer

It holds doors, tailgates/boots, bonnets open. Great for applying pressure against and so easy to use. If you can't order one don't hesitate to ask and i'll make a few calls mate.

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Bloody hell, looks like a brand new car!! Fantastic work. Pity about the s**t resprays mind.

When you dress the engine, is it just a case of spraying AG Vinyl & Rubber care on when wet and leaving to dry?

Audi A4 AVANT 1.9TDi
:cool: Thanks guys (n gals)

Immense work there Jim!

That's the worst paintjob i've seen in a while. As an assessor in a bodyshop we're hard on ourselves sometimes but looking elsewhere shows we're actually very good at what we do.

That BMW is simply unacceptable for any garage to get away with.

Oh and I have something you might like... http://www.power-tec.co.uk/showitem.asp?item=5049&Door+Jammer

It holds doors, tailgates/boots, bonnets open. Great for applying pressure against and so easy to use. If you can't order one don't hesitate to ask and i'll make a few calls mate.

oooh, nice. Look at that! Ha, and theres me loading barrels of AutoSmart on top of the bootlid... Thanks mate - may be in touch about this!

Bloody hell, looks like a brand new car!! Fantastic work. Pity about the s**t resprays mind.

When you dress the engine, is it just a case of spraying AG Vinyl & Rubber care on when wet and leaving to dry?

Cheers mate. ah, see... a bit of a secret I've kept to myself when it comes to dressing the engine bay... The reason I use AG VRC is because its runny. I apply product to the bulk of the bay and then concentrate on fiddely areas such as brackets, hoses, joints, tough to reach areas etc.. With the Black Baron Vehicle Dryer, I'm then able to blow product into these hard to reach crevices and dress the bay throughout! Da daaa! A quick wipe around and youre done.

Very nice indeed Jim. Some of those 50/50's were superb!!!! Are you using flickr for your uploads?

Photobucket chap - I've never gotten into using flickr?! (Should I?)

STEALTH RAIDER
The quility of flickr look better but i need to be a member to have the privilage of using the html code on here. What size you doing your pics? 320 x 240 standard or blowing them up? They look around 500 x 375