ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ecotek & Power Boost Valves

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
Anyone know if both of these are any good as Ive heard good things about the power gain from a boost valve but not heard much about an ecotek valve?

ive heard if u get a rolling road tune instead of just fitting them then its loads better. only crap if you dont do anything else. apparently....

Mégane RS
Got a ecotek and a fse powerboost valve, there ok tbh, slight improvement, ecotek saves a little bit of fuel, say at 60mph my car would rev at 3000rpm and now with ecotek it revs at 2600-2700

Mégane RS
No it doesnt do anything to your gearbox, It is a small, valve which is fitted into one of the vacuum lines on the engine. It works by firstly bleeding off a small amount of air at tick-over which improves emissions without affecting smooth running, secondly at medium revs it oscillates, creating pulses of air which cause turbulence in the manifold and thirdly at high revs it creates a vortex or swirl in the inlet gasses. The effect of all this is better response, lower emissions, cleaner acceleration and improved fuel economy

I think his point is that you cannot be doing 60mpg at 2600-2700rpm where you were doing 60mph at 3000rpm previously, it is defying several physical law.

And again, i wont go into the reasons why they dont work as i've done that a million times, just do a search and see why it wont be doing the things it claims or that you've highlighted.

Both are useless.

Audi TT 225
eco-tek is pants and bad for your car.
Between gear changes as you come off the throttle it bleeds air into the manifold and keeps the revs high...
Had one on my fiesta sport and I closed it off, taped it up and never used it again!!!!

To be honest, I installed on my clio and only give a little bit fuel economy. Fortunately, I do notice sharper throttle response and rev freely especially at high rev. Good for the price.
I investigate the product for a long time with wideband lambda sensor. It will only induce 5% more air into the intake, it will not affect much on the AFR but it creates a swirl which benefit the effectiveness of the intake pressure. When the pedal is released, it will bleed some intake air but it will not damage to the engine. For normal car, it's lean as low as 20+ AFR, and it's normal as no fuel is needed unless no load.

BenR said:
no it wont.........put it in the bin.

Come on BenR. I tried on many cars, like EVO, FTO, Benz, Charade, Odyssey, Civic EK, Nissan S14, ..... both me and the owners feel the difference before and after installing so. I measure the emission too and close to zero emission on my EVO4 with decat. Horrible? It may not work on some cars, maybe due to mis-tuned or something but it's not completely useless. Please share your experience on this device.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
When it comes to engines and tuning I believe Ben! That and the fact that the advertising standards agency made them change there advertising because the claims could not be proven.

Ecotec and PBV's are a pile of tosh, tuning for the uneducated. They dont work, anyone for a placebo ? i can sell you one for the bargain price of £250 and you'll get 30bhp out of it :rolleyes:

richard691

ClioSport Club Member
  Twingo RS133 & 172
If they dont work why are they in the demon tweeks catalogue and other major auto part stores?

sales = profit

heres a massive tip.....efi system inject zero fuel when your off throttle on overrun, the ecotek only bleeds air into a system when manifold vacuum is present (take one apart and it is nothing but a plastic T peice, a spring and a plastic washer).........and the gain from bleeding air into an engine which isnt burning fuel anyway.....zero.

Plus, efi systems correct fueling to a certain value, so if you bleed air in, it simply adds more fuel...net result......zero.

in the bin we go!

richard691 said:
If they dont work why are they in the demon tweeks catalogue and other major auto part stores?

Just because someone sells it doesnt mean it works. In the same way that speed camera number plate spray doesnt. If a mug will buy it someone will sell it.

OK, let's explain why I got positive result on the cars I mentioned before? It's not GUESSWORK and theory only, it's the fact. Explanation please.

Taxi Two said:
Come on BenR. I tried on many cars, like EVO, FTO, Benz, Charade, Odyssey, Civic EK, Nissan S14, ..... both me and the owners feel the difference before and after installing so. I measure the emission too and close to zero emission on my EVO4 with decat. Horrible? It may not work on some cars, maybe due to mis-tuned or something but it's not completely useless. Please share your experience on this device.

Good thing you are using good and proven scientific method to back up your statements. I had a poo before i drove my car last week and i swear it was faster :rolleyes:

Taxi Two said:
OK, let's explain why I got positive result on the cars I mentioned before? It's not GUESSWORK and theory only, it's the fact. Explanation please.

go on then, i'm waiting for the explanation.

Tesla MP3 2021
TBH.....ecotek valve i found to be a waste of money....didnt really notice a save i fuel and deffo didnt alter the RPM, and the main downside is the noise the valve makes when the throttle is released(sounds like a drowning donkey)......and the FSE...i had one on my old car ZR 1.4 which i had running at 125bhp from 103bhp and the guys at the RR played with it and said it does make a difference....but not worth £99 tbh..

