ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ECU Chip (172 CUP)

I am looking to but a 172 CUP (Late spring / early summer) because it fit the bill for me. I don't want to mess around with the car per se but I am thinking of going to GDI to get braided brake hoses to improve the pedal and I am tempted to upgradethe ECU chip if it really improves driveability.

From what I understand the factory set the standard chip up to produce optimum mpg at the quoted speeds and not across the whole range and basically it is a compromise; the aftermarket chips optimise the performance across the range and at the same time remove flat spots.... I think!

Has anyone fitted the chip in isolation? (As opposed to with new cams etec etc, and if so, what results did you get (and for what cost)? I don't want to spend £400+ on a tiny return unless it really makes a difference to the driveability. I think Super Chips do one for about £300.

Can anyone recommend reputable companies as I have heard some awful tales where amteurs have mapped chips themselves and sold them on as the real thing! As the old adage goes "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing!!!!"

You'll gaian abit midrange and some Hp top end but 2~5hp at best with some more modifications then you'll get a bit more.
Yozzasport do remaps for £350 Hillpower and chipwizards are about the same prices for custom remaps.
GDI do SMT6 for £500 but they can be remapped at a leter date for cheap.

Thanks for the reply.

What is SMT6? I presume this is a mapable chip whch would work well in conjunction with other modifications and if that is the case it isn't what i am looking for. I just want to optimise the standard car after all 170+ BHP through the front wheels is still alot in my book, I really don't want to spoil the driveability.

Green George said:
What is SMT6? I presume this is a mapable chip whch would work well in conjunction with other modifications and if that is the case it isn't what i am looking for. I just want to optimise the standard car after all 170+ BHP through the front wheels is still alot in my book, I really don't want to spoil the driveability.
SMT6 is a chip which adds fueling to your stock mapping it adds the extra amount of fuel your engine needs so say 105 more injection opening at 2k 15% more at 3k etc.
Stock car is 166.6hp though 172 was a Frnech Hp a UK Hp is a stronger hp so you don't get as manay it was just a way of making the cars seem more powerful than they realy are.
RSport do replacmetn ecu with uprated maps there superb value at £200 or so plus you cna now reuse them as a fast chips have found a way of blanking the memory of them so that they can be resold and resused. However there not custom maps so not perfect.

Thanks for the advice.

I have been getting quotes from confused.com who I have to say are very good. I have been quoted £532 for comprehensive insurance with protected NCB. Just for fun(?) I got a quote through them with a modified CHIP and the only quote was £1124. Absolute day light robbery so I will be shelving the uprated ECU idea!!

But like I said thanks for your advice.

R35 GTR
I pay 70 extra ontop of 890 a year for fully comp, for my viper and smt6.

Plus i only have 1 year no claims discount.

I tried to get a quote from them (Greenlight) today and they were absolutely useless as they won't even insure a Clio CUP as they don't have ABS. Their quote for a FF was either £860 or £890 which was not competitive with confused .com who quoted £532 for a Clio CUP and I would expect the FF to be slightly cheaper.

Bearing in mind they are recommended by this site and apparently offer a good discount I think their performance is pretty poor.