ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

economical driving

clio rxe
How do i get best economy out of my driving? heard on f1 yesterday talking about short shifting (changing gear at lower rev than normal) as one way, does this actually work? does drving in 5th as much as possible help also?

trying to drive economical can be difficult , what mpg are you returning atm ?

using 5th gear is a good option but not at very low speed , labouring the gears can do harm aswell .

try changing gears smoother at lower revs to normal and try rolling as best possible (out of gear in neutral) .

sometimes traffic , stop / starting can be bad for your fuel economy .

I'm sure I read somewhere that you actually use more fuel rolling down a hill in neutral than just rolling down in gear without your foot on the throttle. Never knew whether there was any truth behind it though, and this thread seems as good as any to ask lol.

I'm sure I read somewhere that you actually use more fuel rolling down a hill in neutral than just rolling down in gear without your foot on the throttle. Never knew whether there was any truth behind it though, and this thread seems as good as any to ask lol.

i tried it on the way to barmouth and returned 42.7 mpg , remembering there more hills, slopes than motorways speeds :D

FF-Cupped 182 '05
The shift light tells you the most economic time to shift, that's why it's green..:clown: .

Just buy an Aygo when you're worried about fuel consumption.

The shift light tells you the most economic time to shift, that's why it's green..:clown: .

i was under the impression that the shift light tells you are exceeding recommended parameters in that gear :quiet: .

BMW M4; S1000 RR

i was under the impression that the shift light tells you are exceeding recommended parameters in that gear :quiet: .

exceeding recommended parameters... lol

Shouldn't be looking down there if you're booting it anyway, practice and use the limiter as the "you forgot to change up" warning.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
Revs and gear-changes make little difference in the real world to fuel consumption.

Using the brakes does. Aim to avoid touching them at all costs and you'll see an extra 10% mpg (if not more) easily.

It's all about smoothness, reading the road, and planning ahead.

Clio & Mitsu ASX
All depends on the engine-type.

Smooth acceleration, and try to keep a constant speed. If you have a boardcomputer, that can tell you how much you actually use. (or give you an indication of it)
I know that with my car (dci) it's around 2000rpm. And in 5th gear that's around 90km/h.

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Best way to save fuel is to pay attention to the road conditions. You have to be aware of what the cars/lights around you are doing to avoid harsh braking and accelerating.

53 Clio's & counting
try to drive gental and smooth,and you will see a good increase,by working out how much my fuel costs and how many miles i do i average 37 mpg