Uncleiven said:
TBH.....ecotek valve i found to be a waste of money....didnt really notice a save i fuel and deffo didnt alter the RPM, and the main downside is the noise the valve makes when the throttle is released(sounds like a drowning donkey)......and the FSE...i had one on my old car ZR 1.4 which i had running at 125bhp from 103bhp and the guys at the RR played with it and said it does make a difference....but not worth £99 tbh..

FSE is a fuel pressure regular. Increase the pressure and the injector will inject more fuel into the engine. It will alter the AFR. If your engine is running lean, richen it by increase the fuel pressure will have power gain, back to normal. If it's already rich, then richen the mixture will make the power even poor. It's not a bolt on performance parts but need to know how it works.

Just like Ecotek, if it doesn't work, it's impossible to get aggresive result. If any, you need to find out why instead of screaming it's useless. Be scentific. No guesswork. If you insist, then please help to explain to me why I got aggressive results after installing them. I remind, it's not guesswork, I measure the changes of AFR, horsepower and emission by proper equipment instead of just GUESS.

Taxi Two said:
For whom telling people that this product is sh*t, please give explanation also. I would like to hear too.

Why do people always leave it upto me.

In simple terms, otherwise i would rant on and on and waste more of my life saying the same thing about this product.

It works on vacuum.....vacuum and relative vacuum is only present on overrun, idle and very low throttle openings.

This means

-It will not work on full throttle since the relative vacuum is zero.

-And it cannot lean off mixture, for the very reason why closed loop running was designed. If you introduce a small air leak then the ecu will register a change in engine running conditions and add more fuel to bring the afr upto a stoichiometric value. For someone who knows all about ECU's and has been playing with an AFR gauge for 2 years (as you posted in the other thread) i would of expected you to know the very basics, and realise that your doing nothing.

- It cannot generate swirl in an inlet manifold mixture. Why? Because its on the brake servo line, it has the pass a 90 degree bend, then down a convoluted tube, then reach the inlet manifold.....do you really think any sort of engineered in swirl from the souce would reach the inlet manifold? Secondly, fuel is injected right at the inlet port on the head, not anywhere near the plenham, so any mixture is already laminated whilst travelling down the runner, and fuel usually sits behind the valve for a period before it even opens anyway.......so that theory is null and void.

- OH, and if it introduced 5% more air into the inlet manifold then your engine would be sitting at above 2000rpm at idle, 5% is ALOT, not a little....not to mention the havoc your playing with what your ECU is 'seeing'.

- To add one more thing, on your turbo cars.......they have boost.....and as such these cars do not allow boost to reach the brake servo...thus the ecotek isnt even working when the engine is making any relative positive boost.

I've been told quite alot about you taxi two and your shenannigans in Hong Kong, i used to live there. Most of it is not very impressive for a car shop owner behaviour.

Now its upto you to tell me why it could possibly work.

Taxi Two said:
FSE is a fuel pressure regular. Increase the pressure and the injector will inject more fuel into the engine. It will alter the AFR. If your engine is running lean, richen it by increase the fuel pressure will have power gain, back to normal. If it's already rich, then richen the mixture will make the power even poor. It's not a bolt on performance parts but need to know how it works.

Just like Ecotek, if it doesn't work, it's impossible to get aggresive result. If any, you need to find out why instead of screaming it's useless. Be scentific. No guesswork. If you insist, then please help to explain to me why I got aggressive results after installing them. I remind, it's not guesswork, I measure the changes of AFR, horsepower and emission by proper equipment instead of just GUESS.

Its actually a rising rate FPR, and if you bump the baseline pressure up your rate of increase for low relative manifold vacuum will be much higher, in most cases over richening. If you were serious about things you wouldnt waste your time with FPR's and you would just remap the ecu to adjust the fueling where it is needed.

Remember, i come from HK, so i know the tuning industry there and i know what its like..........crap springs to mind.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
I have had both products running in conjuction on 2 cars. I can't give the scientific reasoning like BenR but I can say both products are pants.
I fitted the Ecotek first onto my Metro GTI 16v and it did nothing but try to ruin the induction noise and mess around with the idle speed. I then fitted a PBV and the car just felt flat afterwards.
I then removed both products and gave them a crack on my 2.0 16v Cavalier. Before fitting, the Cav' pulled well throughout the rev range. After the Ecotek, there were no changes other than the noise and dodgy idle speed. After the PBV and much adjustment, the best I could get was a slightly stronger pull up to about 2.5k. After that, there was a massive flat spot which I simply couldn't iron out.
Both products were removed and are about to go on Ebay.
Save your £150 and fit some decent discs and pads. You can brake later and 'actually' go faster then.
Unless Pub talk is your thing.

like i said, the pbv will work fine when at low rpm/throttle opening, but once you wind it up it just dumps in too much fuel for most applications.

