ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Early Rev limiter - Cup

I know this has been talked about numerous times....but I dont think ive ever heard an answer to the question Im going to ask:

What is the exact temperature of the engine oil when the limiter decides it will stop ruining the fun and move up to its normal position at approx 7,250 RPM?? (why didnt the Cup come with an oil temp guage - its annoying)

I ask this because it must be a temperature sensor that adjusts it, but in my opinion it waits far too long - surely it cant take 15 mins to get up to 70 degs!! (the optimum engine temp as I understand it)

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Well its kinda hard to say seeing as there isnt a oil temp level is there ! dont confuse water temp with oil temp and yes it can take more than 15 minutes to get up to ideal temp.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

it works off the coolant temp.coolant temp must be above 80c to allow full engine revs.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Not sure, but it can take ages in this weather...

On my last couple of cars Ive had oil temp guages, so I knew when it was ok to start giving it some, but in the Cup you just kinda have to wait and guess, then keep an eye out for the early shift light if you aint sure!

This could probably be adjusted in the ECU programme?!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by JAY172 on 19 January 2004

it works off the coolant temp.coolant temp must be above 80c to allow full engine revs.
Well how come the water temp guage will move up quickly and seem to sit at 1/2 way and not move, yet it takes a LOT longer for the rev limit to alter.

I also assumed it was oil temp based, as this makes much more sense...

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 19 January 2004

Well how come the water temp guage will move up quickly and seem to sit at 1/2 way and not move, yet it takes a LOT longer for the rev limit to alter.

what he said..

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

Quote: Originally posted by Rich-D on 19 January 2004

something ive always wondered myself.the gauge gets to halfway and seems to stay around that area even when its hot enough for the cooling fan to kick in but the limiter operation does work off coolant temp and it does have to be 80c.

I see...cheers. I had a golf 16v with a trip comp with oil temp guage (as well as the normal on dash water temp gauge) - and it got up to temp in about 6 mins thats why Im sceptical about the time it takes in the clio!

If the water is 80 degs - what is the corresponding oil temp?? Is it a direct correlation?

no...

you can warm up the coolant far faster than the oil.

BUT, if your engine is warm and youve been driving constantly, then oil and water temps will be around the same, start ragging it and the oil temp will shoot up to as much as 20-30 deg hotter than coolant.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Ok, so its coolant temp and the guage is a waste of time...

Was considering getting auxillary guages anyway.

The other thing is you could be driving for hours, car is fully warm, but say you stop and nip out to the cash machine, then back in 2 mins later and the bl00dy limiter has dropped again!!!

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by Mike172sport on 19 January 2004

Do you really want to take your engine upto 7250rpm with it not at correct temp;)
No, hence why Id like the extra guages to know whats going on! ;)

I wouldnt want to rag the engine if its not at the right temp, but the amount of times I take the car out and see the early shift light - and I think bloody hell it cant still be colder than 70 degs!!

If one cars oil gets to temp within about 6 mins give or take a couple of mins for outside temp - how can another be so different?

Could it be that Renault have been a bit cautious on the setting of the limiter?

Has anyone out there got an aux oil temp gauge fitted?

I may be talking ring, but Im just interested to know peeps thoughts?

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

trouble is when ive had oil temp and pressure gauges i spend half my time looking at them,tempting fate i think!

i only really look or monitor when its freezing cold, and most of th etime on track to keep an eye on everything. NOthing major, just handy.

lol.....that must be alot then!

Im not to worried about the whole, cold start rag thing.....much more worried of temp and pressure on track, eventhough its probably far less important.

Rich-D

ClioSport Club Member
  E90 LCI 330d

Quote: Originally posted by BenR on 19 January 2004

i only really look or monitor when its freezing cold, and most of th etime on track to keep an eye on everything. NOthing major, just handy.
Likewise...

I dont constantly watch the guages, theyre there to have if I need to check anything.

ahhh......that 309, gorgeous car. And i still dont know why people love the 205, the 309 is far superior in its handling. And with the Mi16 lump in it...jesus, lovely car.

Astra.....erm, nice engine lol.

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

astra went well but handled like a sack of sh*t.i put koni shocks all round on the pug and it stuck to the road like glue.even if you got it seriously out of shape(which took a lot) just keep your foot down and it came back every time.i still miss that car sometimes.been on the lookout for another one cheap for a while now.