ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ebay problems, buyer recons the stereo I sold him is knackered!

Trader Rating - 100%
5   0   0
  Clio 182 FF & Cups
Hi all

Another bad week for me on ebay, after getting messed about last week with a non paying bidder for my car I have just had another bomb shell. I sold a pioneer tv screen head unit a couple of weeks ago (a AVH-P6400CD to be exact), the buyer has contacted me tonight to tell me that when his installer attempted to fit it today he found that the back of the stereo is damaged and bent so the cooling fan won't work for the stereo. Now I know the unit certainly wasn't damaged when I removed it from the car, it worked fine for the two years I owned it so surely if the fan was already damged the unit would have over heated in that time. I can't see that it was damaged during transit as it was very well packaged so any damage substantial enough to hurt the radio would have hurt the packaging and the buyer would have spotted it instantly. I suspect the unit has been damaged by the new owner in a half arsed home fit attempt or by his installer. What do I do? It went for over £300 pounds so I can't afford to just give him a refund and get back a worthless stereo? He paid through paypal, can they just give him a refund? help me!!!

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a hard one.

If the item is of value then I tend to take detailed photos of the product and include them with the item. It then prevents such problems.

However that is no use now huh? I dont know how it will go, the guy will want a refund. If you think the item was defo 100% ok when you sent it, I reckon id get my arguging hat on.

Get so many chancers, wouldnt suprise me if what you suspect is in fact what actually happened.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  RB 182
definatly sounds like he has damaged it, or fitter. How long has he had item, cos surely u would check it over straight away and contact on day received if problems, i have had similar problems with stuff like that!

Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  Recaro Black Gold 182
FIGHT IT, this exact thing happened to me, he put in a dispute with PayPal and they favoured for me and i have not heard a peep out of the buyer since, i wouldn't be suprised if he has done what you think and f*cked it himself.

Trader Rating - 100%
5   0   0
  Clio 182 FF & Cups
He recieved the item last monday and has already give me very positive feedback, and I quote "Excellent seller - Would use anytime, Brill item very happy!". What makes me even more suspicious (sp?) is that i know that these stereos are a little deeper that normal units (to accomadate the screen) and so do not fit fully into some dash board holes. They even provide extra brackets in the box to space the unit off to stop it striking anything else within the dash boards. I had the unit fitted first in my saxo then the 172 and in both these dashes there is plenty of space so I didn't damage it. I think he had a go himself at the week end, fcuked it up as it wouldn't fit so has left it to a professional and this guy has pointed out his mistake, now he wants me to be the fall guy!

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
fight it all the way !
do you have any pics of the stereo ? more importantly any of the back of it ?
that way you could show that when you sold it was fine.

Tbh I bet the buyer has naused it up themselves & is looking for a way out.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
23   0   0
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
cat171 said:
fight it all the way !
do you have any pics of the stereo ? more importantly any of the back of it ?
that way you could show that when you sold it was fine.

Tbh I bet the buyer has naused it up themselves & is looking for a way out.

Agree with above . Sounds a bit dodgy , like either himself or the fitter has damaged it and he's tryin it on to get his money back .

I guess you just have to be straight with the guy , tell him it was in perfect working order when you sent it . After a certain time has passed how can you possibly be expected to give a refund .

MrBillyUK !

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  Oyster Card
The positive feedback you've recieved will help you no ends.
Your case being the buyer should have checked it over before leaving feedback stating he's happy with it. Of course he probably did and found nothing wrong with it - until he leaves it to the pikey round the corner to fit it for a score.

Trader Rating - 100%
2   0   0
  Shhh
Assuming your setup with PayPal on your bank account via Direct Debit....id cancel this with the bank asap. That way they cannot get the cash from your bank account. If you have a credit card registered, or a bank card registered ask for new numbers. You can get them changed, say you think they have been copied as you lost your wallet and found it etc...

I had both credit card numbers changed for free. New numbers are issued on switch cards when a new card is ordered.

Just consider that if they are going to take £300 back, you want to make it so it cant be done. If you need to take cash out the paypal account at the moment, find someone with a PayPal account and pay them the cash and get them to give it you.

Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  Megane Mk4
Did you mark your ebay listing as used? not under warranty? no garantee etc?

If you didnt then you might have an uphill struggle with it, But if you've clearly marked it as such then you can always point it out to the buyer that you had and send him the link for the auction. It really is a question of if you can proove that it wasn't damaged when you took it out too.

But if you think he's being unreasonable then if he's left you positive feedback and you've left him positive then I suggest you basically tell him to stick it up his ass. Ebay make it quite clear the last thing you ever do is leave feedback after you've checked and made sure everything is fine.

Andi

Trader Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Should always add a disclaimer or whatever on the bottom of the auction/receipt saying 'sold as seen' will get you out of trouble like this most the time as they have to have agreed to it to buy the item. Learnt this when I sold my bike years ago, forgot to add sold as seen and ended up having to pay for the head to be repaired, exhaust replaced, cylinder head replaced, new oil etc etc. If I added sold as seen, there's nothing theycould've done once they handed the money over as they agreed to the contract

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  133/225/CLS AMG
I'd dig my heels in on this one mate. If you know it left you in good condition and that it was properly packaged I'd say the buyer has damaged it.

The whole sold as seen bit is worth rememebering though. Thats what I made the buyers of my last two Clios sign when I sold it too them.

Trader Rating - 0%
0   0   0
  TT 225
If the above advice fails, try telling him to claim on your postal insurance (assuming you paid for some for such an item) as it was in perfect condition when it left your possession.

Trader Rating - 100%
5   0   0
  Clio 182 FF & Cups
Heard from him aagin this morning, he claims he saw the damage when it first arrived but thought nothing of it, yeah right!! Why leave me glowing feedback then. The item was listed as used but in good working. He is already trying to have the unit repaired which makes me even more suspicious. He is sending me photo's today so i'll have a look at them and go from there. As for the paypal thing I have never had a direct debit with them, I use my switch card. However they don't have the details of my new card as it's only a month old and I haven't used with them as yet. Don't really want to loose the use of my paypal account though as I use it a bit. The more and more I think about it, the more I think he can go get thomas cooked!!

Dafthead

ClioSport Club Member
Trader Rating - 100%
3   0   0
  MB EQC
Call his bluff, tell him you have pictures of it, dated with the day you sent it, in case this happened, as it's happened before.

Trader Rating - 100%
10   0   0
i get things like this alot, dig your heels in and prepare for a fight, either the installer has done it (or its him), cant see someone buying a stereo of ebay then getting a proper installer to fit it !!, they probably damaged it ramming it into the dash
i had a simillar thing a while back and when i checked with previous sellers who he bought off and they nearly all had the same issues with the person, so i emailed him back telling him what i found out and he never got back to me.