BenR said:
Why do people always leave it upto me.

In simple terms, otherwise i would rant on and on and waste more of my life saying the same thing about this product.

It works on vacuum.....vacuum and relative vacuum is only present on overrun, idle and very low throttle openings.

This means

-It will not work on full throttle since the relative vacuum is zero.

-And it cannot lean off mixture, for the very reason why closed loop running was designed. If you introduce a small air leak then the ecu will register a change in engine running conditions and add more fuel to bring the afr upto a stoichiometric value. For someone who knows all about ECU's and has been playing with an AFR gauge for 2 years (as you posted in the other thread) i would of expected you to know the very basics, and realise that your doing nothing.

- It cannot generate swirl in an inlet manifold mixture. Why? Because its on the brake servo line, it has the pass a 90 degree bend, then down a convoluted tube, then reach the inlet manifold.....do you really think any sort of engineered in swirl from the souce would reach the inlet manifold? Secondly, fuel is injected right at the inlet port on the head, not anywhere near the plenham, so any mixture is already laminated whilst travelling down the runner, and fuel usually sits behind the valve for a period before it even opens anyway.......so that theory is null and void.

- OH, and if it introduced 5% more air into the inlet manifold then your engine would be sitting at above 2000rpm at idle, 5% is ALOT, not a little....not to mention the havoc your playing with what your ECU is 'seeing'.

- To add one more thing, on your turbo cars.......they have boost.....and as such these cars do not allow boost to reach the brake servo...thus the ecotek isnt even working when the engine is making any relative positive boost.

I've been told quite alot about you taxi two and your shenannigans in Hong Kong, i used to live there. Most of it is not very impressive for a car shop owner behaviour.

Now its upto you to tell me why it could possibly work.

Then ever meansure up the emission, AFR and manifold pressure after installing Ecotek to observe the change on settings? It's to find out whether the device is work or not instead of theory only. Even if you install it and got no gain or even worse, there're many form factors which will make it go worst, inproperly install will lose brake power, inproper tuning will cause lumpy idle and poor throttle response. That all I face before and after fixing up for them, they can feel the difference.

Just like coilover system, even if I installed the Ohlins coilover onto the car, without proper setup, it will not perform as well as factory dampers.

Yes, I heard lot of people telling others that it doesn't work. In the meantime, a lot of people here observed positive result but you all just ignore them. Do you think it's too subjective or something? To explain, don't explain why they don't work. Try to explain why people find they work instead.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
Taxi Two said:
Then ever meansure up the emission, AFR and manifold pressure after installing Ecotek to observe the change on settings? It's to find out whether the device is work or not instead of theory only. Even if you install it and got no gain or even worse, there're many form factors which will make it go worst, inproperly install will lose brake power, inproper tuning will cause lumpy idle and poor throttle response. That all I face before and after fixing up for them, they can feel the difference.

Just like coilover system, even if I installed the Ohlins coilover onto the car, without proper setup, it will not perform as well as factory dampers.

Yes, I heard lot of people telling others that it doesn't work. In the meantime, a lot of people here observed positive result but you all just ignore them. Do you think it's too subjective or something? To explain, don't explain why they don't work. Try to explain why people find they work instead.
How can you improperly install an Ecotek? You cut a pipe, stick it in the middle then turn a screw until it makes a horrible noise, then wind back a 1/4 of a turn. Can't really do it wrong.
In terms of measurement, my Cavalier went for an MOT with the FSE and Ecotek fitted and failed spectacularly, the emmisions were sky high.
I also have a feeling that due to dumping in too much fuel, the FSE went some way to help destroying the engine and catalytic convertor on the Cavalier.
Now where were those good experiences?

If you cant even do your own catback exhaust installation without going into some state of paranoia, how do you epect us to believe the below.

And why do i need to explain why they do work if they dont?

I've tried them on several cars, so its not like i'm making my opinions up on a one sided storey, i have tried them........then put them in the bin.

Taxi Two said:

every car that we have had in for mot that has an ecotek always fails the emissions, they take it off, connect the pipe back together, and well, suprise suprise, it passes.

If they were that good then a major car manufacturer like ford etc would have bought the idea and it would be in place on every modern car, but simply it isnt because they are a waste of cash might as well get your £99 and place a bet on Wolves winning this years premiership title.