ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

eeek no oil :o(

whats considered normal oil use on 182 ? I have only done around 3500 miles but when i checked the oil thismorning (in car not dipstick) it was down to 1 blob. :eek:s

gonna have to book it in for a top up / get the oil from renault, but if it is using oil should they pay for it under warantee ?

no way will it last to its 12K service. Is this normal for the first few thousand miles ?

What oil do i need to get ?

thanks

2008 Golf GTI Edition 30

Thats not normal.

But... they wont pay for it... Oil is classed as a consumable etc.

However, I would book it in ASAP as it sound like you have quite possibly a major oil leak.

ST

I dont mean to be cheeky mate but how hard/fast have you been driving it? Because if a car is driven hard/fast for long periods of time it will use more oil than norma (someone correct me if im wrong).

i dont think the dash reading is very accurate.

I would check it properly before you panic.

The one on my 172 was all over the place but in reality the oil never moved.

well i suppose i drive it quite hard but no harder than i did with my 172 and that never/hardly used any oil, it always lasted to its service anyway

theres no sign of any oil on the drive and i had the engine cover off to check for oil there to but no sign of any, can only assume its burning the stuff but theres no blue smoke.

oh well looks like its the first trip to renault for me

Not a Clio

Quote: Originally posted by newbie, old172 on 29 March 2005
gonna have to book it in for a top up / get the oil from renault, but if it is using oil should they pay for it under warantee ?

erm... let me get this right... you are going to take it to renault to top your oil up because it wont last until the scheduled service date?

megane coupe F7R

Hot running engines always burn oil, especially if thrashed alot. Check it properly anyway and then top it up.

tiTTy & SV650

my 182 used a fair bit of oil during the run in period, as for what Oil Synthetic 5W-40, I got Elf Excellium through Total Butler.

Check the dispstick though as has been said, French Electronics should never be relied upon...

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy

ive done 7500miles since september and i have put in 1 and a half litres of oil.

i reckon it will easily get through another litre before service.

Skoda Fabia vRS

as above really, check the dipstick, its not worth takin it to Renault, jus buy some oil and put it in, after doing so few miles id avoid fully synthetic until you pass 5k at least

hey give me chance :eek:)

just been out to check the dipstick and its reading just below the two notches so just under half full, checked the reading on the dash and it now shows 3 blobs, doh. So panic over for the moment.

I was only gonna book it in as i was concerned it was using up its oil way to fast. Will top it up and see how it goes

Ford Fiesta

mine used a bit up until 6K when I had an oil and filter change using 5w40 synthetic not noticed any used since then, now on 10500miles.

Ziel Nurburgring

Just nailed mine across europe, autobahned and some hard laps of the Nurburgring. 1200 odd miles in 4 days and the oil hasnt moved. Still looks like the stuff i put in at the 12k service.

If youve used that much oil, i would get it looked at to be safe.

yes it was on level ground when a checked it, so will just put it down to gremlins in the electrical system.

after consulting the dipstick its down to around half full (between the two notches) after 3500 miles. Will top it up and keep an eye on it, certainly dont want renault poking around under the bonnent if i dont have to.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Checked mine at weekend - 3.5k on the clock. It was a midges todger under half-way on the dipstick. Chucked in another pint, just to top it up. Actually seems quieter at idle now and not as rattly..... Hmmmmmm.

D.

Mine regularly goes through a litre in 3k.

which is entirely reasonable. Some cars use up to 1 litre per 1k miles.

new engines can use a bit more oil than when run in as all the parts need time to bed in.

i cant believe newbie, you consider it a warrantee issue. its a good job you dont run an old car without an oil level indicator...