ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ebay - postage cost dispute help please

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
15   0   0
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I recently bought an item (new front discs) and the item ad said £25 postage on it. I questioned this before bidding asking why it was so much, along with another question. The second question was answered but the postage one was ignored, but because they were so cheap I just bidded and won anyways.

But got them through today and the postage sticker says £14.25, so I'm £10 out of pocket.
I just sent the seller a question asking for a refund of £10 because of the cheaper postage, am I within my rights to do this etc? What action can I take?

And I know it is only £10, hardly breaking the bank considering I got the otems £100 cheaper than anywhere else, but i'm off work and bored so though I may aswell try and get it.

Any advice would be good, thanks.

Trader Rating - 100%
9   0   0
  172 cup
Don' tthink you can get it back mate. It is stated before you bid so you have to take that into consideration when bidding. Also when leaving feedback just put postage costs at 1 star. The majority of people charge more than the postage actually is but £10 is a bit steep.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
35   0   0
  VW Golf GTD
Stop whinging you knew the postage costs before you bid. The reason people put postage high is because you don't pay fees on it, so if people like you keep complaining he'll have to add those fees onto the actuall price.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
15   0   0
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Worth a try, not expecting it back but for the sake of a few emails I''ll give it a go.

DRRollo I did know about the postage obviously, but it was so blatently a lot cheaper, i would have paid more for the discs if the bidding went higher, thats the risks of ebay not putting a BIN on or starting the bid off at higher than 99p

Trader Rating - 100%
20   0   0
  BMW 330D
Very very doubtful you will get it back.
Alot of other factors can be added ie taking goods to post office, packaging etc..

Trader Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I recently bought an item (new front discs) and the item ad said £25 postage on it. I questioned this before bidding asking why it was so much, along with another question. The second question was answered but the postage one was ignored, but because they were so cheap I just bidded and won anyways.

But got them through today and the postage sticker says £14.25, so I'm £10 out of pocket.
I just sent the seller a question asking for a refund of £10 because of the cheaper postage, am I within my rights to do this etc? What action can I take?

And I know it is only £10, hardly breaking the bank considering I got the otems £100 cheaper than anywhere else, but i'm off work and bored so though I may aswell try and get it.

Any advice would be good, thanks.

At the end of the day you agreed to the postage price by buying the items. I have had this problem when posting out items and people questioning the price of postage, but I did reply to a question saying if your not happy with the price of postage then don't buy, but they still did.

I have also been on the recieveing end of it to as a couple of weeks ago I bought clio rear lights with £10.00 postage, but when got the package I noticed that the price of postage on the parcel was £5.70!

Nothing you can do to get it back!

Mark

Trader Rating - 100%
4   0   0
  Audi A3 TDI 170 B.E.
As before you knew the postage cost then find out that they cost less the only thing you can do is to mark them down when you leave feedback. under the P&P costs, and you can't leave NEG feed back because of this.

Trader Rating - 100%
5   0   0
  Mondeo TXS Bardge.
also its not postage its postage and packaging. so fair enought the postage was £14, but the packing, so a box, paper, tape, foam or bubble rap, plus petrol getting to the post office, parking possibly. also its not uncommon for peeps to put what the ebay fees would be onto the postage charge.

alot of ebay shops charge like 99p BIN, but have about £29.99 P&P to get round ebay fees

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
15   0   0
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
Was in an old box with gaffer tape, thats it!
£10 seems like a lot though, my original message said

'Why £25 postage, I can get a set of wheels sent for that, I know discs are heavy but even so it will not be that much'

Trader Rating - 100%
28   0   0
  www.renparts.co.uk
as above im sorry but people such as yourself do get on my nerves, Its a Postage and Packaging fee, you knew the full amount before you bid and im sure you took it into consideration with your maximum bid as im sure others did. As far as you know he could have to drive 10 miles to the post office, its something that isn't there to be disputed. I would understand if he had said 15 then told you 25 after auction end.

Steve

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
56   0   0
  ST3 8.5
If i was doing it for a living i'd want £20 per hour at least.

£14 post £11 labour;)

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  silver clio 182
pepsi complain about it!!! did u pay through paypal? somebody did this to my misses we even said we wud part re-fund but the put in a dispute won got all there money back including postage and they kept the item (bloody w*****s) so if ya dont ask ya dont get!!!!

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  GP2
That ain't that bad. The hasstle of boxing up for despatch and actually taking the item to the post office etc has to be worth a tenner. It is P&P after all, there are other costs associated - not just the actual postage cost.

mossyv6

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
17   0   0
  Trophy,V6,5GT,AG200
I have sold a few items on ebay recently and it is quite difficult to get an accurate cost of postage unless you go the post office with the item. I use the online postage estimation by Royal Mail. You weigh the item and it works the price out, but this can still be inaccurate.

You must also remember you are also paying for packaging as well, which can add up if you use the bubble lined envelope's. The whole process of postage and packaging can be also time consuming.

I have recently posted 2 items to the same customer and therefore included a cheque to cover the postage on the second item.

Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  In between cars....
As said, im sure you took the 25 pound postage into account before placing a bid, you dont know what other costs were incurred in the process of posting out the parcel

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the postage costs is on the high side when i'm looking to buy something, i'll often ask the seller if they'd sent it by a better service for the cash, 9/10 they agree.

When I sell I always add a tiny bit on to cover my fee's (not a massive amount, just a bit)

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Clio 80bhp DCI
Try living in Northern Ireland when sellers here that the postage nearly always goes up even though there is no differnce when using the post office

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  BMW 323i Coupe
You won't get it back.

