ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ECU module deletes

Clio 172 Cup
Please forgive me if I'm completely wrong here, but my understanding is that the difference between ecu's from a standard 172, standard 182 and 172 cup, is only the modules programmed into them.
Is it possible to delete modules such as steering angle, traction control etc from a standard 172/182 ecu, and make it work in a 172 cup without any warning lights coming on?
If the answer is yes, does anybody have the hardware and software to do this (I assume it would be the Clip software that's needed)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Kind of - The software running across the entire vehicle network and individual machines is what determines which functions are deployed. The problem you’ll have is that clone CLIP won’t give you access to the software library and even if you did have access, it doesn’t list everything for you to simply browse, select and deploy.

It would automate the process to look at the vehicles VIN and Fabrication dates and then find the specific factory software required for whatever module it is you were after. You wouldn’t be able to trick NRE in to giving you the wrong software, not without a technical code at least (like we do for the Mk4 Clio RS Transmission updates).

You’d need to find someone that can access the raw data stored on the EEPROM and dump a completely different version to your unit. You’d then also need to Virginia that unit to remove/edit VIN and Imob code details. It’s all very achievable but it’s not something CLIP will allow.

Clio 172 Cup
Kind of - The software running across the entire vehicle network and individual machines is what determines which functions are deployed. The problem you’ll have is that clone CLIP won’t give you access to the software library and even if you did have access, it doesn’t list everything for you to simply browse, select and deploy.

It would automate the process to look at the vehicles VIN and Fabrication dates and then find the specific factory software required for whatever module it is you were after. You wouldn’t be able to trick NRE in to giving you the wrong software, not without a technical code at least (like we do for the Mk4 Clio RS Transmission updates).

You’d need to find someone that can access the raw data stored on the EEPROM and dump a completely different version to your unit. You’d then also need to Virginia that unit to remove/edit VIN and Imob code details. It’s all very achievable but it’s not something CLIP will allow.
thanks for the feedback. Like you say, it can be done but it's no simple task.

I think it will be easier for me to just pick up a second hand 172 cup ecu.

Cheers

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Somewhere like EFI or RSTuning will be able to clone your existing unit, if you have one.

Clio 172 Cup
My current ECU has a modified map on it already, courtesy of EFI.

Problem is, the modified ECU is hit or miss on emissions when it comes to MOT time. Out of three MOT's, i have had one pass and two fails.
My plan is to get hold of a standard 172 Cup ECU, and use that to get through MOT's, and then switch back to the modified EFI ECU for the sprint racing season.

The reason for this post, was because i was wondering if i could modify a non Cup 172 ECU, to make it work like a standard 172 Cup ECU, because standard 172 ecu's seem to be more available second hand.

From what you are saying above, i would need a standard 172 Cup ECU, that EFI could then clone the information off, and then transfer it to a non Cup 172 ECU. And if that's the case, i am back to square one in that i would need a standard 172 Cup ECU.