ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

E92 M3 Shoot (oh....and a 172 too!)

I won't write too much as I've written it on my blog :)

Basically I am getting more experienced at this light painting malarky, pretty pleased with the results for a second attempt!

All photos on my blog page: http://www.danfreemanphotography.com/2010/09/e92-m3-shoot-light-painting-practice-i/

A few here:

DSC_0551_copy.jpg

DSC_0603_copy.jpg

DSC_0621_copy.jpg

Hopefully I'll be back out soon to try some more.

221bhp/ton Mondial Terror
Awesome photos as usual Dan. U still up to doing mine again? Should be interesting with us glos lot heading upto
TDF next month.:cool:

I certainly am Dan! I'm in the UK for a while now so anytime now is ok for me.

We just need to think of some better locations, that's what Dave and I were struggling to think of yesterday.

Much easier than you'd think. And yes...a lot of post work as you have to combine all the shots together.

After the F1, I'll post some original shots etc :)

Thanks all. Now all I need is some interesting locations to try out, oh....and some interesting cars too!

If your interested mate, when u do mine again my bro is keen on his P1 getting in on the action this time! To be fair to him he's spent some money on it lately making it mint, dont think you've done a scooby yet? Hard to think of some new locations , but theres Staverton Airport, Tewkesbury Abbey, plenty of scenery down the forrest if we dont get bum raped!;)

I've got some ideas for places to do rig shots, some quiet country lanes.

If your bro doesnt mind travelling, when I meet up with Steve again around Salisbury area you can both come down. We can get some wicked locations down there, airfields etc.

I've got some ideas for places to do rig shots, some quiet country lanes.

If your bro doesnt mind travelling, when I meet up with Steve again around Salisbury area you can both come down. We can get some wicked locations down there, airfields etc.

Sounds cool. Will let him know.

Z4
Car - Lovely

Photos - even better!

Top work mate, if you're ever in the Norwich area I'd love some shots of my e46 M3

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
Fantastic shots as per Dan :)

What kind of torch were you using to light up the cars mate?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Fantastic as always Dan.

I'm guessing there is a lot of work to do after the initial picture is taken? Tweaking ect...

What software do you use?

Fantastic as always Dan.

I'm guessing there is a lot of work to do after the initial picture is taken? Tweaking ect...

What software do you use?

Photoshop :) You can see the work involved here: http://www.danfreemanphotography.com/2010/09/e92-shoot-out-takes/
As I post the original shots from the camera.

Fantastic shots as per Dan :)

What kind of torch were you using to light up the cars mate?

It's a high power LED torch. Approx power is 80W. I'm not going to post exactly what torch it is, because it isn't designed for this use at all, and for complicated reasons, might get me into a bit of bother ;)

Your pics are up there with the best Dan. Well done!

Thanks mate. Much appreciated :)

I just hope to keep practising with some more cars and better locations.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
It's a high power LED torch. Approx power is 80W. I'm not going to post exactly what torch it is, because it isn't designed for this use at all, and for complicated reasons, might get me into a bit of bother ;)

LOL, I won't ask! Cheers mate, I'll go hunting for one. Seems like a decent alternative to using flash, will give it a go :)

Thanks again.

LOL, I won't ask! Cheers mate, I'll go hunting for one. Seems like a decent alternative to using flash, will give it a go :)

As far as Im aware, it doesnt have to be LED. But the advantage with LED is that it's white light. ie daylight corrected, which is much better. You could use a normal torch, but you would have to adjust the white balance after.

One more I forgot:

DSC_0570.jpg

Firstly, yes I know the front wheel isnt straight. Thats how the car was parked and I didnt want to hassle the owner to move it lol ;)

I spent a bit more time blending the layers together, so Im much happier with the smooth lighting on this shot, and I also desaturated the background a bit more as the colours annoyed me a bit. Better?

I might re-edit it a bit to lighten the floor at the rear of the car, as you're loosing detail where the tyre touches the ground.

Oil Burner
Really like these alot. Superb shots and show what can be done with near no kit and some imagination

The last shot has some grey parts on the car (where im guessing you havent painted it?) around the bumper on the l/h side edge and just under the bumper here. Also under the rear window - bottom right.

Nimbus 197
I saw these on your blog, awesome work as usual! Getting your mate to paint the car with another torch might save you a bit of hassle with the PP work next time though.

Thanks.

Theres a lot more to it than just shining the torch on the car, im sure Dave will back me up on that! Trying to avoid hotspots and harsh lighting in areas was tricky, so you had to try at different heights and angles.

So I think it would be much more precise to do it one side at a time. I will probably to seperate exposures for the alloys too next time.

Qashcow
that one above took about 20 minutes to do. the first shot from a distance took about an hour to get right. trying to prevent glare in the body panels required 2 people