I do the same, but not as high, because after you sell so many items, the profit from postage can be quite a nice figure.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get this one, I bought an ipod on saturday, postage was £4.95 by standard RM 1st class post. I say How much to send it by RM special delivery, they say add on about £3 - so I pay £8.50 for postage to cover it. It comes today.... by RM recorded, costing £2.66 !!

I give up !!

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
7   0   0
So you're pissed off because you paid £25 for something that cost the seller £15 + labour?

Isn't that how the whole world works?

The item in this auction that you got £100 cheaper than you could get it anywhere else? How much did the seller pay for that? If you found out that it was £50 less than you paid him for the item - would you request refund for that "overpayment" as well?

:S

Last edited:
Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  a burnt one
Maybe the guy lived in orkney and had a 40 mile trip to the Post Office and a 40 mile trip back.

I mean seriously, you knew the price before emailing him, you didnt get a reply so thought its cheap enough il buy them anyway.

You knew the price all along and are chuffed to get them £100 cheaper than anywhere else yet you still want a £10 back.

Thats what i call taking the P**s

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
15   0   0
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
^ hardly taking the piss, it took him 5 days to send the item out, so hardly pushed himself, plus 90% of people will go within a few miles of a post office at least once a week.
Why do people seem to get so offended at the fact I thought the postage was unfair.

Yes I knew the price and was happy to pay it, and I'm still happy at the price, but £10 extra is a bit of a joke in my opinion.

Either way, I was bored and off work ill so thought I may as well try, if you don;t like it don't post, simple as.

Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  a burnt one
But you asked for help??? or do you only want to hear people who side with you opinion?

If you are as happy as you say you are then why dispute a fact you already knew? surely you cant be that bored.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  MB EQC
Not a problem as long as you saved a few quid surely

Don't forget P&P should take into account people's time and fuel etc to drive to the post office

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
15   0   0
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
without bothering to read my original post, I asked if it was possible to do.
i take it you regularly rip people off on postage for items then, considering the defence you are putting up.

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  MB EQC
I don't rip people off! I'm saying that it's not unreasonable for a bit extra on postage

Plus you're quids in

Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  a burnt one
Never actually sold anything on ebay apart from 2 cars which i didnt post, however if i did i would be seriously miffed if someone bought something at which they admitted was a great price and had already saved over £100 then hd the bras neck to go through the hassle of claiming a tenner back.

I work 12hr shifts and cant get to a post office, maybe the guy had to take time off work and lost earnings.

Youre original question appears to have been answered many times, it would appear that as the p+p is clearly stipulated it would be hard to claim it back.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Why do people seem to get so offended at the fact I thought the postage was unfair.

But that's the whole point...you DIDN'T think they were unfair when you bid, which confirmed that you have read and agree to all the terms of the listing.

To go back complaining after the auction ends, regardless of how much it actually cost the seller to send is 100% out of order in my opinion.

If you paid for recorded delivery and it was sent by standard post then fine, have a grievance, but he did exactly what you paid him too for the price you agreed at the time.

How can you possibly have any problem with that?

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
15   0   0
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
I don't rip people off! I'm saying that it's not unreasonable for a bit extra on postage

Plus you're quids in

My reply wasn't meany for you mate, was for the post above you, you got in just as i pressed reply i think, sorry.

I see your point, but most people would get a quote for postage, then maybe add a bit more on, but £10 seems a lot. If I got them next day then fair enough, but 6 days after the auction end seems a piss take.

Never actually sold anything on ebay apart from 2 cars which i didnt post, however if i did i would be seriously miffed if someone bought something at which they admitted was a great price and had already saved over £100 then hd the bras neck to go through the hassle of claiming a tenner back.

I work 12hr shifts and cant get to a post office, maybe the guy had to take time off work and lost earnings.

Youre original question appears to have been answered many times, it would appear that as the p+p is clearly stipulated it would be hard to claim it back.

I was asking if it could be done, can;t be bothered with a huge dispute just asked the question!
So you work 12 hour shifts all day everyday? I'm probably saying this like a t**t to you, not meant to, but you (not you personally i'm generalising) that when selling something you need to be able to get to the post office, and also the auction end date is known, so hardly comes as a shock when they have to be posted.

Pep

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
15   0   0
  M2,XJS,S1000RR
But that's the whole point...you DIDN'T think they were unfair when you bid, which confirmed that you have read and agree to all the terms of the listing.

To go back complaining after the auction ends, regardless of how much it actually cost the seller to send is 100% out of order in my opinion.

If you paid for recorded delivery and it was sent by standard post then fine, have a grievance, but he did exactly what you paid him too for the price you agreed at the time.

How can you possibly have any problem with that?

Ad said first class recorded delivery, usually 1-2 working days. Took 6 days for the item to be sent to me.

I'm not replying anymore anyways, some people obviously get concerned too easily.

Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  Static Low
ive got money back off people for this.
just a clear message to them and usually got a good few quid back.

Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  a burnt one
^^^ To be honest mate that is laughable, yes the end date would be known, but at the same time the postage costs would be known to the buyer

He knows when it ends, you know what tp pay, thats generally how it works.

Maybe im just grasping this all wrong.

Had you saved £8 on the rrp then fair enough, but you're still £90 better off.

I work 12hr shifts 5 days a week and cant get to a post office on a saturday (as im lazy and not out of bed before 12)