ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ECU reading + altering

1.6 16v clio priv
Where can I get the kit to read/alter stuff from the ECU.
Like reading error codes, altering ignition timing etc...

dnatuning.com
gunnergibson said:
You need a prog called WinOls and also an eprom reader writer.. then study the art of tuning. lol.

It's not even that easy! WinOLS is indeed the industry standard program we use, you also need to either use a good OBD reading tool(some have known to fry ECU's) or have a state of the art desolder station(your weller won't do in all honesty) we use a hot air vacuum pick up system, then an EPROM programmer.

You're then faced with a 1024kb file of what will look like completely random hexadecimal with virually no indication of what any of it means, to recognise fully you'd need the factory file which outside the factory doors rarely exists.....

Someone with many years experience and skill will be able to recognise certain patterns and be able to find areas to adjust.

You're probably looking at £5k for all the gear, and another £3k to live map, experience and knowledge you can't buy ;)

Basically if you want your teeth fixing you go to a dentist who has all the right tools and training, you wouldn't after all try to fix your teeth in the garage with a cordy drill and some gripfix would you! :)

Last edited:
  R35 GTR
bigmonmulgrew said:
John you sound like you are a pro who dosent like ppl learning to do it for themselves

no offence, I think what he says is true, I wouldnt want to try mapping my own car unless there was a program that did it for me automatically, but afaik there isn't . Best left to the guys who know what they're doing, unless you want to start up a business?

John, As far as hex files go , how do you see patterns?:S

dnatuning.com
bigmonmulgrew said:
John you sound like you are a pro who dosent like ppl learning to do it for themselves

No just being realistic, if you want to play around feel free, but it's really no walk in the park!

You DO need the proper equipment to do this otherwise you WILL knacker your ECU or blow up your car.

To change the code within the chip itself you need the right software that will checksum the code you alter, otherwise the ECU will assume the chip is faulty, simple as that.

And modern chips aren't as easy to solder as the older ones, or the push in modules. If you make a mistake a lift a track on your PCB you're going down a complicated path.

If it was easy everyone would be doing it.

dnatuning.com
Dave3141 said:
no offence, I think what he says is true, I wouldnt want to try mapping my own car unless there was a program that did it for me automatically, but afaik there isn't . Best left to the guys who know what they're doing, unless you want to start up a business?

John, As far as hex files go , how do you see patterns?:S

Three bottles of wine and an hour on etch a sketch then I compare! lol

No seriously, it's just like learning another language really, after time you see things time and time again, helps to learn with the VAG stuff we do as we have factory files on alot of those, I'm just a beginner really, the other guys I work with crack the obd seeds and handshake protocols for some of the flashing hardware we do with Porsche, BMW and VAG, thats the real serious s**t.
It's not just about recognising tables but also the factors used for multiplication as well.
Next thing they're working on is the 128bit RSA encryption for new BMW ME9 systems, it uses financial sector level encryption....

None of it is learnt overnight or taught anywhere, it's experience.

I think the point john is making is that having a go yourself is perfectly fine, but for a tuning company to delve into it without a comprehensive understanding and experience, well, its asking for trouble.

RSA encryption - good luck!! Computer nerd here - remember reading about a project to break the 1st ever RSA code - took 1000 computers sync'd together!! You could always go the Saddam route and try 500 PS2's linked to run his missile control lol -- on a serious note, though, would be very interested from a tech point of view if you could break RSA

1.6 16v clio priv
John I am aware how hard it its. and I will take it easy. As for hex code. I've dabbled in it since I was a kid. I claim to be no expert but it certainly isnt that daunting.
My main use for this type of software would actually be on the impreza not the clio.
Has a decat and new filter. There are pre written ecu maps on the internet. Will of course be careful though and thanks for your concern

dnatuning.com
Bobbywhacker said:
RSA encryption - good luck!! Computer nerd here - remember reading about a project to break the 1st ever RSA code - took 1000 computers sync'd together!! You could always go the Saddam route and try 500 PS2's linked to run his missile control lol -- on a serious note, though, would be very interested from a tech point of view if you could break RSA

Indeed yeah it is that big a task....

dnatuning.com
bigmonmulgrew said:
John I am aware how hard it its. and I will take it easy. As for hex code. I've dabbled in it since I was a kid. I claim to be no expert but it certainly isnt that daunting.
My main use for this type of software would actually be on the impreza not the clio.
Has a decat and new filter. There are pre written ecu maps on the internet. Will of course be careful though and thanks for your concern

Yeah the software available for the Evo's and Scoobies is good, it points out all the bits to change and there are indeed other maps available, a little more to play around with on those as they've boost into the equation also. The thing with the Bosch stuff is there are various bits that aren't so obvious, I just introduced an Evo tuner abroad into the Bosch stuff and he admitted it's another world.